Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 22:37   #1

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Sailboats for Sale

No I'm not selling any.
Just an observation.

I have been looking to buy a 30-40' boat in the 20-60K range. I've seen many I like but I won't be ready to pull the trigger for a few months yet. So I've been looking, linking and setting aside adverts hoping they won't be sold.

I was getting upset that week after week a boat I liked was being sold, MY boat was being sold! Then I started looking at the date the Ad was placed and found that there are boats I like going on sale every week. I have stopped worrying, when the time comes there will be a boat I like enough to go look at, survey, and probably buy. Some of the old Ads are old for a reason.

There are a few that I truly grieve over, The Duchess on Lake Erie for one, beautiful boat, made for the North Sea, meaning it could go anywhere. But the others were just boats that met my needs (Before personal inspection).

Just now I am looking at a steel Spray replica (Bruce Roberts Plan C) that is priced really well. And an Alburg 37 that is nice but a bit over priced.

But pricing is only one consideration, what's in the boat and it's condition are what really count. A cheap boat you love is worth more the the expensive one you hate. Conversely, the expensive one you love is cheaper than the cheap one you try to "Fix up" to your needs. If I buy that $20K boat and put $40K in a refit will I have a $60K boat, or a real pretty $20K boat?

Thanks for letting me wag my jaw.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
A cheap boat you love is worth more the the expensive one you hate. Conversely, the expensive one you love is cheaper than the cheap one you try to "Fix up" to your needs. If I buy that $20K boat and put $40K in a refit will I have a $60K boat, or a real pretty $20K boat?

Thanks for letting me wag my jaw.
It depends if it is a $60k boat or a $20k boat. You can put more into any boat than you will ever get out if you try a little.

The question is, "Is it relevant?"

If you don't plan to sell the boat for a long time you will be the one who enjoys the upgrades you paid for as they slowly depreciate. Electronics and instruments will be "out of date" the day you buy them, for example. At $5000 worth of these won't be worth $5k when you sell.

Buy the boat that fits your needs and talks to you that won't cause 24 months worth of hard stand time before you can go sailing.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:50   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Sometimes opportunity only knock once as far as a particular mint boat goes...be prepared to move on that one if you can when it comes up, or watch it sail away with someone else at the helm and regret it forever.

There was one of these I could have had for 13,000.00 back in 1984 prettier then this one pictured..It was at a car show surrounded by 30+ trophies...tilted up on stands with mirrors underneath reflecting its underside it was so clean..I kick myself weekly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corvette - 58.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	19966  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:37   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
That reminds me of one of my biggest regrets from 1966. I could have bought a '63 Austin Healy 3000 priced at $600, but I passed it up for a '64 Triumph Spitfire for $950 because it had roll up windows....

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:48   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I could have bought gold for $15.00 an ounce in 1973.
My mom said no because it was too risky.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:05   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Don,
Hindsight is always 20/20. I think you are doing the right thing by being patient and are shopping around cautiously which is good and you realize condition is more important than features. Winter prices are better than spring and summer prices but I don't think the economic recovery is going to really turn around very soon. You mentioned just three boats you were pricing. The Alberg, because of its design, is the one I'd prefer.
Do you window shop on sailboatlistings.com ?
kind regards,
Old 10-10-2010, 12:08   #7

Don1500,
I think you will have a nice $20K boat more or less. I have yet to see money put into a boat come back out of a boat. I am sure it has been done, but it seems that, like real estate, the comparables are what drive price not how nice it is or how much you have put into it. So don't overbuild for the neighborhood, unless you are going to have a long term relationship.
Greg
Old 10-10-2010, 12:23   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I could have bought gold for $15.00 an ounce in 1973.
My mom said no because it was too risky.
That was a good price because gold was about $100 an ounce in 73.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:33   #9

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
That was a good price because gold was about $100 an ounce in 73.
Well, my memory is faulty then I guess.

Somewhere in there (68-74) my memory has it as 15. Though my memory is like, well, my memory.

Have I told you about my 54" Snook?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 13:13   #10

Greetings,
We've been watching a Jason 35 on Seattle Craigslist. My husband who is a rigger knew the shipwright before he passed away of a heart condition, and helped him with the rigging and mast. It's already been refit and it was originally built in 1992. Designed by Ted Brewer. Can't believe it's been on the market for over 2 years!!! His widow has recently dropped the price to 35k.
Hope you find something equally great!
Tacoma,
S/V Vision
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
That reminds me of one of my biggest regrets from 1966. I could have bought a '63 Austin Healy 3000 priced at $600, but I passed it up for a '64 Triumph Spitfire for $950 because it had roll up windows....
I found TWO completely restored 1953 MG-TD's at a DEALER (1969) for the unbelievable sum of $2000 for the two of them. Both were British racing green with brown leather interior. Decided to go to Viet Nam instead.
Finally got an MGA in '78.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Don,
Hindsight is always 20/20. I think you are doing the right thing by being patient and are shopping around cautiously which is good and you realize condition is more important than features. Winter prices are better than spring and summer prices but I don't think the economic recovery is going to really turn around very soon. You mentioned just three boats you were pricing. The Alberg, because of its design, is the one I'd prefer.
Do you window shop on sailboatlistings.com ?
kind regards,
Yep, And it is the yawl "Good News" in Kemah that I'm talking about. Very pretty boat but it is priced very high (~2X the NADA price). I'm still watching it because I have to go past Kemah on my way East (After I'm set to go) so I may stop and look. If it is in the pristine condition they claim it to be the price might be good. If I can just sail it away and not worry about going around Florida to Hampton, Va. But a good survey would be able to tell me that.

I do have others I am watching though, a couple of Tartans, 34c, 37c, a Luders 33, a couple of Capital Tall Rigs. The Luders I would not need to sail very far to get to where I plan on laying up for a the first year. The Spray replica is steel though. but a 40' steel boat may be too much for me to work.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Good luck Don,
It appears we were in Vietnam at the same time. Thanks for your service. I ended up with a '66 Triumph TR4A many years after wanting a bugeyed Sprite. Lucas, prince of darkness, you know. I like the Tartan 34c and the Luders 33. Type them in the search engine after my signature and you might find a forum discussion on them.
kind regards,
Old 11-10-2010, 11:28   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Do I get the impression you children havent grown up at all?
It used to be sports cars and now is just a slightly more expensive, larger model?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 13:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Do I get the impression you children havent grown up at all?
It used to be sports cars and now is just a slightly more expensive, larger model?
Mmm......ah.....Yes. SO?

I have a '05 Miata for sale (To help pay for the boat), anyone?

To paraphrase Queen: "Get in you boat and float!"