Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 20:48   #1

Sailboat removal and storage

If you don't have the equipment or place to put you're boat, What's the average cost or process ? Will most large docks do it all there?
joseph221980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:52   #2

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: Sailboat removal and storage

Look into local marinas, they may have the equipment and facilities to do that for you, at a cost.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:45   #3

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

From my research haul out runs from $10-$16 per foot. Storage will be all over the place depending on size of boat, location and length of storage. Just have to call on that one. But it usually is a significant amount.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 20:37   #4

Some long storage I'm not really worried about. I was mostly wondering about if I ever needed haul work or any type of work that needed the boat removed from the water and would the same place that removed the boat do the work I needed. I doubt they would let me handle the labor so I would just have to deal with the cost. I plan to buy something soon and just wanna be ready.
joseph221980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 08:54   #5

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph221980 View Post
If you don't have the equipment or place to put you're boat, What's the average cost or process ? Will most large docks do it all there?
Ditto flee27 on haul-out cost. Need to call around and find a marina that can haul your boat, provide long term dry storage on their cradle, shrink wrap and provide maintenance or allow your to perform maintenance yourself. Then contract for monthly storage. That is what I did when I needed to store my Hunter 386 out of the water for 3 years while I moved overseas. In the San Francisco Bay there are very few dry storage locations for a boat that size and larger but found one in the northern part of the bay up a river.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 11:12   #6

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph221980 View Post
Some long storage I'm not really worried about. I was mostly wondering about if I ever needed haul work or any type of work that needed the boat removed from the water and would the same place that removed the boat do the work I needed. I doubt they would let me handle the labor so I would just have to deal with the cost. I plan to buy something soon and just wanna be ready.

Not necessarily true. We still have some Do It Yourself (DIY) boat yards here and I would suspect you have some in your area. For some yards it depends on the work to be performed. We have a near local yard that allows boatwork but not bottom painting. You could do an internet search and send some emails. Then you'll also have it in writing. Some yards have pricing listed on their website.

Best Regards
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, removal, sail, sailboat, storage