Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 05:48   #1

Right Boat for Us?

Hello everyone,
We are looking to purchase our first sailboat. Currently looking at a 1984 Hunter40. It is in great shape and needs a little TLC for cosmetics and needs electronics upgrade. Otherwise a great boat.
We are a family of 4 looking for a sailboat to use somewhere on the New Jersey shore as a weekender. Go out and back for daytime sail and overnights. Our goal is to learn to sail, gain experiance and maybe in 5 years cruise the Bahammas for 3-4 months.

I test sailed her yesterday, and she handled great for me in mild conditions. I am NOT an experianced sailer at this time - but truly hope to join the ranks! I was comfortable behind the helm.

My question is - is this a good fit for our needs / goals? Cost wise, I know after the upgrades she will need standard maintenance and repairs, possiblly and new engine prior to our 5 yr goal of reaching the Bahamas. We have to start somewhere and she is in our price range. Any feedback or comments, negative or positive would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Sailing!
jmac304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:52   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, jmac, and welcome to CF.

I'm not all that personally familiar with the Hunter line (some of my friends have owned them), but your sailing aspirations are basically coastal in nature, and the boat you're considering would serve that purpose well, including the Bahamas. I believe the draft on that model is 6' 6", which would cause you to pick and chose where you go in the shallowest cruising areas of the Bahamas, but you'll still have plenty of options. It should be a great family sailboat for you.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:22   #3

Hunter Legend 40s were available in deep 6'6" draft or shoal 5' draft. I agree that the shoal draft would be better suited to some places in the Bahamas.

H40s are fast, roomy, comfortable, easy to sail boats and provide an excellent platform for extended Bahamas/Caribbean cruising. We boatsat one in Greneda for two weeks and loved it. I also crewed on one for 4 days - Cape May to Bermuda. However, these boats are old. So its all about condition, and only an expert can give you a proper evaluation of this particular boat. If her basic systems are in good condition and the price is right, she would be a good choice for your intended use.

For owner reviews, go here:

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/ind...=42&Itemid=170

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 13:55   #4

Thank you Hud3 and Slomotion. She is a shallow draft at 5'6". Any deal would be based on an inspection by an expert and would include haulout as she is currently in the water. Overall though she seems in good condition but will wait for the experts to confirm.

Again, many thanks for your thoughts.
jmac304 is offline   Reply With Quote