Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2017, 13:04   #121
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Retirement and boat purchase dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Thanks.. I know it was long winded. Sorry.
So Bob .......................what you planning on doing?

(Maybe we can be back on thread )
Old 24-07-2017, 14:12   #122

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

Don't plan on visitors. Plan for the two of you and who cares about the rest. Make them sleep in the cockpit. As for cash flow and funds, get a financial advisor. 300K is very little money and Social Security may not fill the gaps.
My current plan has my income doubling every 3 years but I have much more than 300K saved for retirement. Get a boat and sail her, refit as needed, and sail her, refit as needed and sail her. You can get a boat for 30+K and put 30K into refitting her for your sailing.
Make sure you know how/where you want to sail before you start kinking in funds to refit. After 6 months you may realize that you don't want to sail across oceans. The you just have to refit for coastal cruising.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 01:21   #123

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

Many many thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. When I posted it, I was down in the dumps thinking that uncle sam was going to take a large chunk of my hard earned money and didn't know how I was going to do what I had hoped and dreamed of doing for so long. Still feel down, but know it is workable and many of the issues I have are my own fault for piss poor planning over the years. Lost sight of the long view to power the short.
Still planning on retiring in May 3, 2020, which is 1013 days from today.
Doing more research on the money end of it, and will probably see a financial counselor at some point, although they will not see things the way I do for sure. Mostl likely go with a Morgan 383 or 384 and sail her when my wife can't come along. I will try to keep the purchase price down, not insure it, and keep out of the US as much as possible. I may not take Social security right away, but will probably get it as 62. Ben reading the retirement forums and learning some.
To all that have posted about learning to sail first, or to charter... I have owned 3 boats. I know how to sail. Have lived aboard for a bit. I know what it means to live in a small space. I don't need a 50 foot boat. Even they are small compared to a house. Most of my house is wasted space. Expensive to heat and cool.
I think, once my wife decides to retire, that renting out both homes, with SS and her teachers pension, will provide more that we need. Might not have to touch the 403b account and just let it grow. That would be the best.
Either way, I'm done working in less than 3 years. It will be good. I do not want to work part time while I cruise part time. When I leave, i'm done. Healthcare is getting to messed up for me to stay in it. And that type of job I do now doesn't lend itself to part time work. So, when I punch out for the last time, I'm done.
Bob
Old 25-07-2017, 05:29   #124

Boat: Catalina 470

We all need something to look forward to, you now do, good stuff.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 10:04   #125

Quote:
Lost sight of the long view to power the short.
Join 90% of the human race in that regard. (Probably more like 98%!)

Quote:
I may not take Social security right away, but will probably get it as 62.
Huh? 62 is the youngest that you are allowed to take Social Security retirement benefits. So, that's pretty much as "right away" as it gets.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 20:33   #126

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
This forum would indicate that every diesel engine is broken, every hull is damaged, every deck is soft, and don't even think about wiring, batteries, outboards, davits, watermakers, electronics, or sails. And whatever chartplotter you have, its definitely the wrong one ...
And that's why I read CF. Almost every day.
Because of the many critical posts and threads here, I have saved big money, avoided common pitfalls, improved safety on board, and made better choices with various gear and procedures.
Thanks to all for giving so much valuable information, warnings and recommendations all over CF. It's amazing how much time some of the members must be using just to post here about technical tips and the like.
I'm still a novice but hope I'll be able to give something back in future.
If I only wanted to know how to best enjoy a margarita, there are other sources for that.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 05:10   #127
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
If I only wanted to know how to best enjoy a margarita, there are other sources for that.
Do tell of this magical source!
Old 28-07-2017, 06:14   #128

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

https://www.thespruce.com/margarita-...-enjoy-4126747

The original margarita is from Ensenada.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...h_Jamaica.html

Of course.. I don't currently imbibe but you never know....

Tags
boat, men, purchase, retirement