Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2009, 16:47   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
"recent price reduction""owner anxious""bring all offers"

One of the things I have determined is that boat prices MAKE NO SENSE! Of note is that if any of the phases in this posting title is in the boat posting; it is code for the boat being overpriced for the market compared to the other choices, including the same model. You would think that the brokers would know that their listing is going to be right next to someone else's for the same model and it is going to be apparent they are out of line. I understand that people LOVE the boat that they are now SELLING, but come on those new in 2004 jib lines don't add $20k to the boat value! And when are things no longer "new", I think the current record I've seen is 14 years (the old that got replaced was only 10 years old when it lost the time battle).

Just venting!

PS - "needs comestic cleanup" is also apparently code for water damage requiring bulkheads and sole replacement along with any coring damage that came with the problem!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 17:09   #2

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Add to those, “needs some TLC.” Brokers of course are not entirely to blame, and are faced with the choice of accepting a listing for a boat which they know is overpriced, or loosing it to another broker. Theoretically, an overpriced boat will not sell, which gives the broker time to persuade the owner into a more realistic price, which might sell. Whereupon, the broker eventually makes a commission towards his livelihood, instead of nothing. I must say, on my own trails towards finding the ideal boat, I have actually been quite impressed with some brokers, in their explanations, photographs and general straightforwardness - notice I did not include veracity. But descriptions are still subjective and one man’s “TLC” is another man’s wreck. Buying boats still, and always will remain, a question of “Caveat emptor.”
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 19:54   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Guess you haven't ever bought a house or used car?? Isn't this a ubiquitous complaint by buyers everywhere for everything?

House for sale - "up and coming neighborhood", "minor updates needed", etc... or

Car for sale - "only driven on weekends in nice weather", "partially restored", etc...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 21:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post

Car for sale - "only driven on weekends in nice weather", "partially restored", etc...
I actually saw an add, a long time ago in Arizona, in the auto-trader of a corvette that was being sold. The picture was the car in the driveway with the rear bumper and trunk in the front seat.. It was smashed and totaled.

The add stated, "brand new before accident." I kid you NOT!!! LOL
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 22:19   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Hmmm....

1990 Wreck for sale 100k needs nothing, all wrecking already done..dings, scratches..owners even added some corroded wiring. blistering, and prestine wet core in places..Owners took little expence to make sure everythings working loose and ready for repairs as needed. This boat lacks for nothing..plenty to do.

Price is firm...but negocible...view by apointment only.

I dont know boys truth in advertisement just doesn't have the same curb appeal, does it...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 23:04   #6

Boat: C&C 38'
old photos

I like dated photos. I don't want to know what it looked like 2 years ago; I want to know what it looks like now! Another rant: The photo caption writer who does not know the boat's port and starboard.
Old 21-01-2009, 00:24   #7

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
I like dated photos. I don't want to know what it looked like 2 years ago; I want to know what it looks like now! Another rant: The photo caption writer who does not know the boat's port and starboard.
When I was looking at boats here, I too was wondering why some boats looked so much more run-down compared with the photos. Then I realized that many owners did nothing to keep the boat in shape after it was listed with the broker. Around here, the effects of the sun are brutal, and without care those photos "age" very quickly.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 04:03   #8
CLOD

Boat: none
I like photos in general. The ones I like best are "sistership shown". I always move to the front any boat that was so good that it wasn't worth taking a photo of :-)
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 09:00   #9

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Heh, yeah... I think pictures are there just to let you know that all the big things are there.

Pictures seem to do an especially good job of turning mold into off-white paint.

My current boat looked much better in pictures than she did when I visited the yard. It wasn't so much that she was dressed up for the photos, just that the photos were effective hiders of the indicators of neglect. A photo will never show you a wobbly counter-top, or an unsecure fiddle.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 09:30   #10

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Guess you haven't ever bought a house or used car??
True, but I don't think I have ever seen an add with a selling feature like this:

"NEW! Eight Track in 1979"

like you do in sailboat adds constantly. For my $$ nothing installed more then a year ago is "New".

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 11:25   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I like photos in general. The ones I like best are "sistership shown".
They never show the ugly sister either. Always buy the sister instead.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 11:45   #12

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat
Re: "recent price reduction""owner anxious""bring all offers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
They never show the ugly sister either. Always buy the sister instead.
So is that really a recent YOU in your profile pic?
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 17:44   #13

Sold my small 1980 sailboat recently. Buyer commented that it looked much better than its pictures and was in really good shape, as did others that saw it. It really was stored unused inside a heated building for last 25+ years and prior to that used by me probably less than a dozen times.

Not everyone out there is telling whoppers. Don't let the jerks destroy all your faith in your fellow man.
cherylchecheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:49   #14

We are now in a great position for our first purchase, we found the perfect looking yacht. I was in the middle of organising the logistics for the viewing which on its own would have cost us £400, when I stumbled upon some old snaps of the vessel, I know they were old as the vessel had a different name. The pictures were exactly the same as the new advertisement, same food on the shelves, books on the table clouds in the sky. Only the country of registration had changed. Also being sold with a new re fit 2019. Guess the search continues.
NicBeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:56   #15

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by scareygary View Post
So is that really a recent YOU in your profile pic?
That's his brother
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote