Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2015, 17:11   #1

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Purchasing & Shipping across Country

We purchased a Corsair 36' trimaran in B.C. Canada and used Sanders Brokerage in Washington State to handle all the customs paperwork and Single Entry Bond. Todd Nunamaker made the entire process smooth and easy. Highly recommended!

As for the shipping, we ran into problems with the original trailer, upon which we'd planned to have the boat towed here to Md. We were bailed out by Randy from Cardinal Boat Movers, who found a simple elegant solution of removing the trailer axles, and lifting the trailer frame with boat secured thereupon and setting the entire rig down onto a low boy trailer. He can haul any boat you might find and also has my highest recommendation.

Let me know if you need more information!

LeeV
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 07:30   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Re: Purchasing & Shipping across Country

Just bought my dream boat (Jeanneau 349) from a Cleveland broker and need to ship it to Stuart, FL. Looking for reputable quotes. Maybe you could give me your shippers info. Thx.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 08:22   #3

Call Randy at Cardinal Boat Movers. He's in BC Canada and 3 hours behind ESTime, but has partners in Fla and in the Carolinas if I recall correctly. He has shipped huge vessels and has a good reputation where I bought my boat. His number is 604-727-7048. Do let him know that Lee from Md with the trimaran recommended him! Good luck!
Old 16-11-2015, 02:59   #4

Thanks Lee. Will do.
Old 27-12-2015, 15:45   #5

Boat: Catalina 36, MK2 #1897

I had great service from Jim Burt at Great Lakes Boat Transport. http://www.yachtworld.com/greatlakes...smarine_1.html. Knows his stuff, permits, securing boat on trailer, great air ride equipment. Take it from some one who had a new to me Catalina 36 MKII dropped on the highway and totaled in 2012. Still have Bimini & Dodger & nice canvas available for sale - located in Western Wisconsin. Send me text to 608 then 797 then 9920.
Pgutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 14:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgutierrez View Post
I had great service from Jim Burt at Great Lakes Boat Transport. http://www.yachtworld.com/greatlakes...smarine_1.html. Knows his stuff, permits, securing boat on trailer, great air ride equipment. Take it from some one who had a new to me Catalina 36 MKII dropped on the highway and totaled in 2012. Still have Bimini & Dodger & nice canvas available for sale - located in Western Wisconsin. Send me text to 608 then 797 then 9920.

Yikes! Who was the shipper that dropped her?
Old 28-12-2015, 15:29   #7

Boat: Beneteau 393

Let me echo the recommendation for Jim Burt! He moved our B393 from Port Clinton to Mark Twain Lake near Hannibal, MO. He knows is stuff! Took care of all the details of loading at the marina and delivering to MTL. His price for a state of the art hydraulic/air ride trailer was cheaper than a local mover who had a much older basic trailer.

Be aware Jim is a little gruff...Just ignore his growling. He is a great guy! I WILL use him again when we move from MTL to Florida in a couple of years.

Great Lakes Marine Services (Port Washington, WI)
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 15:44   #8

When we purchased our 36' tri in B.C. Canada we had a great experience with the broker and customs broker, but then had (still have) a nightmare with the first shipper. The 2nd shipper was great - Randy Vik at Cardinalboatmovers and Jimmy Johnson at Wavemaker Yacht Transport. Had the vessel shrink wrapped, dismantled its trailer and loaded both on a lowboy and had it here in 8 days.
Old 28-12-2015, 19:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stillwell View Post
Let me echo the recommendation for Jim Burt! He moved our B393 from Port Clinton to Mark Twain Lake near Hannibal, MO. He knows is stuff! Took care of all the details of loading at the marina and delivering to MTL. His price for a state of the art hydraulic/air ride trailer was cheaper than a local mover who had a much older basic trailer.

Be aware Jim is a little gruff...Just ignore his growling. He is a great guy! I WILL use him again when we move from MTL to Florida in a couple of years.

Great Lakes Marine Services (Port Washington, WI)

Thx Mark. Yeah, I sort of got that impression in my initial chat with him ( Jim Burt is very direct). He did impress upon me that they would use a state of the art air ride trailer to ship my baby, only issue is I am moving south like you and Jim suggested that he would not go in that direction.
Old 29-12-2015, 04:31   #10

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

RK, I will second Great Lakes as a suggestion, I have dealt with them before and they were very knowledgeable, and quoted me a fair price.

I would also suggest Hurricane Marine Transport (Hurricane Marine Transport, Inc.). They are located right in Ohio near Lake Erie, and will be doing runs down to Florida in the spring to bring boats back north for the summer season. So they may have a trailer going south empty, and might give you a great quote(they moved my 50'er for $4500 from Tampa to Holland Mi).

Great Lakes are great to work with, but they also use their own trucks to move boats around the yard for launching in the spring, so getting them to move your boat might not happen come spring as early as you might like it to...just so you know.
Old 29-12-2015, 09:19   #11

Purchasing & Shipping across Country

Land cruiser, thx for the ref on HMT. I'll give them a call as Great Lakes apparently does not do the FL runs.
Old 29-12-2015, 16:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Land cruiser, thx for the ref on HMT. I'll give them a call as Great Lakes apparently does not do the FL runs.
You bet...keep on them if you are in a rush, as they sometimes are not the fastest to respond. They are family run, and pretty laid back, but very professional in what they do.

Great Lakes does do Florida runs, just the spring and fall they move their own yard boats first, and then move other boats...I am trying to get them to bring mine to the house with their hydraulic trailer in the late spring...here's to hoping...
Old 31-12-2015, 06:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
?...Great Lakes does do Florida runs, just the spring and fall they move their own yard boats first, and then move other boats...I am trying to get them to bring mine to the house with their hydraulic trailer in the late spring...here's to hoping...

Interesting, your choosing Great Lakes over HMT. May I ask why this choice between the two? From my limited view both appear top notch with state of art trailers.
Old 31-12-2015, 07:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Interesting, your choosing Great Lakes over HMT. May I ask why this choice between the two? From my limited view both appear top notch with state of art trailers.
Actually I got bids from both, and a few others, some others never even responded. Great Lakes was around $7500 if I recall, the others came in around $8k. Burt told me that they could get to it if nobody else could do it, but only after they were done with their own yard hauling(They also have their own yard and marina). That was too late for me, as I wanted it up here to start some work and emptying out before winter set in.

Hurricane Marine did the move, and were very good at it, I liked the fact they use air ride trailers, much softer ride.

Old 31-12-2015, 08:34   #15

That Columbia will be stunning when your finished. Beautiful sheer.

So I presume your pleased with the shipment then?

Tags
purchasing, shipping