Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 13:58   #106
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Published Costs of Cruising

Keep in mind that "household costs" on land do not include, restaurant, movies and other frills. So base cursing costs should not include "extras" as these are not a necessary part of operation of the boat and are highly variable.
Old 05-07-2012, 21:41   #107

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

WOlf,

But when you are cruising it can be like an extended holiday, visiting places you have never been. So it could be argued that it is a cost of cruising. I am easily satisfied and a cheese Sandwich and a cool beer on a deserted beach is my idea of heaven, but it has to be I am going to be poor out there:-)
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 21:55   #108

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I really don't understand why people worry about the cost of cruising. You live on your boat, you retire early, and you move your home to some really interesting places. No morgage, no car payments, no keeping up with the "joneses".
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 23:59   #109

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

+1 for John A - IMHO. The cost of cruising is simply the amount of money you have available. Like anchor and gun threads the cost of cruising questions go on and on and always seem to devolve into questions about - what the heck is included in that "cost."

Operating costs of a particular boat are pretty straight forward and keyed to the size, make and model of the boat. However, since the boat is not out there by itself with nobody on board, "living expenses" must be factored into the equation. And that is where you can have mega multiples of differences in costs depending upon the "life style" choices/preferences of the cruiser(s).
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 00:05   #110

Perhaps the question is to blame and not the debate over its answer... What is the cost of cruising at my standard of living?

Well what is YOUR standard of living?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:25   #111

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

We have published some budget figures to help prospective Pacific Mexico cruisers determine what it will cost them to cruise there. They are near the bottom of this page:

Cruising Mexico in a Sailboat: Tips & Tricks from Experienced Cruisers (2)
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:03   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
+1 for John A - IMHO. The cost of cruising is simply the amount of money you have available. Like anchor and gun threads the cost of cruising questions go on and on and always seem to devolve into questions about - what the heck is included in that "cost."

Operating costs of a particular boat are pretty straight forward and keyed to the size, make and model of the boat. However, since the boat is not out there by itself with nobody on board, "living expenses" must be factored into the equation. And that is where you can have mega multiples of differences in costs depending upon the "life style" choices/preferences of the cruiser(s).
For me the idea of looking into cruising expenses has always been.
1) If the boat is paid for and I have X amount of money how long can I get away with not working.
2) Seeing what people spend in different areas gives me a baseline when I'm in those same areas. For example if I go to a new country and a can of tuna is $3.00 at the first store and I have seen other peoples stories about finding a can of tuna in that country for $1.50 I may look around a bit before buying. (the general idea is very few people want to be that typical tourist that all the locals laugh at. We want to be that accepted tourist that knows where the locals shop and gets some of the same deals)

I wish you all
Calm seas and fair winds.

Scott
WhereAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20   #113

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

There are so many factors that can really swing the numbers, from how you eat to how you insure your boat. In Mexico we typically spend $900/month while we are there. But when you add in insurance, flights home, storage (we RV in summers), and luxuries you buy at home to bring back to the boat (cameras, iPad yes yes yes!!!), then the numbers get skewed again.

Essentially it costs us a little over $2k per month to cruise comfortably in Pacific Mexico, insure the boat, store it for hurricane season, get home, keep it in tip-top shape, and buy a few luxury items as well.

But silly things like how much you drink or whether you eat out a lot or whether you can tolerate the rolly anchorages in Pacific Mexico or need to spend time getting good sleep in marinas make a huge difference (like a thousand or more a month). That's why in my notes on my website I've listed the general costs of things rather than what we've spent...
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 18:02   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereAway

For me the idea of looking into cruising expenses has always been.
1) If the boat is paid for and I have X amount of money how long can I get away with not working.
2) Seeing what people spend in different areas gives me a baseline when I'm in those same areas. For example if I go to a new country and a can of tuna is $3.00 at the first store and I have seen other peoples stories about finding a can of tuna in that country for $1.50 I may look around a bit before buying. (the general idea is very few people want to be that typical tourist that all the locals laugh at. We want to be that accepted tourist that knows where the locals shop and gets some of the same deals)

I wish you all
Calm seas and fair winds.

Scott
I have been in Asia for almost 30 years. I have been to some pretty out of the way places. I still often pay farang prices.

In Hawaii many attractions are discounted to locals if you show a Hi drivers license.

I have bargained prices in the Philippine equivalent of JC Penney.

In Asia just about everything is negotiable to a point.

I could get uptight about it but fundamentally I figure have more share more. "Real" tourists are not that hard to sus out...

Its important not to get ripped off but there is a reason most shops in third worlds dont have marked prices...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:01   #115

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by settingsun View Post
We have published some budget figures to help prospective Pacific Mexico cruisers determine what it will cost them to cruise there. They are near the bottom of this page:

Cruising Mexico in a Sailboat: Tips & Tricks from Experienced Cruisers (2)
Thanks SV Groovy - I added your link to the list.

I understand that some find the list useful and some find it an exercise in futility. No worries.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 19:40   #116

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Livia,

Find your List great. We are leaving next year on a modest budget. So for us it is important to know: if we can; what we can; and how we can. So after reading your list I think we can and so we can.

God I am almost waxing eloquently. Thanks for the time and effort. It has helped me.

Buy you a beer next year!!

Steve
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:43   #117

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Well to define the question. I'm going to assume I packed, anough food, fuel, clothes, sunscreen, etc... for the trip...........BUT when I arrive the first thing I have to do, is to pay money to enter the country, then I have to pay to park the boat, (and buy courtesy flag). In some countries fuel is cheap, in other expensive.

In some countries basic fruit, canned food, is cheap, in others a can of tuna costs several dollars. In some countries alchohol is SO cheap if you could live on it you could get by with $50 a month.

Of course if you add variable expenses like eating in fancy restaurants, the cost of cruising can be anything you want.

BUT the basic expenses don't change. Unless you come in in a mega yacht, the cost if entry is some what fixed, also the cost of moorage, although some places charge by the foot, (I know how big my boat is, just give me the bottom line).
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:57   #118
CLOD

Boat: none

I wonder if we ask the question wrong when we ask for "cruising" budget. When what most of us (me at least) want to know is how much it costs to live, maintain our boat, and cruise. In other words a total cost we need to plan on having. Sure that also depends on marina stays, eating out, etc etc but if responders would just post how much they are spending and what is included in that number it would sure be helpful.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:14   #119
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the only problem wwith published costs of cruising is that EVERYONE OUT HERE CRUISES DIFFERENT... we all have different desires and likes and different ideas of fun.

many folks drink and smoke cigarettes. yuk. i do neither....buti keepmy rum on board and kahlua for cooking and occasional to rare drink.

a night out in summer here in la cruz could include 15 eso beers with accompnying FREE FOOD.

it could be a night of EXPENSIVE food in a fancy new to la cruz restaurant....300 or more pesos per each person.

provisioning is also a very individual thing--i provision in local tiendas--better food than mega mart or soriana--but i need to travel to those places to acquire some of my necessities--chocolate, kitty litter and fancy feast.......

everyone has differing needs so uniform cost charts MEAN NOTHING.

also--different areas inone nation can be differing costs for items. eg--mazatlan to fill propane was 98 pesos. here in la cruz has been 160 and 170 pesos per 5 gallon cannister.

one person's view of mexico can be a lot different than another's.
do you stay in marinas for hurrycame season or do you run "home" and leave boat to elements?

are you a full time cruiser and if so for how long are you such?

do you anchor out instead of marina?

each and every kind of cruiser will have specific needs and differences in their budgets.

is like saying---what kind of anchor do you anchor out with.....and what kind of chain and how deep water and how far from others do you park your stuff......and--do you likie marinas run like convalescent homes or au natural......rofl

i live within my limited income budget.
i do not leave my boat to weather or for weather.
i am able to spend season of named storms inside a marina if i want to--is low season and special rates appear like magic. even in marinas run like convalescent homes...so much organized play time for the inmates..LOL

i also provision for a week passage as if i will be gone a month or two. -- ye never know.........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 14:57   #120

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Whilst everyone will have their own individual costs it is very useful to see other published cost as an aid in one's own budgeting and planning.

Many thanks to those who have published their crusing costs.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising