Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 12:13   #31

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Published Costs of Cruising

Amazing! To live a dream we first must have spreadsheets? Decision by committee? Group think?
Me thinks that we're drawing on advanced college degrees to justify weather cruising will be cost effective and/or enjoyable.
Part of the adventure is dealing with the unknown. Just do it and see what happens.
Ehd of rant
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 12:59   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The main limitation I see to budget planning for cruising is how to allocate those periodic big expenses. For example, how does one plan or budget for a blown engine or transmission which can turn that cruising on $500/month to spending $5000/month for a couple of months.

New sails and rigging are a little more predictable but the usefull life of both can vary dramatically depending on where, how, and how much one cruises.

How do you handle this aspect of cruise cost planning?
Same as handling the engine on the car going out, the house hot water heater leaking, etc on land. With a savings account or credit card. You plan for things you can and have a fall back for those you don't. Otherwise things just get real lean for a while to recover.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 14:47   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i think we need a cruising police-- to police our use of funding and ability to cruise so we donot get into trouble.>roflmfao.....spread sheets and microscheduling are best left in one's office or home, if the folks so using are in need of same..LOL.....
spontaneity is and schedules kill---spreadsheets--eeeeps---do they include the ice cream cone???
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 15:07   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Published Costs of Cruising

I've never planned a budget... unless I'm trying to save for something (another boat) then the belt is tightened and the nose is to the grindstone...
But for buying a boat... I put all my money in my pocket and fly to wherever the boats are.... the same applies if I go sailing..
Get as far as I can then find a free/cheap spot and start improvising again... been getting by since '86 that way and have lived and worked all over the place...
Seen/met others on 'A Budget'.....
man I couldn't live like that... where's the fun.
You want to go out on the Ocean where everythings uncertain yet you go without things to strive for a 'Certainty'....
Hell if my boats gonna sink and I'm gonna drown I'd rather do it broke than with mega$'s sitting in a bank somewhere...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 15:21   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I've never planned a budget... unless I'm trying to save for something (another boat) then the belt is tightened and the nose is to the grindstone...
But for buying a boat... I put all my money in my pocket and fly to wherever the boats are.... the same applies if I go sailing..
Get as far as I can then find a free/cheap spot and start improvising again... been getting by since '86 that way and have lived and worked all over the place...
Seen/met others on 'A Budget'.....
man I couldn't live like that... where's the fun.
You want to go out on the Ocean where everythings uncertain yet you go without things to strive for a 'Certainty'....
Hell if my boats gonna sink and I'm gonna drown I'd rather do it broke than with mega$'s sitting in a bank somewhere...

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! and why i sed need cruising police-- to prevent such BLATANT SPONTANEITY...ROFLMFAO... not to mention, enjoyment of this lifestyle..LOL
Old 01-05-2011, 22:26   #36

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Great Post Livia

Brought together much of what is hard to find in this forum others and on the net.

When we GO in a little over 2 years our budget will be about $2000 a month. So our South Pacific route to Thailand and NZ will need some financial planning. So any further links you discover would be appreciated.

Cheers
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 21:26   #37

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Livia, if your going to do a spreadsheet,
Thanks avb3 for the comment. I definitely don't have the time right now to set up and run a spreadsheet although I think Google docs would be a great way to go if anyone wants to start one. It's a good idea and I would be happy to pimp it out.

I was (I guess I still am) looking for links to publicly published cruising budgets from cruisers websites or blogs (not forums).

So far, this is what I have:
SV Estrellita 5.10b: The Cost of Cruising

Thanks NorthPacific for the feedback and please do let me know if you come across any and I expect you to volunteer for Newly Salted once you get off the dock
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 21:32   #38

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Just do it and see what happens.
I did I'm already off the dock...

I still find this kind of argument illogical. "We should all do things our own unique way, therefore you should stop doing research, because that isn't the way that I think you should do it."

It's my way. It works for me. I'm out cruising.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 23:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I was going to upload a spreadsheet, but it didn't work out too good. Basically it showed $200,000.00 - $500,000.00 dollars US will generate enough income to cruise in comfort, (after the boat is paid for), at moderate interest rates, (3% - 5%).
Would love to see this broke down

If it looks good would love to get my final check and set sail!!!!!!!!
bigjer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 07:17   #40

The continued debate about the cost of cruising is impossible to define in the black and white of a spreadsheet. Sitting at home, or in your office, trying to get your head around what a cruising lifestyle will cost is diffucult when when you fail to consider how much you're willing to change your current lifestyle.
If you're unwilling to change the level of your lifestyle, then you're not cruising, you're on a vacation. IMO
Old 24-05-2011, 08:08   #41

Boat: Rainbow 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I still find this kind of argument illogical. "We should all do things our own unique way, therefore you should stop doing research, because that isn't the way that I think you should do it."
I get a chuckle out of the idea that it would be foolish to jump into a long crossing without a bit of planning and preparation, but jumping into a new lifestyle should be done blindly.
Old 24-05-2011, 08:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mantis View Post
I get a chuckle out of the idea that it would be foolish to jump into a long crossing without a bit of planning and preparation, but jumping into a new lifestyle should be done blindly.
I was not suggesting a transition to a new lifestyle be taken lightly, only that there has to be a certain element of risk when changing lifestyle.
Old 24-05-2011, 09:56   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
there has to be a certain element of risk when changing lifestyle.

Can I repeat the story of the cruiser found hanging from his mast? The marina towed his boat to the other side of the bay and dumped it and stole his dinghy and used it as a work boat.

So money and bugeting is vitally important!

I agree with those that say that most expenses are similar over most boats - given size difference etc. The main differences come in restaurants and on-shore purchasing, tours etc; flying home once per year (or more!), health problems incl health of those at home; Insurance medical and boat; and time spent in marinas.

So when looking at someone elses buget you quickly see whre they are similar to you or wildly different. You can see by their chandlery expenses if they are paying for replacements or upgrades and take it off, or put it on, for your boat.

Generally you can work out yarding expenses by where they hauled and boat size etc.

A look at their website and type of boat you will know if they used Micron 66 or a cheap antifouling (with some chilli ground into it!). You can work out that Micron 66 costs $300 per gal and how many you will use (I need 3 this year but that should last 2 years)

You can gauge a lot by peoples restaurant expenses: $2,000 per month eating out means they are into the high life and will be buying dresses at every expensive shop they can find. So you may be able to chop a lot of their stuff out.

In the end I think most cruisers in the median average (can someone who knows stats correct that: I mean the center band of average where many people will be, not the top and not the bottom 15% but the median 60%) will find their 'real' expenses very similar and the additional 'luxury' expenses very easy to identify.

Then a good budget can be made up far before you go cruising.

Lastly I would like to comment on a Contingency Fund. I always wanted to have $5,000 sitting in my account not allocated, and just there for contingencies. The dear Alan Wheeler of this forum told me: "It'll always read zero". Well, he's right. But I would love it and commend those who can budget better than me to have some level of contingency fund.

Whether a budget is done on a spreadsheet or informally, its gotta be done.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 10:03   #44

What is the purpose of this? The real question should be,do you have that burning desire to live that life style. If you can answer that honestly to yourself,you will make whatever finances you have sustain your dream. I doubt very much that you will get a true figure of what a budget would be, it is a personal and private thing.
spiritbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 10:28   #45

i figger my lifestyle can be uprooted anytime i want it to be--i have a monthly check-- small, but largeenough to sail places, and i will continue to make it work in some way or another, as is only way to liv at present..... live the dream, as later doesnt happen.

Tags
cruising