Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2012, 15:40   #61

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

Cap't Don: If the assessor truly valued your boat based on "replacement value", you should get your hearing date back and appeal it. He is in error. Ca law specifically refers to valuation using "comparables" from any source available to the assessor. For boats, that includes DMV, USCG data, BUC data among other info. A good assessor uses the comparables adjusted for differences in condition, equipment, etc. In fact, the assessment should come very close to the actual value of your boat unless you really got a steal in buying and equipping it. "Replacement value" is a made up number with no substance. How did the assessor determine it? At a hearing, the assessor can be required to disclose his basis for your valuation including any comparables and you have the chance to show valuation differences with those comparables. Might note that in the majority of states, statistics show that most challenges to valuations do actually result in decreases.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 16:01   #62

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Thanks to Zee's answer on another thread, I now understand that the annual tax I was paying to San Diego County was a property tax on my boat that was in Mexico for a year and a half. Seems fair to me?!! Those bastards won't be seeing me again soon. Like never... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 16:35   #63

Phil-I checked out the CA law and it seems they have you coming and going, so to speak. If you are cruising, that is, not basing the boat permanently in another jurisdiction, CA still hits you up for property tax. You need to notify them of a permanent change of location and it must be a "single" location, i.e. the new home of the boat. If you are a CA resident, but are off cruising the world, rather than basing the boat in say, Fiji, then CA will continue to hit you up for property tax every year you are on the circumnavigation! That conflicts with the sales/use tax laws which do not tax the boat if it is removed from CA jurisdiction with the intent to base it outside CA.
Old 22-05-2012, 17:16   #64

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

If we're lucky, CA will eventually fall off into the ocean.
One can dream can't he?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 17:19   #65
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Yes, Cali has some issues, and yes they will tax the air you breathe, but we sail all year round .

Enjoy your other locations.

Cheers, Bill
i know all about kali's alleged year round sailing. even the racers take off the 2 -3 months of nasty winter weather wherein the temps get to 38 degrees a few times in jan and feb, and the up to 90 kt winds clocked by the pnw storms as they rage thru l a and sd counties causing flooding and slides. yes i am well aware of the year round PERFECT weather they do NOT HAVE.
i lived aboard in san diego and lost angeles ---- since 1988. same in both places--PERFECT YEAR ROUND weather--NOT. so you dont live aboard full time, eh? want perfect weather--go to banderas bay--it is that--perfct. winter is over 50 degrees and breezy. when the wind stops, is a hurrycame off shore heading west. actual perfection in weather must be followed, isnt something that is in one place 100per cent of time.
remember--i sailed the so cal waters since 1988. LOL

please let me sell my ericson before it falls off...please....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 17:39   #66

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
No sales tax on used boats in NC. I bought mine in FL and left immediately. Several months later state of NC tried to assess sales tax, calling the broker a "dealer". I sent the necessary documents and they dropped it.

Taxes make it difficult to own a boat if you are not wealthy, but important to get the accurate numbers for comprehensive costs. Sorry to hear about the nasty surprise. CA sounds like a hard place to live.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 21:20   #67

Jaycall... Thanks for the clarification... first one I've gotten that made sense... don't live in CA any longer and had changed my residence to NV many yrs ago but they still came after me. Done with that state and do everything I can to make life difficult for the state from next door... cheers, Capt Phil PS I have a lot of company in NV that feel the same way
Old 22-05-2012, 22:17   #68

CP-We live in Seattle and the folks here have been trying for years to get some sort of gate up in I-5 to keep the immigrants from California out. The joke is "Will the last person leaving CA make sure the lights are out!"
Old 23-05-2012, 07:10   #69
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

is ok, jaycall--we keep your kind out by extreme taxation.

dont fail to notify the taxman of the area you are leaving so they dont keep hitting you for taxes--they WILL lien your boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 08:00   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I should start a company.... Registering boats that are out cruising here in Oregon.

No sales tax. Inexpensive registration, and a State Marine Board that is very helpful when you call them.

Of course there are such companies...

It could be called Homeport-Portland

Regards!
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 08:52   #71

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

California is an example of assault taxation at it's worst. Assault taxation should be illegal by federal law. What happened to "no taxation without representation"?

I don't live in California, I don't work in California, I don't get to vote in California, No one in California ask's me my opinion on their tax laws, yet if you set foot in their state even momentarily they follow you for years trying to tax you.

I will take what ever measrure I need to, to never step foot in that or any of the other 5 assault tax states.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 12:23   #72

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

I grew up here in California, have always paid my taxes, and have prospered along the way.. I own 3 homes , as rentals, A 42 foot boat assested at 100k and a business.. and I probably pay more in taxes, both personal property and income than most anyone here on this forum..
And from my point of view, Its worth every damn cent I've spent!!!
Living here I personally see where the money goes, and not always agree but I know I bennifit from the money given..
I'm a member of a number of Organizations like RBOC so I have a firsthand view of the happenings that many dont..
There is a project in the works right now that the taxes have supported, its a strange bubble making item that crosses the Gerogina Slough at the sacramento river.. designed to re-route the Salmon down the sacramento instead of being deverted to the south part of the delta where they eventually die..
befor the bubble machine the salmon were taged and only about 40% returned to the Upper sacramento to Span.. With the deverter, my understanding is that over 80% of the Salmon have returned to the upper sacramento..
Being that I live here, I get the oppertunity to look at the big picture to see where the funds go..
so the next time , if you do , take a good look at the state of california, the levee systems that keep the water in check, the water quality, The lakes and streams full of fish, the county waterfront parks, and the anchorages we all take for granted..
I'm one for "If you dont like it, dont let the door hit you on the tail on your way out"
as for myself, I grew up here and I love this place........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 08:57   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
Cap't Don: If the assessor truly valued your boat based on "replacement value", you should get your hearing date back and appeal it. He is in error. Ca law specifically refers to valuation using "comparables" from any source available to the assessor. For boats, that includes DMV, USCG data, BUC data among other info. A good assessor uses the comparables adjusted for differences in condition, equipment, etc. In fact, the assessment should come very close to the actual value of your boat unless you really got a steal in buying and equipping it. "Replacement value" is a made up number with no substance. How did the assessor determine it? At a hearing, the assessor can be required to disclose his basis for your valuation including any comparables and you have the chance to show valuation differences with those comparables. Might note that in the majority of states, statistics show that most challenges to valuations do actually result in decreases.
Jay,
Sorry for the confusion - I assumed the value would be the price I paid (which it was). When I received the assessment letter and the valuation was ~10% higher, I thought they'd used comparables.

In talking with the assessors's office, my misunderstanding was compounded by the fact that they'd need to inspect the boat for proper valuation. Much later, only in talking with the inspector, did he clarify that the assessed value is the price I paid plus the sales tax.

In hindsight, I should have looked into this before starting the appeals process. The county's policy is clear in an 82 page assessor's handbook pdf. If there were a reference to or a footnote to the handbook or policy, I would have looked into this further. Another point, at the time, I don't think we'd paid the sales tax yet, so I didn't put the two taxes together.

It still seems odd to me in calculating property tax that cars and boats include sales tax, while real-estate property doesn't!
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 09:58   #74

If anyone is under the impression that the people who live in the state of CA have control over their lives, one has only to read this thread from start to finish and take themselves back to the 70's or 80's in CA and imagine reading this at that time.
At the risk of sounding a little too political which the mods don't like, it seems that the inmates have taken over the asylum and whe can look forward to an exponential increase in tax, control, regulation and intrusion in to our lives. Not where I want to live! Capt Phil
Old 24-05-2012, 11:55   #75

Boat: Currently boatless

Man, it was so sad to read so many angry and fearful responses.

The complaints about taxes, use fees, etc. are problems of abundance. Not real problems.

I get to pay my taxes: local, state and federal.
I get to live here: Good & bad stuff, smart & ignorant people, etc.
I get to participate in all the costs & benefits of living in our county/state & country.

Don't like paying your taxes & Not sure the benefits of our/your/this county/state/country are worth it...

You have choices:
1) Continue with mindless & reactionary platitudes,
2) Move---Lots of other people willing to trade places & tax rates with you.
3) Participate and make changes. It shows you care and are willing to take action and not just mouth soundbites.
(sorry, that last choice was a little bitter)

Tags
boat