Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2017, 12:18   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Post-Cruising "Retirement" Land - Where, & Why?

It's a no brainer for me....
Mexico...friendly people, cheap living, and GREAT Tacos.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 12:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
It's a no brainer for me....
Mexico...friendly people, cheap living, and GREAT Tacos.
Where in Mexico, if you don't mind me asking.
Old 14-06-2017, 12:49   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Where in Mexico, if you don't mind me asking.
La Paz.
Big enough to have most things you want...yet small enough to not have most of what you are escaping from.
Old 14-06-2017, 13:19   #19

Boat: Cobbling one together

Thanks for all the great thoughts guys. I never figured this thread to garner so much attention so quickly. Thus, given the quantity, & quality of info it's a winner for me.

What do you look for in a piece of land specifically? As well as in a location, a community, & the people? Since all of these factor in quite heavily in the quality of the "place", & thus of your life when you live there.

For example, to me, good schools & a good library are indicators of a healthy community, & a feeling of same. Ditto what is available socially, formally & otherwise. But I don't want to be somewhere so big that it feels like a city, nor has the issues of same. Or is close enough to one so that there's a danger of urban sprawl overtaking the place. And having more neighbors with 4 legs than with 2, especially wild 4-legged ones, is something bordering on necessity for me. Either that, or to have such very, very close by.
Old 14-06-2017, 13:24   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Land....buy...no no no....that's when you get into trouble and your paradise retirement turns into a nightmare. You can rent a place for example one block from the Beach in La Paz for $400/mo. Live down there for a year or two, figure out the scene and then you will be in a much better position if you want to buy later. But rent is SO Cheap why buy at all? The American mindset is to buy I know, but Mexico is so cheap to rent it's "almost free Senior" as they say. You rent in La Paz, you rent in Loreto, you rent in Barra, etc. Find out where you like and sha-zam....
Old 14-06-2017, 13:45   #21

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic

"What do you look for in a piece of land specifically? As well as in a location, a community, & the people? Since all of these factor in quite heavily in the quality of the "place", & thus of your life when you live there."

Mischief - until you said 'the people' it seemed geography was a prime mover. But add that in and I'll share 2 cents. After 15 years riding in planes to 49 states and most of Canada, when I got a chance to break out I went to North Carolina. The entire small town south is priceless for the people. Regardless of their demographic. You will find nice folks most anywhere you go. But the south is where you find truly gracious individuals. NC has it all if you want to be near the mountains, have the seasons and no other coastline in the US is anything like the cruising grounds of the Tar Heel state. But that's just my opinion. . .
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 14:31   #22

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Thanks to all of you. This is a topic I study on very often. I am always looking for a better deal. But the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. I could not live in the Eastern states. Or another country. To hot, to cold, to buggy and too many people. So for now and probably forever I live on my boat summers in WA and BC and when the rains start I fire up the Dodge 350 with Arctic Fox camper tow my Jeep Wrangler and head South. Southern Cal, Arizona, New Mexico being first choice. Just me my best friend, my fly rod and 20 gage SXS. My best friend never complains and he is always ready for any adventure. We hunt and fish together and even enjoy just sitting by a campfire with a cold one on the Olympic Peninsula. Such beautiful country. When I get to the age that I cannot drive or sail or enjoy the outdoors anymore. I will find a little single wide in a park near a VA hospital. Scratch my best friends ears while we reminisce of all the good times past and wait for our heavenly reward.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 14:52   #23

Boat: Albin 25

Yech.
Each to one's own, natch.
I have arranged for Panama residency for when I need to settle back on land, but am more seriously exploring the better climate, friendlier population and more economical living conditions of Colombia for that time. At 68, that time may not be so far off. I will not have the resources to buy land, but that does not mean a comfortable lifestyle is out of reach so long as you explore locations outside of North America.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 15:55   #24

Boat: J/42

Buy land to retire? Does not compute for me. That's what I need to retire from. If you can no longer keep up the boat, how can you take care of buildings, septic systems, power systems, roads, fences, rolling stock, live stock, and acts of nature? Unless maybe you have family land and the younger generations take care of most of that stuff.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 16:39   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Something else to consider is the local expat community. A phenomena Ive noticed, at least in areas where Ive spent a lot of time: Coastal Lowlands, like those areas frequented by sailors, tend to feature drinking as the primary social activity...and not much else. Highland communities tend to engage in a more diverse range of activities.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 16:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Buy land to retire? Does not compute for me. That's what I need to retire from. If you can no longer keep up the boat, how can you take care of buildings, septic systems, power systems, roads, fences, rolling stock, live stock, and acts of nature? Unless maybe you have family land and the younger generations take care of most of that stuff.
True, boats and real estate both can be a lot of work, but not all real estate is high maintenance.

And, in many areas of Central America still...rents are low by USA standards. We've rented a couple of nice homes in Panama for example for less than US$700/month. Less expensive properities than that are still common to...we rented one small apt for $300/mo all included (furnished, power, water, internet...). At those levels build vs buy is certainly a point of debate. Also means that owning a rental property is often not really viable financially either.

Two reasons we chose to build here. 1, economy is booming and real estate values are going up. Plan to buy more dirt too. 2, stability, weve rented several homes/apartments from other expats and often they want to move back in after a few months or as a result of some other life event....meaning we have to move again.
Old 14-06-2017, 18:04   #27

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

1. Huon River estuary, Tasmania, Australia. 5 acres. Ticks all the boxes! Forested elevated water-front with moorings right in front, city about 40 minutes away by car (a day or so by sail), fabulous country, wildlife, people... I was hoping it would be worth more by now - ho hum.
2. American River, Kangaroo Island, South Australia. 20 acres. Wooded, low-lying (to c50 feet elev), adjacent protected mooring area with town opposite, surrounded by conservation park. 3hrs by ferry/bus or a day-sail to nearest city. Fab wildlife and folks.
Original plan was to get one near waterfront in the Daintree rainforest as well, and be able to sail with the seasons between home town (Adelaide/KI), Tassie and the reef. Missed a good chance for the last one a few years back, and now the whole plan seems somewhat unlikely (not rich yet - darn it). Accountant misses says they have cost us more in rates and charges than they will ever yield upon sale.....
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 05:45   #28

In response to a PM about Panama vs Belize I wrote the following. Thought it might be useful here.

Panama*vs*Belize.*

Indeed the*weather*is cooler and there are fewer biting insects at altitude in*Panama.*Belize*has no high altitude areas (some low mountains/hills but nothing really high and settled).

Culturally they are different too...Mostly Kriol (European/African mix) in Belize and what I call "Ladino" (Spanish/Indigenous mix) in Panama. Many Belizeans resent foreigners in their county. Panama, surprisingly not so common...except some around Dia de Los Mártires (commemorating students killed during unrest in theCanal*Zone).

Residency. Both have residency programs, but Panama has many more options and is very open to immigration. Belize has a*retirement visa or a work visa, but not always a favorable attitude toward expats (this includes some of the officials who process your residency).

Stability. Both countries have pretty stable*government*history. Panama has had some more unstable periods. Belize being a British Colony and then a*member*of the Commonwealth has experienced less meddling than other Central American countries and thus more stability.*

Currency. Panama's economy is dollarized (uses the US$ directly). One handy thing about that is you can spend USA coins! Belize maintains its own currency (which is worthless outside of Belize) but the US$ is eagerly accepted because its hard currency.*

Security. Most areas in both countries are reasonably safe....Belize has some over hyped press to the contrary. Every country has rough spots of course. Petty theft etc is an annoyance in both countries but violent crime against foreigners is relativley uncommon (it happens, but not often). Both have had a small number of attacks on cruisers.

Sailing. Better year round sailing conditions in Belize because of the NE Trades. Panama only gets seasonal*Trades*(~Dec-May winds along the eastern Atlantic coast (mostly in the San Blas). Otherwise winds are mostly light and variable everywhere (except seasonal winds around the Chame penninsula on the Pacific coast). Both have sections of beautiful coast line and good cruising options.*

Inland Adventures. Both have a lot of options. Belize has an amazing amount of stuff to see and do for such a small country. Panama has some beautiful mountain areas.*

City Life. Panama City is a proper international city with everything you would expect (good and bad, but mostly good). Belize City, well...its less of a **** hole than it used to be.*

Diving. There is good*diving*in Panama, but its really hard to beat Belize in this category.*

Infrastructure. Panama has by far better infrastructre and is expanding it dramatically. Belize...not so much.

Medical*Care. Excellent first world healthcare at reasonable cost in Panama. Belize, if you have a serious problem, do what affluent Belizeans do...go somewhere else...like Guatemala.*

Economy. Belize is a small, very small, country with rather limited economic sectors. Panama by contrast has a booming and diverse economy.*

What else?

Tags
cruising, men, retirement