Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 10:08   #1

Boat: Tayana 48' CC
Pantaenius America Ltd.

Morning all,

Does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge about using Pantaenius America Ltd. for boat insurance. Is it a good company ? Any problems if you have a claim ? Or anything else I should know ?

Dave & Mary
SV Argonauta
Tayana 48
Dave-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:19   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Pantaenius America Ltd.

Cruising friends of ours had a lightening claim with them that went reasonably smoothly.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:43   #3

Pantaenius started writing in the US relatively recently. In Europe my cruising friends consider them one of the best, if not the best.

I just switched from Markel to Pantaenius US. Markel has always been fine (although no claims) but the Pantaenius policy seemed a little bit better for a little less money - at least for my coverage needs. It was a close call.

I was impressed by the Pantaenius "packet" that I received. It included a confirmation of my liability coverage translated into 9 languages with specific language for each country (for example in Spain I'm covered under the "Real/Decreto 607/1999" whatever that means). I've never received this from any other insurance company.

Obviously, no claims yet.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:02   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I have just renewed our insurance with Pantaenius UK, based on their reputation for dealing with claims.

Price wise, I think they are slightly more expensive but not enough to really worry about or switch. They were quite particular when I first insured with them which I think is a good thing as it weeds out those who would be a risk. They wanted a sailing resume(CV) and a recent yacht survey which we had anyway following the purchase.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:02   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

We are insured with Pantaenius Germany. We had a claim for a lightning strike 4 years ago. They were very good.
Recommended.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:45   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I have just renewed our insurance with Pantaenius UK, based on their reputation for dealing with claims.

Price wise, I think they are slightly more expensive but not enough to really worry about or switch. They were quite particular when I first insured with them which I think is a good thing as it weeds out those who would be a risk. They wanted a sailing resume(CV) and a recent yacht survey which we had anyway following the purchase.

Pete
They were nearly twice the price for my trips in the med.

Dave
Old 05-10-2013, 13:21   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I could save £40 by shopping around but I would rather have their claim handling service in case the worst ever happened. It's too valuable an asset to risk. The car on the other hand, well I could take the plates off and walk away from that.

Does surprise me that insurance for me in the US would be double and the med also expensive especially given the rocks and tides we have around our coasts.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 20:34   #8

Based on my experience, their claims service alone is worth going with Pantaenius. With any insurance, you hope you never need to file a claim, but when you do, these folks are quick and competent.
sailingpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:39   #9

I like Pantaenius! Within 4 mo the of purchasing Ramaela, we had an unforecast microburst which hit our dock with 90 knot winds. Ramaela was torn from the dock, with all five lines still attached to boat and the dock cleats. We had dock planks holding on. She glanced our neighbors bow and ending up in the lagoon subject to a salvage claim. Pantaneius insured Ramaela, they immediately sent a marine adjuster and took care of all claims. Our responsibility was the agreed deductible. I am a very happy customer.