Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 19:30   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
When I was doing a few deliveries , I never charged more if the owner or owners crew came along , but only on the specific understanding I was the skipper. If they wanted instruction ,that was a specific chargeable extra. I do agree however that some owners are a huge PITA, especially the show off newbies that try and compete with the delivery skipper.

As to $100 a day. It's was never a properly paying job , but that's just taking the piss.

Dave
Old 04-11-2013, 16:56   #17

Re: Owner Assisted Delivery Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
If a delivery skipper charged $300 a day for normal deliveries and $400 a day for owner assisted delivery, I would see that as money well spent, but $1,000 a day?

We're talking a very capable, hard working, motivated, quick learning couple that would want to do 99% hands on. We're both Army vets and are no strangers to long hard days. In fact, that's usually when we are at our best. Having an experienced captain point you in the right direction while sailing and learning your own boat is worth a price. To me, $1,000 a day isn't that price.
MB - Obviously your sense of worth is what to go by, however this is an alternative way to consider the issue.

What you are actually asking for is sailing lessons aboard your own vessel. Even if you don't receive an accreditation for the lessons, the delivery skipper will need to provide some instruction to you.

If that is what your really after, do a search for Trainers and compare their prices. You could even ask them if they woudl consider offering you a discount since it is your boat...

If, on the other hand, you and your wife didn't need instruction, then you are really after crew... and the previous link to findacrew would be cheaper...

Andy
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 18:06   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
I used to do a lot of these. So many that we came up with a name..."Instructional Deliveries". The objective was that by the time we got the boat to her new home the owner(s) could handle the boat on their own with minimal guidance from the captain/instructor.

We priced training during the delivery at the same as group class rates, but of course owner was getting private training aboard their own boat. A great way to learn.

Non training days were priced at going rate for a delivery skipper...about $250 per day at the time. Plus expenses.

These were general guide lines for pricing, but pricing was ultimately adjusted to fit the situation.

Got lots of bookings after boat shows when people realized they didn't really know what to do with that fancy new boat they just bought. ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 18:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I used to do a lot of these. So many that we came up with a name..."Instructional Deliveries". The objective was that by the time we got the boat to her new home the owner(s) could handle the boat on their own with minimal guidance from the captain/instructor. We priced training during the delivery at the same as group class rates, but of course owner was getting private training aboard their own boat. A great way to learn. Non training days were priced at going rate for a delivery skipper...about $250 per day at the time. Plus expenses. These were general guide lines for pricing, but pricing was ultimately adjusted to fit the situation. Got lots of bookings after boat shows when people realized they didn't really know what to do with that fancy new boat they just bought. ;-)
Did you certify (ASA for example) during this type of delivery?
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 18:40   #20

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I've had more bad or at best, uncomfortable situations with the owner aboard unless they were complete newbies. The newbies came along to learn how to handle a boat and familiarize themselves with their new boat. I charged an extra $200/day on top of my usual charge which was $350-$400/day depending on length and location.
One owner in particular, I more than doubled the daily rate if he was aboard. In fact, on one delivery, I turned it down if he was aboard. Delivery skippers tend to get to know their clients and will charge accordingly. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 18:43   #21

Quote:

Did you certify (ASA for example) during this type of delivery?
Yes, ASA.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:10   #22

Quote:
We are currently in the early buying phase for our cruising yacht and have absolutely no idea what an owner assisted delivery might cost. Where can someone find going rates for such a thing? It would really help us lock down a suggested range for boat browsing. We live in St Thomas and are looking at boats as far north as North Carolina, which (I'm estimating) would be a roughly 14 day trip (NC>Brunswick>Miami>T&C>STT with 24 hours in each of the three stops). There are of course a ton of boats between PR and BVI but going up the ICW a little opens the options and price up a little bit. Any help in pointing to the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Well, there is another way to go, depending on your timeline and needs. You could buy a boat off someone that is heading south and plans to sell down there. For example, I am heading down to the carribean in November 2014 and would be interested in selling our Tartan 41 in the spring of 2015.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:16   #23

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I never charged more for the owner aboard because I enjoy teaching. However I would not go if the owner was a smoker.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Well, there is another way to go, depending on your timeline and needs. You could buy a boat off someone that is heading south and plans to sell down there.
That is an interesting option. Sounds viable but I could also see where that would run into frustration and problems for either owner or perspective buyer, or both. In essence or would be just a really long sea trial.

Honestly, as a buyer, I would take note of every little thing on the way down and adjust my offer accordingly upon arrival. That may lead way to anger on the owners behalf.

The inverse being buying it before hand and taking the ex-owner down with you. What happens if something major comes up with the boat and the ex-owner says "not my problem anymore." That's a level of anger and animosity I wouldn't want in blue water.

I'm also a very cynical person, so maybe I'm way off base
Old 06-11-2013, 05:56   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
I never charged more for the owner aboard because I enjoy teaching. However I would not go if the owner was a smoker.
That I can understand.

In our case, I think our major hurdle for a skipper would be our toddler. That may be a risk most aren't willing to shoulder.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:05   #26

Quote:

That I can understand.

In our case, I think our major hurdle for a skipper would be our toddler. That may be a risk most aren't willing to shoulder.
In my experience, kids do fine aboard boats, often better than ashore. However, one toddler versus two parents is just barely fair odds. I've skippered a number of family charters with very young kids and the parents sometimes need a vacation afterwards. Does not bother me because I don't baby sit...kids aboard are 100% the parents responsibility.

I have had smart charter guests bring along other older kids on the condition they baby sit so the parents can enjoy their charter/classes without constant interruption.This has worked well.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:29   #27

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
You can get a very competent Co-captain for between $100 and $150 per day in the Caribbean plus a return plane ticket. It's not like it's a hard job. The best source for captains will be at the marinas or the local sailor bar. They may not be there but there will be plenty of suggestions.
I guess the quote "You get what you pay for" is the easiest way to describe the above advice. A qualified Delivery skipper charging a $100-150 per day has either had his license revoked or is very hard up for money. The price quoted is normally what is charged for an additional competent crew member to assist the Delivery Skipper.

On the other hand the individual who quoted a $1000 a day is dreaming.

The good advice previously given, is don't ask a question about money on CF since there are some many regions represented that you would get different answers based on the cost of living alone, not to mention that everyone has there own self-worth.

In general, if you are asking for a Delivery Skipper to instruct as well as move the boat you would be required to pay more. How much is dependent on what you negotiate, based on the Delivery Skippers experience, Education and Teaching Experience....

I have both taught sailing/power boating and have worked commercially. I am of the opinion that:

Not all Delivery Skippers make good Sailing Instructors and not all sailing instructors make good Delivery Skippers.

I recommend you ask around your area and see if there are any Delivery Skippers near you. This way you can meet with them and evaluate them in person. You might also be able to arrange a day sail instruction, which would give you an idea if you can both live with the guy or gal for 14 days and if their instructing skills are right for you and your wife.

Also remember that if you hire a Delivery Skipper, run his or her CV (resume) past your insurance company for approval. With the Insurance Company's Approval, the Delivery Skipper will be insured to Captain the boat.

The other option is a yacht transport company to move the boat from wherever you purchase it to where you live. Although higher in price than using a Delivery Skipper, figure the wear and tear, plus the fuel prices, you might actually break even.

Good luck with your new boat!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:37   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

MBLittle,

Here's a thought: hire a nanny for the toddler for the trip. Could be super experience all the way around, and would leave you and your good lady free to learn and stand watches.

In addition, if it's just you and your wife, you might want to come to grips with the notion that you'll have to have somewhere secure you can shut the kid in and not worry about their well being, so both you and your good lady can tend to the boat in bad weather. We knew some folks with a Down's Syndrome child who had to do that. It eventually worked out okay, and was better for the child.

Ann
Old 06-11-2013, 10:31   #29

Quote:
That is an interesting option. Sounds viable but I could also see where that would run into frustration and problems for either owner or perspective buyer, or both. In essence or would be just a really long sea trial.
Oops, I wasn't very clear there

To take myself as an example, currently I am in New England, I am planning a year in the caribbean, and then will be selling the boat. I would be interested in selling in the BVI/USVI if someone was interested to save the trouble of getting it back to the east coast.

I would think there are a sprinkling of boats that are FROM the US but being SOLD in the Caribbean because that's where they end up.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:37   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Oops, I wasn't very clear there To take myself as an example, currently I am in New England, I am planning a year in the caribbean, and then will be selling the boat. I would be interested in selling in the BVI/USVI if someone was interested to save the trouble of getting it back to the east coast. I would think there are a sprinkling of boats that are FROM the US but being SOLD in the Caribbean because that's where they end up.
Ah. That's clear now. Perhaps I was confused