Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 14:06   #31

Re: Owner Assisted Delivery Cost?

If you are going to eventually handle the boat yourself another option would be to pay for 2-3 days of lessons to get familiar with the boat and work out the bugs (a good idea before heading out on a long voyage with a new boat anyway) and then do coastal hopping or ICW on your own.

Its not clear if your schedule is what you think it will take or you only have 14 days to get there. Doing an offshore passage then 24hrs later doing another repeatedly sounds like a great way to get worn out and force you to leave in bad weather before the trip is done.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 14:22   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post

Honestly, as a buyer, I would take note of every little thing on the way down and adjust my offer accordingly upon arrival. That may lead way to anger on the owners behalf.

So you would also be prepared to pay more as well?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 14:24   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you are going to eventually handle the boat yourself another option would be to pay for 2-3 days of lessons to get familiar with the boat and work out the bugs (a good idea before heading out on a long voyage with a new boat anyway) and then do coastal hopping or ICW on your own. Its not clear if your schedule is what you think it will take or you only have 14 days to get there. Doing an offshore passage then 24hrs later doing another repeatedly sounds like a great way to get worn out and force you to leave in bad weather before the trip is done.
All very good points and advice. Thank you!

My wife and I were talking and we're thinking basically the same thing. Hire a skip/instructor locally for a week or so working the way down the ICW and flying them back and we hang out in south Florida for a good crossing.

This also gives us time to stop and enjoy T&C after making our own voyage. Again waiting for a good window to head home here in St Thomas.

Our time wasn't the issue, we have plenty of it, paying for someone else's eats into the kitty but a week or less would be an invaluable investment on our part.

Our original plan is individual ASA certifications here in the Virgins. That's still the plan if we buy locally. The idea of buying up the ICW was to open the variety of boats up to us and it sounds like we have a viable alternative, if indeed we go that route. And hiring a skip/instructor for the same price range means it doesn't eat into the part of the kitty not planned for.

A big thanks to everyone that's chipped in so far!
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 14:26   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
So you would also be prepared to pay more as well?
If it was discovered the bilge was full of gold, probably
Old 06-11-2013, 14:40   #35
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
A qualified Delivery skipper charging a $100-150 per day has either had his license revoked or is very hard up for money.
Are you sure these are the only two possibilities? See, I think there are a couple more, with the most likely being $150 is the going rate.

You all can keep throwing out big numbers but I'm absolutely positive you can get a qualified skipper who will be more than happy to let a new owner do 99% of the work for $150 per day, plus a return ticket, plus meals, plus one or two really nice dinners on the way. If you are happy at the end, give the skipper a tip. The OP said he planned on taking around 14 days. That's an easy two grand with no expenses during the period. You can't find "real world" jobs like that very easily.
Old 06-11-2013, 15:24   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Most qualified professional captains charge 350-550 US$ per day. I think that that 60-80 per hour is quite reasonable for a licensed professional with years of experience. Auto mechanics charge more and have far less responsibility. I'm always surprised when people don't want to pay professional captains what they pay yard labor.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 15:56   #37

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
I enjoy having the owner on board he or she then has a better idea why it took so long to get somewhere. Also usually charge by the month when owner is in board because they like to stop and smell the roses

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 15:59   #38
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Dealerships charge more, not the mechanics. They get maybe $20 per hour for 8 hours per day. Then they pay taxes on that money.

What exactly do you do all day when your on a long delivery that is so hard? What is it that requires so much more experience than an auto mechanic? I'd say as far as professions it's one of the easiest you can find.
Old 06-11-2013, 16:36   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post

Are you sure these are the only two possibilities? See, I think there are a couple more, with the most likely being $150 is the going rate.

At least one more, some of us do this mostly for fun and have the luxury of not having to make a living at it. I've worked as a captian for those rates before, just because I wanted to do the trip. In some venues those are the going rates for charter captains under the assumption that you will make it up on tips (which can be much more than you make as captain).

That said, being captain and instructor at the same time is a lot of work and I would consider $150 low for that combined role. If I am going to "work" I expect to at least be compensated at fair market value.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:48   #40

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Dealerships charge more, not the mechanics. They get maybe $20 per hour for 8 hours per day. Then they pay taxes on that money.

What exactly do you do all day when your on a long delivery that is so hard? What is it that requires so much more experience than an auto mechanic? I'd say as far as professions it's one of the easiest you can find.
Regardless of skill set or work being done, it really comes down to what rates have been established in a given market for that skill set.

Example, before the high-end technology consulting industry crashed in 2001, senior consultant rates were over $300 per hour...most of us were not worth that, but who wants to argue when that is the going market rate. After the 2001 implosion those same consultants could not buy a job. Their skill set now had almost no market value. Its all about current market rate regardless of skill set.

In my experience (not researched in detail, but I have been in the industry a long time) the market rate for "small boat" (100 ton license or less) captains/instructors ranges from about $125 - $250 per day depending on venue.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:55   #41
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I agree with Palarran. Sometimes folks tend to over estimate their skills, worth, and what they really bring to the table. I think the 6K to 14K quotes for two weeks are a more than a bit out of line. Heck I'd take it if it were offered. But in reality there would be a lot bored and out of work delivery captains if they waited around for those prices. $150 is a bit low as well for the combined requirements of delivery and instruction. $3,500 would be reasonable and more in the realm of reality if one wants to do this for a living.
Though the one Gem the OP dropped "I'm also a very cynical person" is something a experienced captain would never have let slide by his notice.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 17:10   #42

I just paid a captain $135 per day to deliver a boat to Florida from the northeast . Paid transportation to and from the boat, fuel, and a few overnights at marinas along the way. Did a great job and would use him again.
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 17:14   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
In my experience (not researched in detail, but I have been in the industry a long time) the market rate for "small boat" (100 ton license or less) captains/instructors ranges from about $125 - $250 per day depending on venue.
Good info, thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 17:15   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I agree with Palarran. Sometimes folks tend to over estimate their skills, worth, and what they really bring to the table. I think the 6K to 14K quotes for two weeks are a more than a bit out of line. Heck I'd take it if it were offered. But in reality there would be a lot bored and out of work delivery captains if they waited around for those prices. $150 is a bit low as well for the combined requirements of delivery and instruction. $3,500 would be reasonable and more in the realm of reality if one wants to do this for a living. Though the one Gem the OP dropped "I'm also a very cynical person" is something a experienced captain would never have let slide by his notice.
I agree with everything

Although I'm curious how cynicism fits in...?
Old 06-11-2013, 17:16   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
I just paid a captain $135 per day to deliver a boat to Florida from the northeast . Paid transportation to and from the boat, fuel, and a few overnights at marinas along the way. Did a great job and would use him again.
Good to know! Thank you.

We're you aboard?