Old 29-06-2014, 17:51   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Only Six Months -- Feeling Cramped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny View Post
Hey,
I think I introduce myself. I'm Stef the "needy" woman on his side.
I read this thread here and some of this posts makes me a lil upset.
Ann, not every woman is like you who try to influence the man! I never told him I'm not happy, it was our conclusion that we need a bigger boat for a little bit more of everything. You can't talk about somebody like that or to somebody like that.

About the wrong trimmed sails, at the beginning (the first 2 weeks) we trimmed sometimes, but after that we had the sails out the hole time + the spinnaker for the last almost 2 weeks. What can somebody do wrong? And Brandon is a pretty good sailor already, I was most the time the one who wanna trim some sail.

We met on some places a few sailors, with bigger boats, a little older and with much more experience (I don't talk about Florida-Bahamas or UK- Azores for about 10 years) and they said they wouldn't do so much different, they know about the boat what's important to be fast.

And now please go back to the topic! I wonder that no admin stopped this here...
Hey Finny - And welcome aboard! Don't take any comments personally. People project their own experience and paradigm to every topic here. And I am sure you agree everyone on the internet is in total agreement all the time - LOL...

BTW - I don't care about sail trim or boat speed - PLEASE POST YOUR CINNAMON ROLL RECIPE - LOL!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 18:02   #47

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

BB and Finny, I think you are WAY over reacting to Ann's post- she didn't say anyone was 'needy' or that anyone needed qualifications to get speed from a boat.
You both did something that most of the people on here have never done (and will never) and she gave you props for that, but was also giving sound advise....'Happy wife, happy life', etc....
BB, you said the boat was becalmed for a week on your 33 days...doesn't matter how big or fast it is...still just sits there in that case....

SO, back on topic as Finny asked, the difference between our 26 and our 30 is HUGE...faster (a bit), but way more living area and far more comfortable. So as someone posted already, a few feet and the right layout add big differences when it comes to that.
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 18:38   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
<snip>

Or did the woman say, "if we're going to have crew, we'll have to have a bigger boat". If she is not a keeper, then don't pay attention, all that much, for soon you'll have only yourself and the dog to house and sail with.
I have no axe to grind with Ann and love her posts but bbowers as far as I read hasn't asked for any relationship advice only boat advice.

To assume this is a "wife" issue is a little "old school" - Happy wife happy life is something I equate with the '50s.

Happy partnership = happy life.

And it is a little "glib" to say - Don't worry soon she will be gone...

I don't think Ann meant to offend but I will let her speak for herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicknSue View Post
BB and Finny, I think you are WAY over reacting to Ann's post- she didn't say anyone was 'needy' or that anyone needed qualifications to get speed from a boat.
it is not unreasonable to imagine BB and Finny in the salon going, "WTF - We asked about bigger boats (we feel cramped) and all of a sudden it's a Finny issue?"

In regards to boat speed - They described setting sail for the downwind leg and letting things be. Sure one can actively trim for speed, work the shifts etc. but I wonder how many do.

I'd rather spend that time - EATING CINNAMON ROLLS!

And some seem to have assumed that the 2 extra people were on the long passage - not the case the way I read it. Parents/in-laws visited for Christmas.
Old 29-06-2014, 18:50   #49

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26"

Thanks Ex-Calif
Ya we took his parents for 10 days, we're we sailed 3 of ot. It was a late Christmas visit, in April, so more an eastern visit.

Btw you can buy the recipe soon on our blog page
Finny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 18:52   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Ex-Calif
Ya we took his parents for 10 days, we're we sailed 3 of ot. It was a late Christmas visit, in April, so more an eastern visit.

Wait, what? If I am gonna pay you gotta cook them and mail them to me - LOL...

I guess I will have to wait until you guys get to Asia (you know you want to) and barter for something of value that I have. Like my awesome advice - LOL
Old 29-06-2014, 18:58   #51

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
Thanks Ex-Calif

I'll buy the recipe, but you should give Ex-Calif the recipe for free Send me the link Love these posts of "newbies" making it! I've done a bit of sailing but I'm one of the "need more" types before I jump! Mch respect to both of you
Old 30-06-2014, 05:42   #52

Boat: Sadler 25

BB and Finny

I wasn't having a dig at either of you. I just thought you would be interested to know that other small boats are out there doing it as well.

As far as timings go, we took 19 days to get to Horta from Falmouth, we had a run of 120 miles one day and thought whoopee. Never got close to that afterwards. Hove to for one day in a Force 9, becalmed for one day. On the way from St Miguel to Gibraltar, it took us 12 days.

We tend to be the slowest boat, but we get there eventually. FYI we have a deep fin Sadler.

Yeah, a bigger boat would be nice, but I just think of all that extra housework.

Tricia
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 06:27   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Only Six Months -- Feeling Cramped

Good onya for the crossing folks..
Need to change your Avatar.. thought you were still in Porto..
Take a look at the Bene 331's when you hit the BVI's they're great little boats and that aft cabin is really comfortable.. if you don't mind being crawled over once in a while..
Did St Martin to Horta.. 2400+ miles in 21days solo just under Genoa and full reefed main.. that included 5 days of calms/light winds.. only down side with them though is the storage space.. don't have that under berth space you find on Westerlies..
But.. as has been said.. your in the land of broken dreams.. lotsa boats going cheap where the Atlantic crossing has proved more than half a partnership is prepared to tolerate and has flown home with the parting shot.. "Sell the boat or we divorce.."
That's how I picked up a Bene 321 for $25K a few years back..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 06:47   #54

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

33 days, 4 people and 17 gal of water - respect.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "too big" comment. We're 4 on a 47-footer - I don't think it's possible to get too big.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 08:37   #55

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26"

I just wrote that the 2 other people just stayed for 10 days and just 3 days of sailing.
Finny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 11:55   #56

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
33 days, 4 people and 17 gal of water - respect.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "too big" comment. We're 4 on a 47-footer - I don't think it's possible to get too big.
You're too big when you're unable to navigate your boat to the places you'd like to be due to depth, width, or mast height.

You're too big when you can't cross the deck or salon to reach the things you need to reach to be safe and comfortable.

You're too big when you're unable to manually maneuver the boat on your own, and not skilled enough to depend entirely on controls.

You're too big when you can't comfortably raise the sails, hoist an anchor, or handle the helm.

You're too big when the cost of the boat overwhelms your ability to purchase and operate it - this is different than merely having to "reach", or settling for an older model than you would really prefer.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 15:01   #57

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

bbowers & Finny,

First, let me apologize if what I wrote offended you. I never thought Finny was "needy." It was more a great deal of respect for a woman who put up with what were difficult conditions for a long trip, and who, if she weren't considered a "keeper", it was an extreme mistake on the part of the significant other. Further, I do think if she weren't considered a "keeper", a woman with self esteem would leave such a situation because she would want to feel respected for the kind of partner she is.

I have a lot of sea years, and we've seen a lot of salt water soluble romances in that period of time. Sometimes, inexperienced skippers do not support their crews well. Neither bbowers nor Finny (until a few posts past) had previously stated anything at all about their relationship.

Finally, when I say a "keeper" that is what I mean; nowhere did I mention marriage, specifically because I have space for people to stay together or separate for their own good reasons, which is none of my business.

Now, to boat size, that, too is a manifestation of personal preferences. I have nothing invested emotionally or any other way in what size of boat you guys choose. Entirely has to be what you want based on your experience. I would not set a size on what
would be satisfactory for someone else. My experience ranges from the one ocean crossing on the 30 footer; then the years on the 36, and now the 46.

In the years with the 36 footer, we met circumnavigating vessels of 20 feet on up to a very few as large as ours, so I am okay with small vessels for serious sailing, and in a way that many of the posters on CF have little own knowledge of.

Again, I am sorry if I offended: it was not my intention. If you prefer I butt out right now, I shall.

Ann
Old 30-06-2014, 20:24   #58

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
I just wrote that the 2 other people just stayed for 10 days and just 3 days of sailing.
Well two people using half a gallon per day is still pretty impressive.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 00:22   #59

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
There are a million different choices on what's the best boat. The bottom line is that it has to be one that both of you are happy with. Texting can be misinterpreted. I think Ann gave excellent advice. Edit- on further consideration: the dog should have a vote too.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 00:39   #60

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Edit- on further consideration: the dog should have a vote too.
Indeed! Look for a center cockpit boat with some grass and a fire hydrant on the afterdeck... that's the ticket!

Jim

Tags
ramp