Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2012, 21:08   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Ocean Delivery Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochueb View Post
I'm purchasing a new FP Hélia 44. After completion & initial commissioning, it'll have to be delivered from La Rochelle to Annapolis for final commissioning.

I'm just starting to get quotes for this, but if anyone with delivery experience could chime in...what "should" this cost?

DH
I think the delivery of my new boat would be the most terrifying part of the buying process. Horror stories abound.

I would start by asking FP whom others have used that may be available as references - I mean owners that are contactable.

If you used a broker I would contact the broker for the same information.

With a new top dollar boat I would not scrimp at this point and I would pay for quality and seriously vett the candidates.

No offence to any of the delivery guys here but a random throw off the internet would be my last choice for a delivery crew.

How many delivery skippers do you think will show you their "not so satisfied" customer references?

Finally, I am with another poster - I would definitely figure out how to be on the boat for the majority of the delivery...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 21:24   #17

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I think the delivery of my new boat would be the most terrifying part of the buying process. Horror stories abound.

I would start by asking FP whom others have used that may be available as references - I mean owners that are contactable.

If you used a broker I would contact the broker for the same information.

With a new top dollar boat I would not scrimp at this point and I would pay for quality and seriously vett the candidates.

No offence to any of the delivery guys here but a random throw off the internet would be my last choice for a delivery crew.

How many delivery skippers do you think will show you their "not so satisfied" customer references?

Finally, I am with another poster - I would definitely figure out how to be on the boat for the majority of the delivery...
IMHO and in defense of the delivery guys here on CF, It's pretty easy to find out if a delivery skipper has a good/great track record or if indeed has several blemishes. Contact any broker in the area where the Captain lives and and does business and where everyone should know them etc... and ask about hers/his reputation. I assure you, they will know the scuttlebutt! Just sayin'.. Also,when the given references are in the range of 3-4 per month, doubt he/she is hiding much. My dos centavos~

ps- I always encourage the owner to join in on the fun. They have the best references!! Bar none! Am taking the owner of an Island Packet 370 from San Deigo to Panama end of the year. Brought him down from Portland to SD in May with his son and g/f. Sweet trip. 8 days including 2 days in Astoria waiting for Bar clearance.
Old 28-10-2012, 21:46   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
IMHO and in defense of the delivery guys here on CF, It's pretty easy to find out if a delivery skipper has a good/great track record or if indeed has several blemishes. Contact any broker in the area where the Captain lives and and does business and where everyone should know them etc... and ask about hers/his reputation. I assure you, they will know the scuttlebutt! Just sayin'.. Also,when the given references are in the range of 3-4 per month, doubt he/she is hiding much. My dos centavos~

ps- I always encourage the owner to join in on the fun. They have the best references!! Bar none! Am taking the owner of an Island packet 370 from San Deigo to Panama end of the year. Brought him down from Portland to SD in May with his son and g/f. Sweet trip. 8 days including 2 days in Astoria waiting for Bar clearance.
Great strategy for picking someone off CF and I don't doubt you and many others here are great.

Also in second reflection I was thinking France to Maryland - this might be NY to MD...

Different prospect...

I'll go back to sleep now...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 04:52   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

It would be interesting to trace where all 'the horror delivery stories' trace from. Might be one single mishap some 15 years ago ...

Here, in LP, plenty of cat deliveries from France to the US stop over. I talk with many crews and never ever heard of any horror delivery stories.

If someone thinks their new boat is safer when cargoed then I suggest search Youtube some.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 05:01   #20
cruiser

We've used PYD Professional Yacht Delivery out of the UK and had two very good experiences. They deliver the new Oysters, HRs, etc. Great communications, no problems, extensive support network, very safe. 400 miles on first delivery, then 1,400 miles on second.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote