Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 07:56   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Mexico cruising $1k/mo

rich boren we are awaiting your return with open arms.
good flat chikkin awaits your return. btw, the prices went up a tad here
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 07:54   #62

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Then there is the duration of your cruise issue that comes up.
People falsely assume that the average cruiser spends 10-15yrs out cruising so they must figure in major maintenance items, but that's just not reality in most cases. The vast majority of average cruisers outfit their boat well before they leave (I would argue almost too well) and then cruise for 2-3 maybe 4-5yrs. Done..they then sell the boat to the next guy. Are their exceptions to this, sure I know cruisers who are on year 45 and on the same boat. But that is NOT the norm at all.

Most of the Cruisers that went down to Mexico in 2007/08 with us, where are they now? The vast majority have sold their boats and are onto other adventures now. But why play the exception game unless you want/plan to be one (a long timer). Sure there are long timers, but they are not the norm so why plan and budget like that? Will you really need to change your rigging on a 3-5yr cruise...no, so why act like that is a reasonable budget item, but yes maybe on a 15yr cruise. Neither will your boat need a major refit during that typical duration cruise....so why panic about that major refit budget that the next owner or you will do once home and making money again.

So take this reality into account and ask the question again:
Can I nicely outfit a boat and then cruise Mexico and the SOC for 1-5yrs on $1000 to $1200/mo...****...it's almost impossible NOT to at that point.

Then you come back to the States and start ripping off the Teak Deck like I'm doing now...ha ha ha...in preparations to head down again to the land where $1500/mo makes you a King.

Good Advise
Many people stress about how much money they have.
Sometimes it is a matter of where and how you live. I live in Mexico like a Queen. I can come back, visit family, road trip anytime.
Go Now!
Don't let your money out live you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 08:46   #63

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=SV THIRD DAY;2166960]
Most of the Cruisers that went down to Mexico in 2007/08 with us, where are they now?

I think we met you in the Isla Isabela anchorage in 2008? We all had a party on some big old boat owned by a doctor. We're still going for a couple more years.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 09:12   #64

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post

Don't let your money out live you.
The only thing worse than dying poor is dying rich.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 09:40   #65

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

sv Third Day 1+
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 10:56   #66

Boat: a sailing boat

If it is NOT possible. Then Mexico IS expensive.

We cruised the West Indies (Martinique to Barbuda) two years ago on USD 400 a month (small boat, two people onboard). No problem and plenty of fun.

I am surprised Mexico is more expensive than West Indies!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 11:14   #67

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

The advertised slip rates in Isla Mujeres are about the same as Marathon.
Old 24-07-2016, 12:28   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

'most places where I cruise we can find a slip for X $/month or 4X $/month and the difference is often no more than an on site "tiki bar" with little umbrellas in the drinks.
Old 24-07-2016, 12:59   #69

here is my breakdown of fees--
rent --up to 500 usd monthly season dependent, summer much lower than winter, when anchoring out is preferable,
500 for me n cat
500 for boat repairs and parts
i do NOT shop for parts in zaragosa, i DO use fishermens stores, which carry exact same items for a lot less . i donot eat gringo foods, which now give me worst case heartburn in life, and i donot go to turista locations to buy turista oriented items. overpriced stuff.
sometimes, i even have a lil left over for ME.. wow .
mazatlan is 3 times higher priced than barra de navidad food purchases and boat repairs and restaurant wise. centro is best place to go in mazatlan, not gringo oriented-is oriented to locals.60-70 pesos for meal--70 for shrimp and specialty seafoods. in the marina area, shrimp meal is 190 pesos. guess where i like to eat....
Old 24-07-2016, 13:26   #70

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Seems like prices in Mexico have gone up considerably?

I'm not really seeing the bargains here. My wife and I eat breakfast (Eggs, has brown, meat, and a pancake, coffee, and OJ) for about $9 for both.

We are currently in a slip with a pool, wifi and electric for $350 USD. Lots of marinas up and down the east coast for $10 or $11 per foot per month.

Beers are $2 or 2.50 at happy hours for bud.

If we really tried we could easily live right here in the USA on 17k a year.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 13:52   #71

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Seems like prices in Mexico have gone up considerably?

I'm not really seeing the bargains here. My wife and I eat breakfast (Eggs, has brown, meat, and a pancake, coffee, and OJ) for about $9 for both.

We are currently in a slip with a pool, wifi and electric for $350 USD. Lots of marinas up and down the east coast for $10 or $11 per foot per month.

Beers are $2 or 2.50 at happy hours for bud.

If we really tried we could easily live right here in the USA on 17k a year.

In mexico we had breakfast, eggs, ham, huge glasses of orange juice we watched being squeezed, fresh home made tortillas. We paid just 40 pesos each. Or about 5.00 for the two of us. One MUST get away from the tourist areas and TRY to speak the language.
Best times to be had is to encourage each other through mutually trying to learn one anothers language. Frenship, language lessons and breakfast...bargin for $5.00.
Old 24-07-2016, 14:22   #72

i find huevos rancheros for 35 pesos in centro mercado upstairs, and i find shrimp dinner for 70 pesos in centro mercado upstairs---- but in gringo land and turistaville, it is considerably more dough.
aguachiles de camaron for 90 pesos. ohyes...200 gm camarones.
chinese food across from centro is 70 pesos for 3 items and a drink. 18.5 pesos to one usdollar/ in marina zone here is 200 pesos for 200 gm dinner shrimpies. aguachiles here are 190 pesos.. ok.....
is easy to get to where the cheap items which taste much better, btw, are found. the pricey ones are geared toward gringos, not mexicans. i prefer the mexican food.
ye gotta get out of turistaville for the good pricing

in barra, huevos rancheros were 45 pesos but so was anything else on menu--including pork meat in green chile sauce and any other guisado they made that day, chile relleno, lovely yummy foods fo r45 pesos with rice and beans and salad. and frsh tortillas she makes there in front of ye. 15 pesos for 1 liter drink. chap tacos. up the street were 15 peso tacos of shrimp. yummm in mazatlan the cheapest shrimp tacos i have seen were 29 pesos each. so far.
rural areas and other areas away from excessive gringo influence are cheapest so far...
Old 24-07-2016, 14:38   #73

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I guess when you compare it to a real expensive cruising area like the Med then it is a bargain.

zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 19:54   #74
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

[QUOTE=Guy;2173428]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Most of the Cruisers that went down to Mexico in 2007/08 with us, where are they now?

I think we met you in the Isla Isabela anchorage in 2008? We all had a party on some big old boat owned by a doctor. We're still going for a couple more years.
Holy Smokes....yep, that was Bill on SV Lady Lexi a huge Hudson Force 50 there for an impromptu anchorage party. Oh the memories...I gotta get these kids outta here and get back out there!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 22:09   #75

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Good to know you are still out there, Zee'. We sold up and now live in the Sierras and have swallowed the hook.
Fond memories of Maz' and Barre Navidad and points north and south as far south as Z'town and north to San Filipe. In 3 years of cruising we spent about $50 K which included two haul outs and pulled the stick in San Carlos. Ate out regularly and enjoyed a couple of sundowners each evening. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Mexico