Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2012, 19:31   #1

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Marinepartdepot.com question?

I am looking at ordering some stainless hardware from these folks. Stainless bollards.

I don't need them till spring, but they have a sale now for one more day. Is this one of those web sites where the sale ends soon ( wink wink) so you better order fast?

They have two styles, which one would you guys get to tie your sailboat in her slip?

Replacing small old and infrequent dock cleats. Some reason my 32' sailboat has a total of three dock cleats, two stern and one at the bow. So I have been using winches for a mid attachment point, Something I don't want to do in 2013.

Guess my boat being sold as a trailer sailor ment it did not need slip attachment points. Lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	yhst-17525248830734_2238_49100437-1.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	50469

Name:	storeimage.png
Views:	239
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	50470

Wanting a total of five, two stern, two mid point, and one bow, using chocks on each side of the bow (already in place)

The one style has a beefier middle, which I would assume be better for the dock lines. The other style is one inch shorter with a beefier cross, which would snag less on a sail (bow)

I ordered five of these (different brand/style) from Defender six months ago. They sent me four, and back ordered one. Still waiting on the one. Tired of waiting.
Old 29-11-2012, 21:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: marinepartdepot.com question?

I don't know the store, but Sampson posts like those on a 31' are massively oversized gear. I couldn't find them on the website, but I couldn't recommend these at all on a boat your size.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 23:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I don't know the store, but Sampson posts like those on a 31' are massively oversized gear. I couldn't find them on the website, but I couldn't recommend these at all on a boat your size.
Pretty sure he wants them on the dock. Same deal though a plain 6" cleat would be 'normal' for a 31 footer
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 23:55   #4

On the sailboat, not the dock.

I have a deck, that is below the edge by over an inch, to route water on the deck I guess.

I could use cleats bow and stern, as is being done now, but midship, the tall edge would prevent me from mounting one in that area. I chose these bits so I could wrap the dock line above the base of the bit, at the cross, taking the dock line over the edge of my sailboat. Otherwise, the dock line will rub on my boat.

Wanting everything to match, going with five, rather than just two. The existing cleats I have are 4", and smaller than I need / prefer, so I am replacing them anyway.

The heavy cross model, is the smaller of the two for overall size. One is 5" tall, the other is 3.5" tall

http://m.marinepartdepot.com/ststsibo.html

http://m.marinepartdepot.com/newststcrbit.html
Old 30-11-2012, 00:15   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On a boat? Really? Never seen that before, and can't imagine them just sitting in the mid of your boat. Apart from anything else, trip hazard (although we have lots of them) and it would be just waiting for an unsuspecting newb to fall on in a slight blow.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 00:28   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Big oversized cleats are an asset on any boat, but they are only as strong as the structures they attached too.

Sampson posts are very tall which can create enormous leverage.
Can you create enough backing so this leverage does not create an issue?

To give you some idea, albeit on a very different sized boat my Sampson post is a welded aluminium tube that extends about two feet below deck. It is welded to a bulkhead (as well as the deck) with some additional webs and stringers.
Wooden boats often have a similar degree of strength.

I fear the Sampson post will look very strong, but because of the leverage effects will be weaker than normal horn cleat and be more of a trip hazard.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 00:50   #7

Trip hazards should not be an issue, as the mounting points are not typically located where people walk. My upper deck extends almost to the edge of the boat. What remains, is too narrow to walk on. The stantions pretty much negate walking on that level. My beam is 8'

Good points about making sure they are securarly attached. Sometimes these are sold and used for towing in the water, and that would put vast forces on the boat. I won't be using them that way, and three of the five will have the deck lines, at deck height.
Old 30-11-2012, 00:58   #8

Two bits will be placed in the corners of the stern. No foot traffic there. Likewise, one each side midship. The tip of the bow, sees little walking.

Name:	www_yachtauthority_com_00039529_152.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	50474

Name:	ForumRunner_20121130_025539.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	50475
Old 30-11-2012, 03:44   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Two bits will be placed in the corners of the stern. No foot traffic there. Likewise, one each side midship. The tip of the bow, sees little walking.

Attachment 50474

Attachment 50475
Looks as though you are space challenged.Why not explore the idea of raising the existing cleats with blocks.I,did this year;s ago worked fine.Don't use Teak.Too much maintence.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 05:21   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Good points about making sure they are securarly attached. Sometimes these are sold and used for towing in the water, and that would put vast forces on the boat. I won't be using them that way, and three of the five will have the deck lines, at deck height.
I had one on a assistance towboat, as Nolex said it had a lot of under deck reinforcements. In my case it had another aluminum tube and three large transverse ribs. The load was spread from the keel to to the top cap. If you are only securing them to the cap, I fear the torsional moment amplified by the additional height will cause the deck to fail.

Of course you could always make the first wrap at the base..... but what about the "helpful" dock walker who adjusted your line in a blow?
Old 30-11-2012, 05:37   #11
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Gary, I have checked them out and bought from them before and yes, in my experience the date suggesting the 'sale ends tomorrow' is an ongoing thing.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 06:00   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If I was you I'd just put two more horn cleats forward of the cockpit winches to run the spring lines from. That boat doesn't need huge deck gear, the cleats you've already got are fine too, use a smaller higher quality dock line and there will be no problems.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 13:39   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

i've bought some stuff from them and it's looked very good. Haven't installed any of it so don't know how it will stand up in a salty environment. Believe they claim their obviously sourced in China gear is 316, though.

They keep sending me email flyers several times a week with 'Sale' notices. Haven't looked at them closely to see whether it's new stuff every time or just the usual marketing hype.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 14:05   #14

Re: Marinepartdepot.com question?

Those dont sound like they are really that big, I dont see any problem using them if it works for you. Personally I dont like bollards much, seems like it's harder to get the line wrapped securely than a cleat. For loops they are great. Just a thought.
I've bought a few things from MPD, seemed like pretty good stuff for the $.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 14:25   #15

I first saw these being used on custom built, high dollar speed boats, and that is what got me to looking at them.

Any advantage with the larger post, for less wear on the dock lines?

I think the heavy cross one looks best, and is a lower profile.

Name:	storeimage.png
Views:	148
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	50504

Name:	yhst-17525248830734_2238_49100437-1.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	50505