Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2019, 14:13   #1

Boat: Volkscruiser
Marina dumpster finds

Just wondering what treasures you guys have found in your marina dumpsters? A few months ago I found a drill press and decided to take it home and see if it worked. It works a treat and now I wonder why I have never owned one. So what have you guys found?
Cheers
“Thread inspired by GiLow”
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 14:57   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Marina dumpster finds

My complete first windsurf gear (board, mast and boom) :-) Amazing what some folks put in the trashcan...
Old 23-12-2019, 15:10   #3

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Our marina has a "free table" where most of the good bits go. We have picked up several of the items that look so tempting in the boating catalogues, tried them, found them wanting, and put them back. It has saved us a fortune. The best keeper was an almost new 37lb Danforth anchor. Of course, I have left my share of good stuff as well. There was a rumor that one fellow in the marina was ebay-ing the stuff that looked good. That was judged to be unfair and frowned upon.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 16:17   #4

Boat: Islander 36

We also have a free table. Rope (I can't leave it and I have tons), electric heater, fan, pot (that I use every day), books, magazines.

I leave books, magazines, clothes.
smith8273 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 16:44   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I noticed a worn and ragged Bimini Top leaning against the dumpster some years ago. It was too large to fit in the bin. After taking off the old fabric I was left with about forty feet of quality 1" diameter stainless steel tubing that I put to good use. I used it to replace a number of stanchion pipes between my base plates and caps; built a fine border ladder; and added some rails at the quarters.
Old 23-12-2019, 17:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Previous owner of my previous boat found the genuine Baby Blake toilet in a marina skip. The toilet would have cost 3600 pounds new (yes that's about 5000 US dollars!!!) and it just needed new $20 seals!

Edit: price has gone up, they are on special offer now at 4133 pounds! https://www.marinechandlery.com/baby...-marine-toilet
chris14679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 17:54   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I've found lots of shady marine gear on free tables and in dumpsters, and have gleefully carted some of them off to the boat. Don't spend much time in marinas these days, so no recent gems to report.

But way back in the late 80's when we were living aboard in Marina Village (Alameda CA) I found a complete set of golf clubs with little knitted snoods for the woods, all in a nice leather bag with wheels. Not being interested in golf, I left them for another diver... but I've long wondered just what drove that deposit, and if it was made by their rightful owner... or perhaps the owner's spouse??

Jim
Old 23-12-2019, 18:36   #8

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

We also have a free table, my son scored a brand new, never used Fortress FX16 anchor, too big for his boat at the time, too small for his current one, just right for mine. I have found lots of good stuff and left some too.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 19:10   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 47.7

About 15 years ago, my wife and I spent the winter at Elliott Bay Marina in Seattle. One Saturday mid-winter, there was a rare sunny day so we took advantage and sat in the cockpit. We watched a guy walk toward the parking lot with a Furuno radar display. He walked back empty handed a minute later, then passed by again with the radome in his arms. When he returned again, he had a dock cart full of new radar gear. My wife wondered what he did with the old stuff and looked in the dumpster. Sure enough, there it was! I gave her a boost and she pulled the entire system out of the trash and we sold it on eBay for almost $1000. Five years later, we were at Schoonmaker Marina in Sausalito when I found a box full of Lewmar blocks next to the dumpster. My wife didn't have to dive for that one, and we earned over $1000 after selling them all. We're ALWAYS on the lookout for a good dumpster find!
RobTryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 20:27   #10

Boat: Formosa 41

Years ago there was a article in a sailing magazine about a cruiser who would purposely get a slip in a marina in the Spring to pick the dumpster.

It may have been Fatty Goodlander.

Anyone recall that story?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 20:42   #11

Sometimes, when you're on the move, your time is worth more than the stuff you need to leave behind.

I've left stuff on the "free table" or in the "place near the dumpster that everyone knows about" more often than I care to admit.

Once I left a decent cooler, and my next door neighbor had it at his boat before I got out of the marina.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 21:03   #12

Boat: Baba 35

I found an entire case of Fiji water with the individual bottles still shrink wrapped together in the dumpster. I dove in there to get it.

Score!
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 23:16   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Let's see: about 65 ft. of 1/2" polyester double braid; a 20 l. dinghy furel tank; some pots and pans; just a little bit of this and that. She who saves, finds.
Old 24-12-2019, 02:58   #14

Boat: Volkscruiser

I found a signed copy of Shaun Quincey’s book Tasman Trespasser 2 in the marina book swap today. It should make for good Christmas Day reading I hope.
Cheers
https://www.harpercollins.co.nz/9781...trespasser-ii/
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 10:52   #15

A friend found a brand new ( in box) knot meter in our marina thrift shop / dumpster. It was exactly the unit for my boat and was certified as new when I sent to Signet Marine. I’ve found spools of line , fenders which I’ve acquired over the years as well. The rich often don’t know the treasures they toss ( or don’t care).
Smooth Move is offline   Reply With Quote