Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2020, 19:39   #1

Looking for a new boat

Hello everyone!
Me and my girlfriend are hichhiking from fort lauderdale and planing to go south. Now we are cruising on a boat for 2 months now in the bahamas and now I really want to buy a boat of my own! (with my girlfriend of course).
Where is the best plase to look for a boat in the caribbean? We dont think of going back to lauderdale, we want keep with our journy and to buy it on the way.
Im looking to buy a sailboat 30-35 feet, with budget of 20k.
Any recomendations? I saw in the boatlisting.com a few boats here in Bahamas perfect for me but they not answering for my Emails... and i cant get to them. But maybe there are better deals around the carribean that you guys can light my eyes on?
jackiemelni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 21:19   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Looking for a new boat

You will have more options in Florida and it will be far easier to get parts to fix it up. You might find some deals on hurricane damaged boats in the US or British Virgins.
Old 15-02-2020, 05:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You will have more options in Florida and it will be far easier to get parts to fix it up. You might find some deals on hurricane damaged boats in the US or British Virgins.
Thank you paul.
Im not looking to start fixing a boat. Not in my budget and dont want to get into this mess. I thought to get "ready to sail" boat.

And i know in florida much more choices but.. i dont think we ready to go back there.
Just a small question, is it a problem that im not us citizen to buy a boat there?
Old 15-02-2020, 17:42   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemelni View Post
Thank you paul.
Im not looking to start fixing a boat. Not in my budget and dont want to get into this mess. I thought to get "ready to sail" boat.

And i know in florida much more choices but.. i dont think we ready to go back there.
Just a small question, is it a problem that im not us citizen to buy a boat there?
Any boat you get will require some attention to make it work for your cruising.

You can purchase a boat in the US if you are a non US citizen. You just have to decide where you will register it. Most typically in your home country, but there are other choices..

You could do worse than to purchase in Florida and do a shake down cruise through the Bahamas.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemelni View Post
Thank you paul.

1. Hard to see how one could hitchhike town to Florida these days.
2. You need to know what kind of budget you face just to maintain any boat you buy.
dickfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:25   #6

We have a Gemini catamaran for sale, $25,000 located in palm beach, Florida
chantal420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantal420 View Post
Wow nice, can i have the details about it?
Old 16-02-2020, 10:03   #8

Here’s the link:

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/83601

Text me if you have any questions, there’s some more pics on my Instagram account: itschantal420
chantal420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 11:54   #9

Jackie:

Be cautious! Buying a boat in the US and using it in the US, if you are not a US national, is much more complicated than it appears on the surface of it! And it gets to be even more fun if as a non-US national you sail the boat FROM the US to some other national jurisdiction!

In the US, I believe, there are two kinds of "registration" for pleasure craft. One form is to 'DOCUMENT" the craft with the US Coast Guard. If you buy a boat that is so documented, or if you yourself have it so documented, you CANNOT skipper it, AFAIK. Only US nationals can do that! Alternatively, a boat can be "REGISTERED" in any one of the states. Whether a given state will let you, as "an alien", register a boat there, I cannot say, and it might indeed vary from state to state.

If, per chance, you are a Canadian, you can certainly BUY a boat in the US or anywhere else in the world. However, to REGISTER it with the Canadian Ministry of Transport, or even licence it, you must IMPORT it. Even if the boat never enters Canadian waters, you must import it in the sense that you do the paper work and pay the relevant import duty. I am not a jour with the current regulations. I recommend that you contact a CUSTOMS BROKER to learn what amount of import duty and taxes would be payable, lest you should find yourself facing an unpleasant surprise. Here in BC the taxes are 12%, so in round terms if you pay the seller $40,000, you will owe the Federal and Provincial governments an additional $5,000.

Other jurisdictions throughout their world will have their own laws and regulations, so do invest a little time and perhaps a few dollars in investigating what you as "an alien" will be faced with if buying a boat in the US. Do contact the relevant authorities in the country whose passport you hold, as well as the US authorities, to learn about these things. Doing so will cost you next to nothing, and it may save you a great deal, even up to the loss of having your newly acquired boat confiscated!

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 13:21   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Your budget is going to be a problem for any ready to go boat (if such a thing actually exists). I've heard there are usually very good deals in the Rio Dulce area of Guatemala but getting there may prove to be a problem for you.

Anything you find for 20K is definitely going to need some work.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 13:31   #11

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I heard something general that might be worth checking.

Apparently, some boaters get the bug, set up a sailboat, get experience, and head for the Caribbean and lose interest. They seem to end up in Trinidad and are finished with the adventure.

So, the rumor is that good deals can be had in Trinidad.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 13:35   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

With a hard budget of only $20K, I suggest not buying a boat, but continue to crew. As you build experience, more opportunities will come your way and you will still have your $20K...which will evaporate like dew in the hot sun as soon as you buy a boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 16:32   #13

Try Trinidad. Try a Miura.
PaulvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 10:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantal420 View Post
What is your Email?