Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2011, 08:01   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Katrina Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Given the boat's history that would be a red flag to me - not an automatic deal breaker, but a heavy caution. The good news is that at least you know this was a Katrina boat, I am sure plenty around with no idea of there boats past. . . .
The keyword here is "red flag" when it comes to possible collision damage during a storm. Collision being with other boats and/or pilings, seawalls, etc. - anything hard and non-moving.

- - So the "extra" needed is to look behind the interior furnishings and inside any compartments that have access to the inside of the hull. Look for cracked (usually color changes from orange-brown to white) tabbing, bulkhead joints, floor joints, and interior surfaces of the outer hull.

- - Since FRG boats are made from fiberglass, they are flexible and the hull will flex or oil can when a collision happens. Cracking or separation of internal parts of the boat can frequently happen. So it is wise to spend some time looking "behind" and "inside" things to see if there is any evidence of collision damage.

- - Also stand back outside and look down the surface of the hull just a few degrees off parallel and see if there are any dents or irregularities and the curved shape of the hull. Most collision damage repairs are not "perfect" and will show up when looking longwise down the hull surface.

- - Same thing on deck, look at the toe rail area and see if there are any obvious patching and repairs along with excessive "spider cracking" in the gelcoat. If the deck of such a new boat is painted rather than plain gelcoated, that is a good indication of significant hull collision damage.

- - So as others have said, you can find some really good buys/opportunities in storm damage areas as a surviving boat carries a "stigma" of being in the storm but, in fact, it survived will little or no damage. On the other hand, you cannot alone trust that so you should do an extra careful examination/survey to be sure.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 08:14   #17

The bill shows $2,000 repair hull and make paint ready, $9,000 prepare and paint sides, $1,200 prepare and paint bottom, $1,200 recoat stripes and graphics, $2,400 replace 24' rubrail and ss molding.
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 08:51   #18

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
I paid to have "Boat History" run a report and there is nothing on record, which tells me that "Boat History" is worthless.
Ding, Ding, Ding!!! We have a winner!
Old 29-10-2011, 08:54   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

That #2K -> repair hull is the ?? that needs to be answered. What did they repair? If there was only abrasion scaring of the hull from rubbing against things and not cracks or indentations, fine. Considering the low amount of money, it is likely that there was only extensive scratching and scraping damage.
- - But to be sure you need to get "inside" and look behind things to see if they were puttying over fractures and holes and then painting to hide the damage.

- - Needless to say a competent surveyor should be able to see if there was structural hull damage or just cosmetic damage. You hire the surveyor and he works for you. Don't use the seller's surveyor. Remember, used/old boats are sold "As is, Where is" with no warranties or guarantees. So do the inspections carefully and properly and you may have just found a "diamond" amongst the rubble.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 08:56   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Must be somewhere in deep space.

My Imron topcoat and proper primer materials cost way more than AwlGrip and The new Interlux (can't remember the name).
You got screwed. It's not like I didn't include a link....
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 09:10   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
The keyword here is "red flag" when it comes to possible collision damage during a storm. Collision being with other boats and/or pilings, seawalls, etc. - anything hard and non-moving.

- - So the "extra" needed is to look behind the interior furnishings and inside any compartments that have access to the inside of the hull. Look for cracked (usually color changes from orange-brown to white) tabbing, bulkhead joints, floor joints, and interior surfaces of the outer hull.

- - Since FRG boats are made from fiberglass, they are flexible and the hull will flex or oil can when a collision happens. Cracking or separation of internal parts of the boat can frequently happen. So it is wise to spend some time looking "behind" and "inside" things to see if there is any evidence of collision damage.

- - Also stand back outside and look down the surface of the hull just a few degrees off parallel and see if there are any dents or irregularities and the curved shape of the hull. Most collision damage repairs are not "perfect" and will show up when looking longwise down the hull surface.

- - Same thing on deck, look at the toe rail area and see if there are any obvious patching and repairs along with excessive "spider cracking" in the gelcoat. If the deck of such a new boat is painted rather than plain gelcoated, that is a good indication of significant hull collision damage.

- - So as others have said, you can find some really good buys/opportunities in storm damage areas as a surviving boat carries a "stigma" of being in the storm but, in fact, it survived will little or no damage. On the other hand, you cannot alone trust that so you should do an extra careful examination/survey to be sure.
I might add; if it's a CORED HULL you may not find any interior damage. If the gelcoat were damage and exterior cracking occurred then that maybe the reason for the paint job. A little oil canning on the exterior will not show up on the interior.

I would go around the toerail with a 'fine tooth comb' and look for signs of cracking or filler. And take a little plastic hammer with you. A little tapping on filler will have a more solid sound, if it's cored.

But it comes down to what you are going to use the boat for (coastal vs off shore). If it were an off shore boat the chances are it faired well. As a live aboard I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 29-10-2011, 11:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance835 View Post
The boat is not in New Orleans anymore. It was recently moved to Mobile. I do have a detailed repair bill. The boat was purchased in 05 and was basically a brand new boat when the storm hit. I saw pictures of the boat in the marina after the storm and it was sitting as though nothing had ever happened. boats nearby had uprooted but did not hit the boat. some nearby boats looked unscathed as well but others were sitting atop the docks. I was told the uprooted boats were sitting outside a concrete wall which protected this boat..
Doesn't sound like it got much damage if it was still floating and you didn't notice anything wrong in the photos. Plenty of boats in N.O. made it through Katrina without a scratch, including ours. Of course, plenty sank as well. My guess is that just as many got a rash from 12 hours of rubbing against pilings.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 16:34   #23

WOW! I really appreciate all the input. We are retired and about to set out on our dream of living aboard. We don't have the time or money to make a big mistake in purchasing a lemon. We are not going to kid ourselves and plan an around the world trip. We know our limitations and therefore will be "fair" weather sailors. One or two days at sea will probably be max and if longer we will surround ourselves with other boats.

I am desperately looking for a good surveyor in the Mobile area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I read a book by an author who said he had a survey on a boat that checked out good and the boat literally fell apart before he could get it home.

Thanks again for all of your help. We will go back to the boat with a powerful flashlight and look the boat over one more time before making an offer. My wife is leaning toward forgetting the boat and finding another which may be best unless we can find a surveyor we can trust.
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote