Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2018, 09:14   #16

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43
Re: Just over the "LOA limit" (EU/Med)?

In the Med, serious marinas will ask to see the boat registration papers which states length and breath. The cost will be based on the overall surface (LxB).
Make sure the papers state proper measurements. For annuel contracts consider taking a Cruiser Association UK membership for the discounts you are entitled in some marinas. In Marmaris Yacht marina for instance we get 10% on our annual contract à saving of 400 euros against a 250 € membership fee!
Elsewhere you might be able to negotiate but it’s case by case and in Greece some port authorities don’t even bother collecting their mooring fees.
Finally, with the new Greek rules it’s worthy to stay under 12m for the new cruising fee structure make for a steep difference. Check it out!
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:47   #17

Thanks for all the replies, it's more about the yearly/multi-month contract. E.g. in the Algarve Vilamura a Fulmar would pay 3700EUR/year the 1'/4% (!!) longer Discus 5700 by the book. And it's not the only example I encountered.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:59   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Just over the "LOA limit" (EU/Med)?

Whereas on the W coast I pay euro1800/yr for a 39ftr..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:46   #19

Boat: FP Helia 44 Evo

Almost all Med marinas will ask for your insurance and registration docs. They charge based on the length stated on them.
FlyTheCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:14   #20

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

For UK SRR I believe you tell them how long your boat is....
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Whereas on the W coast I pay euro1800/yr for a 39ftr..
Exactly, same goes to many places in Scandinavia, Azores, Ireland, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheCoop View Post
Almost all Med marinas will ask for your insurance and registration docs. They charge based on the length stated on them.
e.g. this is the croatian ACI policy for their dozen marinas:

Quote:
Prices are based on the vessel’s length overall (LOA). Length overall is defined as the total length of the vessel from the foremost part of the bow to the aftermost part of the stern, measured parallel to the waterline (including projections such as the stern platform and the bowsprit).
True, they don't charge more than 500€/year for that additional 0.1m.
Old 07-01-2018, 14:38   #22

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

Is it not possible to anchor in the Mediterranean? Theres a significant cost savings! Unless they are following Florida and charging /prohibiting anchoring? Or is the coastline such that anchoring is not practical? Curious.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 14:44   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Just over the "LOA limit" (EU/Med)?

In the W Med there's a few places been closed off and mooring buoys laid.. you can still anchor but.. its in deeper water and less protected.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 15:28   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In the W Med there's a few places been closed off and mooring buoys laid.. you can still anchor but.. its in deeper water and less protected.
Exactly, I certainly want something safer if I leave the boat behind for weeks...
Old 07-01-2018, 15:37   #25

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Rather than copping a big increase for a few inches over accept that you are going to be paying extra and buy an 11.64 metre Sealord.

That way you at least get some value for your money
Old 07-01-2018, 18:24   #26

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalifour View Post
In the Med, serious marinas will ask to see the boat registration papers which states length and breath. The cost will be based on the overall surface (LxB).
...!
That is like that LXB in some marinas, specially in Turkey but more marinas (on all med) charge monohulls according the length that is on the boat papers.

Some have also a max beam, entering another class if a boat has a given size but a beam bigger than a given number.

Some examples:

Mooring fees - Yacht Port Cartagena - La nueva marina del Mediterráneo
Tarifas - Puerto Deportivo Marina Internacional
K&G Med. Marinas Management: Marinas in Greece - Moorings - Online Reservations - Greek Marinas - Harbours, Harbors - Creete, Zea Piraeus Athens, Kalamata, Lefkas, Corfu - Marinas Management
Marina Di Aquileia - prezzi
Listino prezzi | Marina Portoro?
Prezzi e Condizioni Ormeggi Marina Dorica AnconaOrmeggi e Posti Barca Marina Dorica Ancona Riviera del Conero
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 19:27   #27

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

I once asked why it was called a C&C 29 when it looked like a 30ft boat. Rob Mazza responded for two reasons: first they were already selling a 30ft, and second it was adapted from a winning IOR boat at the request from the Youngstown YC. And they were looking for a boat members could race as a one design and cruise as a family to the St Lawrence and back. Do to Custom's fee the length was specified at 29.75 feet, avoiding the annual $30. Sticker fee. Now you know.....
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 20:13   #28

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly View Post
Is it not possible to anchor in the Mediterranean? Theres a significant cost savings! Unless they are following Florida and charging /prohibiting anchoring? Or is the coastline such that anchoring is not practical? Curious.
you can't drop the anchor within 300m from the coast (but by night) and half a mile off harbour inlets. (Italy)

some sea beds are steep and deep, or protection is limited.

In no way you can leave a boat unattended on the anchor.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 23:14   #29

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

In contrast there are still a bizillion places to anchor freely in the med. Which is what most cruisers will do barring winter months (some even then).

In the Spanish Islands popular anchorages have placed some mooring balls. There are still usually places to anchor in those anchorages though. Often the balls are placed under the guise of protecting the sea bed. That would be fair enough, why then don't they just recover their costs rather trying to charge something daft like €30 per day.

As stated earlier on in the thread, on the UK SSR you get to tell them how long your boat is
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 23:42   #30

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
I agree with Pollux. The LOA may be one thing but the REGISTERED length on your registration doc maybe less since it is the registered hull length not the LOA. I give you an example. My boat has "Jeanneau 43" in big letter/numbers on the side. 43ft is actually 13.1 metres but i have rarely been charged 13.1 metres. Most often 13 metres but about 50% of the time i can get the 12-12.99 metre rate since my official (UK Part 1, not SSR) registration doc says "12.85 metres".

There will be the occasional kind guy such as when i said "13 metres" he said he was feeling happy that day and replied "OK, was that 12 metres you said?" (Croatia 2017).....

Frankly, in proportion to the total costs of running a boat and all the upgrades/repairs, i do not put this subject at the top of the list. You might save enough for a few beers occasionally.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Its also worth to re-calculate the length given in the registration papers. The Maltese officials made out of my 26 foot length 8.03 meter while the correct result would be 7.9248 meter = border hopping in marinas
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa