Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 09:38   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Id second that, On a pleasure craft especially a small one, having the boat registered in one country and the skippers passport another tends to invite inspection.

dave
There are differences between 1/ risk perception 2/ national pride and 3/ yacht management so you need to look at this a bit separately.

1 Flagging your vessel with the Stars and Stripes will have many international strangers approaching you already thinking “friend or foe”, so yes Americans have been targeted for political reasons.

2 Who you are is more important than where you come from, but for some, if they identify themselves first as Canadians or Americans or Israelis, then it is important that they show the Flag and carry the pride.

3 GoBoat….I disagree since many cruisers are non-residents of their country of Citizenship, so flagging in another country is fairly common.

But I guess because of tax and dual nationality laws of the past…it is mainly in the US that offshore yacht management is considered suspicious.

For a world cruise, registering your yacht in a legal Flag of Convenience way so that you are not faced with Tax implications if you have an extended stay in one of your dual nationality countries, is a 3rd option in managing your yacht.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:39   #32

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Common sense 101: The flag is displayed on the vessel, not you. It shows were the vessel is registered. Most likely an International agreement/law between nations. A captain from Ethiopia on a commericial ship registered in Panama would fly a Panamian flag.
Your passport shows were you are registered.
When you go to Customs/Immigration you take your registration and passport, not your flag,
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:44   #33

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Probably saver under a Somali flag
A great idea for the Gulf of Aden etc to avoid Pirate problems. "Hey, we won't mess with one of our own. After our next robbery let's buy a sailboat like he did."
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:46   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Is it safe?..............

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:46   #35
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Do They don't even care if "there" is a real place--you can invent a town, .
Oh. I thought the Hailing Port was on some list of worldwide hailing ports...

sort of like Ports of Entry

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:06   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulfborealis View Post
I have done a lot of world travel in the past 5 years or so. When in doubt, I tell people I'm Canadian even though I carry a US passport.
That's funny, because as a Canadian, many of us wear a small Canadian flag on our lapels (or backsacks) to advertise our nationality. I can't tell you how often in Europe I have been asked if I am an American. Not that there is anything wrong with that
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37   #37

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Do what? How is he going to show the home port as Austin, TX? Is that what you are asking?

The CG does not care in the least what city you choose as your home port to paint on your boat. They don't care if you have ever been there. They don't care if your boat has ever been there. They don't even care if "there" is a real place--you can invent a town, if you'd like. They just don't care.
Sorry. You're right, my question wasn't very clear. I was just wondering how they were going to 'sail out of Austin' as the OP stated to get the boat to the Gulf. It's a bit off topic, but they did mention it so I was just curious.
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 16:34   #38
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
For a world cruise, registering your yacht in a legal Flag of Convenience way so that you are not faced with Tax implications if you have an extended stay in one of your dual nationality countries, is a 3rd option in managing your yacht.
nonsense, try that trick in an EU country on a small boat ( ie not obviously a superyacht or in commercial charter) and see what happens. Be prepared to answer a lot of VAT questions

It is far better to register your boat in the country of your passport ( if possible) It seems more consistent to the various officials one meets. The fatc that you are non-resident of a country usually means you cant register in any country. In my experience supposidly non-resident cruisers , always maintain the ficition of a domicile, its too useful to loose.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 17:42   #39
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Dave….. many people are under the false impression that it is some kind of trick, where-in fact it is the same thing many multi national companies do to manage their assets.

As a yachting visitor to a country the answers are very easy, when an overzealous Customs agent tries to rattle your cage.

Where do you live?…. My Boat

Where is your official residence?…. My Boat

Where do you pay taxes?…. What has that got to do with visiting your country as a tourist?

Why did you register your boat in xyz country?…. So that I can legally cruise the world in My Boat without being linked to any specific country that used to be my residence or that I am still a citizen of. If I have broken a Law, please explain it to me now.

Normally that is where it will end, but I have had an apology from his supervisor when one guy got stubborn.

Edit:.... It has only happened twice in about 20 years
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 17:18   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Hey Pelagic, Ill visit you in jail, and remember keep servicing the Yanmar, while the boats chained to the dock for 10 years,

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 18:05   #41
cruiser

Location: Usually somewhere that Triangulum Australe is in sight.
Boat: 28 foot steel sloop, Fiddler
As your flag is sacred to you, the aussie flag is to us... I would worry more about aussies hanging **** on you than the taliban out in water! I remember when our passport was the best to have, last thing I want is a foreigner, regardless of citizen ship flying my flag, it is like wiping your arse with the stars and stripes. It just aint cricket...
Henry Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 13:25   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
That's funny, because as a Canadian, many of us wear a small Canadian flag on our lapels (or backsacks)
as do many Americans now. Somebody was selling a 'pretend your Canadian' kit online for Americans traveling overseas that included a lapel pin and flag patch .
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 17:01   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
as do many Americans now. Somebody was selling a 'pretend your Canadian' kit online for Americans traveling overseas that included a lapel pin and flag patch .
Yeah that seems like cheating, maybe even immoral, certainly deceptive, for just traveling. Of course genocide is real, and is happening now, but not where it affects any but very few americans. I'd say do what you have to do if you are escaping genocide, war or the like. But otherwise proudly wear your colors as appropriate and accept the occasional impolite treatment as the cost of being a member of a nation that has done much good and some bad.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 18:49   #44

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Exclamation Then you can't go

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
BBC News - US issues travel alert for Americans in Europe

Avoid anywhere popular

Also the chance of Alien abduction
If you leave your home country then you are an alien anywhere you are! If you go to a popular place (or even unpopular) and you are abducted then it's an "alien abduction". If cruisers abduct each other then it's an alien, alien abduction..... You will not be able to get insurance on the goat if you claim to be an alien or an alien abductee. If you leave Jersey you will become alienated. Who wants that?

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 20:49   #45

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
. . . The CG does not care in the least what city you choose as your home port to paint on your boat. They don't care if you have ever been there. They don't care if your boat has ever been there. They don't even care if "there" is a real place--you can invent a town, if you'd like. They just don't care.

Not quite, the home port must be a legitimate place [unless there has been another change recently] - -
What are documentation home and hailing ports? - Prior to the consolidation of various regional vessel documentation offices into one central location, the city of such locations was known as the home port. With the elimination of these offices, the "home port" concept no longer applied and such declarations are not currently part of the documentation process. A hailing port is simply the city and state which must accompany the vessel name on a documented vessel. This designation has no relation to where the vessel is moored or operated and can be any city and state with a U.S. postal zip code. In order to change an existing name or hailing port, it will be necessary to re-document the vessel.

Coast Guard Documentation Information - MarineTitle.com
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote