Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: How much have you lost??
10-20% 5 15.15%
21-30% 9 27.27%
31-40% 10 30.30%
41 and up 9 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2008, 15:34   #31

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Sorry for the OT pull, but I have to ask... those of you with wives that don't work full time... what do they DO all day (assuming no infants to care for)?
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 17:45   #32

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My argument was that you have already lost, even if you have not actually sold. If your investment is now valued at USD500 (instead of USD1000 you purchased at) then you get to say to yourself "what is the best way of turning USD500 into USD1000?" (note I did not say "back into" - as "The value of your investment can simply go down instead of up" ).....the answer may be that what you have already is the best way. But their are always other options to consider......plenty of other investments have gone down the toilet in recent times, some will resurface better and quicker than others. and some won't resurface at all........
Measuring a gain or loss by what might have happened or what you otherwise might have done with your investments reminds me of my last girlfriend who in her mind never spent money, but always "saved" money. For example, store A, had a dress that had been marked at $200 and she bought it "discounted" for $150. She was so happy too tell me she saved $50. Of course, the same dress had always been priced at $100 at store B, so I argued, she lost $50 by spending more than she needed to. In fact, I argued, store B might have actually sold it to her for $50 off too, so she really lost $100! As I was walking up and down the street waiting for her to let me back inside, I thought about it some more. In the end I realized she didn't "save" or "loose" $50 on the dress: what she did was spend $150 to purchase it. What she could have theoretically bought it for it didn't really matter.

By time I was let back in, I was smart enough not to talk about the cost of the dress anymore. She continued to think she saved $50 and dutifully wrote $50 down in the + column of her check book. She and her bank never did see eye to eye on the $200 difference between her month end balance sheet and theirs.....

Just as with a the dress, if you buy stock for $100 and sell it for $150, it's a net gain of $50. It doesn't really matter if someone marked it (or valued it) as $200, $100 or between those times.

Part of my reason for saying this, is that while many here are understandably focused on the fact that the the dress someone might have paid them $200 for six months ago, would only fetch $150 today, they forget that they bought it for $75 ten years ago, and it may be worth $200 in another ten. They also forget, that right now it's not $75, or $100, or $150 or $200. I'ts not a loss or a gain: it's simply a dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
? What doesn't go on the refit this Winter I plan to drink
Now there's an "gain" you'll enjoy regardless of what the stock market does afterwards...
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 21:43   #33

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Sorry for the OT pull, but I have to ask... those of you with wives that don't work full time... what do they DO all day (assuming no infants to care for)?
heres an up shot of mine.

1)7:30 am Drive kids to school
2)9:30 take another to reading tuter
3)10:30 go back for others
4) 12:30 bring them home
5) house work maybe a nap/ partial home school
6) 5:30 Drop two off at music lessons or soccer depending on days ( teams are 25 miles apart )
7) Call me and find out who I can pick back up/deliver either at 6:30 or 8:30 ( yes practices are 2 hours even in winter under lights)
8) Meet at home if she chooses the early pick up dinner is waiting for me when I get home.
8) She will still be doing laundry/house work/or art work till 10 or 11 pm

Now that my oldest started driving herself and the little ones in the morning this year it has eased up on her a bit..now my wife actually gets a break and can sleep in 3 morning a week to the 9:30 schedule above.

It was way easier on her when we did 100% home school and I dont like the schedule she has bit off for herself now with partial public school but it is short now, 3 or 4 years and they will all be off to collage..we only get one shot at em.

I almost feel guilty working only 8 to 10 hours per day bringing home the bacon so to speak....She works way harder then I do.

Just a window into our world...Hope that helps

Joli:

Thats the common sense type of economics I home school my girls with ...good on ya.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote