Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2022, 10:15   #1

Insurance Requiring a Lightning Rod

I'm new to both the forum and cruising. I'm purchasing a FP Belize 43 and as part of getting insurance the provider is requiring a lightning rod for them to cover a lightning strike. My research seems to indicate that these are, at best less effective, and at worst a waste of money. Yet I'm concerned I'll be denied a claim if we get hit.

Lastly this company appears to be the only one we can find at a price that is even worth considering.

The odd thing is that they don't appear to have a standard for what type of lightning rod is expected. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
CYNAEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:22   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Insurance Requiring a Lightning Rod

Take a picture of your vhf antenna , say you have installed a “ rod “‘as required to the top of the mast. Buy beer with money saved. [emoji3]
Old 12-05-2022, 10:26   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Sounds like this underwriter isn’t in the marine insurance business. Cheap price doesn’t equal good value.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The mast is a good lightning rod . However, this needs a grounding point to the water.

Grounding the mast will not reduce the chance of strikes (or it will only make a small difference), but it will reduce the chance of catastrophic damage.

Installing such a system will help increase safety. I suspect this will satisfy the insurance company as this is the best practice for boats, especially catamarans that are more likely to suffer lightning strikes.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cynaem.

Electricity will take ALL paths to ground, in approximately inverse proportion to the impedance of each path.
This is why a proper lightning mitigation system provides a highly conductive continuous path from an elevated air terminal, to the water (gnd).
The lightning air terminal (rod) is fixed at the mast top, which is grounded to a submerged ground terminal (metal keel, gnd strip, SiedarcTM , etc), with minimum #6 AWG cable.

It’s not a dissipator/charge transfer device, intended to prevent a strike.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:09   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

and here I have always though that sailboat were all just floating lighting rods
Old 12-05-2022, 12:15   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I was in a line of boats in a thunder storm entering Midland. A 80’ SeaRay jumped in between two large Sailboats. I guess he transmitted on the VHF. We watched blinded bye a bolt which dodged two large masts and blew a hole in the side of his helm. Somehow the boat still ran and he managed to make it in. His wife fought a cabin fire.
I’ve heard of one other naive insurance company asking this. He sent one of his kids up the chair with a welding rod he’d wrapped some bare copper wire around and a main house fuse on two clips. His kid took the photo and he sent it in. We were all in tears as he told us.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:54   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tashing, Panda, 38

Hi, I am a cruiser and insurance agent. I have never heard of this requirement. What’s the company that is asking for this? Feel free to email me if you would like to chat more. I am Laura@MarineInsurance.cc.
blueblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:56   #9

Boat: B423

You will get underwriting requirements from time to time that don't make any sense. You may be able to prove there is already lightning mitigation. Do you think there is?

If you like the policy and price and you can comply for a reasonable price. It usually is worth doing so. Do document compliance with invoices and pictures regardless of whether or not it is required.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 13:15   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

It may be tempting to blow smoke up their bums with something like a picture of a welding rod wrapped in wire. However, if you don't want to have a future claim denied I'd resist. What are you going to do when they want pics of the 'system' after the strike? Most insurance companies are in it to make money, and they can't do that if they pay out claims they don't HAVE to. They will use ANY excuse to deny you, possibly even cancel your policy too.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 14:15   #11

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

If you get a lightening strike, that 6 gauge wire is going to disappear in a flash. If you have been told that a good lightening system will help by shunting the several thousands of available amps to gound don't expect good results. The dissapator system might work but, only might. Why would you try to attract lightening to your boat.
Old 12-05-2022, 14:25   #12

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

You asked for proper advice and you got very little if any, at best of little real value at all beyond a statement of purpose, and at worst, stupidity and dangerous advice.

If your insurance wanting to make you and your family and crew safer at sea it is the only reason for fitting it, you are not a skipper with whom I would venture offshore.

I would not put to sea without lightning protection, and having it will not "Attract lightning to your boat" Quite the reverse--and if you DO get a strike it will lessen the damage you will sustain.

I used to work on transmission lines and towers--and without lightning protection, the damage each year to outside plant and equipment would have been unaffordable.

Just ensure your lightning protection earth system on the vessel is a standalone system separate from any other radio equipment.

Do your OWN research. Lightning and the transient atmospheric conditions during electrical storms are a fascinating read.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 14:47   #13

I had a similar request from my insurers a few years ago, when numerous owners in the Med. were claiming for lightning strike as an economic way of paying for a new suite of electronics. I politely requested details of their approved system suitable for my boat and never heard back. I think most insurers have now realised that better claims investigation is the sensible way to go.
MoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 14:54   #14
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYNAEM View Post
I'm new to both the forum and cruising. I'm purchasing a FP Belize 43 and as part of getting insurance the provider is requiring a lightning rod for them to cover a lightning strike. My research seems to indicate that these are, at best less effective, and at worst a waste of money. Yet I'm concerned I'll be denied a claim if we get hit.

Lastly this company appears to be the only one we can find at a price that is even worth considering.

The odd thing is that they don't appear to have a standard for what type of lightning rod is expected. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If you want to play in the game you have to follow the rules.

The company did not stipulate what kind or make of lightning rod you must have...so don't ask. Since you have had a problem getting insurance I would install the cheapest one you can find, keep the receipt, take photos after the install, and go sailing without worry.

The odds of a lightning strike are pretty slim anyway although sailboats do have a greater percentage of them, certain areas are more prone than others (FL is 33%), and spring and early summer the most active times (BoatUS). Overall odds are about 1:1,000.

"Lightning is unpredictable. While you can mitigate the damage from a lightning strike, there is nothing you can do to prevent one." --BoatUS
Old 12-05-2022, 14:57   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
If you get a lightening strike, that 6 gauge wire is going to disappear in a flash. If you have been told that a good lightening system will help by shunting the several thousands of available amps to gound don't expect good results. The dissapator system might work but, only might. Why would you try to attract lightening to your boat.
The voltage of strike is very high. The current can on some occasions also be very high, but it is a very brief pulse.

Wire sizing is based on overheating and melting the insulation. The very brief pulse of a lightning strike is quite different to the normal current capacity of the wiring.

The very high voltage creates some specific requirements such as minimal bends, but a relatively small gauge wire can carry these brief pulses.

Personally, I would install a larger gauge than 6awg for lightning protection, but the wire does not need to be as large as commonly imagined.

Grounding the mast does not attract lightning. It slightly reduces the chance of a strike due to the reduction of the static charge at the mast head. In practice this beneficial effect is minimal. The important aspect is to reduce the chance of catastrophic damage which is achieved by providing a low damage path to ground.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, lightning