Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 12:15   #1

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'
I bought a boat! 77 Peterson 34' Kevlar

It's done!

I bought a 1977 Kevlar Hull 34' Peterson Sloop (In San Francisco!! ROFL). It has an AMAZING Bal./Disp of 47.21%!! Step on the toe rail, and she barely moves!

The Bad:

I found a few issues in my own hunt for problems. Such as leaky hatches and windows (both have replacements on board including opening ports the boats never had before). Those same windows are to etched and scratched to see out of anyway. The hull liner in the pilot berth, Head and one race berth is gone. The companionway stairs are home made, small and low end (), Missing head liner over the Kitchen and Chart table. The salt water foot pump in the galley was leaky and removed to replace the screw and gasket. It really needs deck paint (Gray?? Awlgrip included). It needs a good cleaning for light mold inside.

New crate Kaboda and tranny, New double spreader mast, mast step, and seriously over sized rigging with LOTS of turnbuckle left. 11 sails in the total inventory (yet only one main) (2 spinnies). The chain plates are enormous (and also new). The Keel bolts and small support plates are brand new and glossy stainless! He said the previous owner removed the Keel, glassed the top, reattached it and re-glassed the joint, after loosing the keel of his previous boat. Brand new Gimbled stove is unused.

I bought it Saturday after hunting for flaws and qualities. This guy built a great safe boat to cruise in, but never did much esthetically. He bought a lot of the stuff to do it! Just never did those tasks. Almost everything I looked at looked new, unless it was inside and unnecessary to sail and survive.

Now I'm swimming with anticipation!! Whoo Hooo!!
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:21   #2

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Re: I bought a boat! 77 Peterson 34' Kevlar

Congrats....pics???
Old 10-02-2014, 12:24   #3

I think I have to wait until I post a few more times, but I have a couple yes. ;-)

edit: I also slept on it both Friday night and Saturday night. Stormy and rainy,.. Felt great! (I miss my boat! lol)
Old 10-02-2014, 12:35   #4

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"

Congrats, another WAFI takes the plunge!!!
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:42   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Good luck, Vance. It sounds like you have a major project on your hands.

Don't assume crappy portlights and hatches have to be replaced. If the glazing is actually crazed--that's structural and needs replacing. But if it is simply fogged and scratched, buy a 3-step restoration kit, i.e. Nexus 1,2,3 polishes, and a good polishing/compounding wheel (Makita) and it can perform minor miracles.

If they don't leak...might want to put each project on a 3x5 card and move that one to the back of the pile, way behind the painting and engine installation and mast.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:42   #6

Can't totally deny that!

Good thing I have many months to learn the more "sea related" stuff before I even get there. I'm going to hunt down (if I can) a live aboard slip in the bay and/or tributaries. The bay seams like a great area to get to know my new lady. I just wish the Live aboard rules weren't so rough.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:44   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations! Sounds like a great find even though there are a few issues. If it is close to being sail ready that's wonderful.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Good luck, Vance. It sounds like you have a major project on your hands.

Don't assume crappy portlights and hatches have to be replaced. If the glazing is actually crazed--that's structural and needs replacing. But if it is simply fogged and scratched, buy a 3-step restoration kit, i.e. Nexus 1,2,3 polishes, and a good polishing/compounding wheel (Makita) and it can perform minor miracles.

If they don't leak...might want to put each project on a 3x5 card and move that one to the back of the pile, way behind the painting and engine installation and mast.
What??

The windows are a minor issue with OLD dry sealant. I've been working with small fiberglass boats for years (no windows). These are simply ancient lexan. If you go read again, you'll see I said it has a new mast, rigging, chainplates... All new! I need to paint, fill a hole where a gauge used to be in the cockpit replace a few liners inside.. No major work. lots of little stuff.
Old 10-02-2014, 14:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Congratulations! Sounds like a great find even though there are a few issues. If it is close to being sail ready that's wonderful.
Thanks Skiprjohn.

Here are pics from last week.

As I said a little while ago, I have a lot of fiberglass experience so the hole should be easy enough to fix in a few hours. The lexan windows are just screwed onto the outside with a bead of sealant behind them (like so many boats). The new lexan has a slight tint, and the clear tinted companionway slide in is the same stuff. The two hatches technically are fine but the seals are gone,(you can see right through the opening gaps. Plus only the rear is clear, the front one is white solid. All the new hatches are all Lewmar hatches. They are far nicer and should slip right into the existing hatch holes. Paint is going to take a while I'd guess. A lot to mask after a good fresh scrubbing. (I really don't like the idea of a gray deck though).

I'll build the stairs so my dog can get in and out easily, plus I think a good design could also be a solid chair as you cook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My boat.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	75733   Click image for larger version

Name:	My_boat2.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	75736  

Old 10-02-2014, 15:04   #10

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

congrats, looking good.
Old 10-02-2014, 16:16   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Vance-
"you'll see I said it has a new mast,..."
Yes, right AFTER you said it has a new CRATE engine, so one might easily read what you wrote as saying it has all that new stuff--but there's nothing to indicate any of it was installed. Just that at least one main piece, the engine, is still in the crate.
Granted, a "crate" engine can mean that it was bought as a complete factory engine, or that it is an engine still in the crate bought that way. But among mechanics even a 'crate' engine means nothing, you buy a "bare block" or a complete engine that way, in the crate. So...If all that stuff was already replaced and installed, congrats.

The newfangled way to install flat glazing against a flat surface would be to use 3M VHB tape. No holes needed, no glues needed, good enough to hold in skyscraper windows. Although the new sealants are supposed to work just as well, and even West has the right 3M product for lexan. (Oddly enough, cheaper than West's own brand of the same goo!)

If that's not installed yet, try to find out what it is "for sure" before you install it. "Lexan" is the wrong material, the generic stuff is too soft. There are special grades for exterior glazing that are scratch-resistant and UV resistant, and as long as they are going to become a solid piece of the boat...Cheap enough to make sure you've got the right stuff.

Kevlar from 1977...wow, that's a rare bird!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 16:41   #12

THAT I would say is great advice! Thank you hellosailor.

I will look into that for sure. My guess is the guy got the right "lexan" if that is what it was even called (he may have just called it that generically). You're right though, I'd hate to install it and have it go bad. That could be a huge headache.

Yes the engine IS installed, as is everything to make it sail better. He knew about and obviously planned to do the esthetic stuff (buying the parts and all). He just didn't get to it if it didn't improve how it sailed. That and the head and plumbing are new (My guess is his girlfriend forced that issue). lol

I walked all over that boat I couldn't find anything wrong in the deck other then one screw in the companionway hatch cover was seeping through a tiny drip to the inner (exposed) ceiling just below, but thats a very easy fix as well.

The engine runs nice, starts right up. I did it each morning just to see if it would blow any black (it didn't). I put my hand on it the first night to see if it was even warm (it wasn't).

I'm sure I'll find more once I spend some real time onboard.

I rarely pay anyone to do anything for me. However,... I'll be needing someone to climb my mast and stick a new weather vane up there. (I ain't doing that!! lol)

Tags
peterson