Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How much is enough (before you feel you can stop working and retire and go sailing)?
$1000 to $100,000 73 21.92%
$100,000 to $500,000 81 24.32%
$500,000 to $1,000,000 76 22.82%
$1,000,000 to $100,000,000,000,000,000s 103 30.93%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2007, 06:16   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A couple of appropriate witticisms, attributed to the apocryphal Doug Larson:

“What some people mistake for the high cost of living, is really the cost of high living.”

“Utility is when you have one telephone, luxury is when you have two, opulence is when you have three ~ and paradise is when you have none.”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 06:19   #122

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
“Utility is when you have one telephone, luxury is when you have two, opulence is when you have three ~ and paradise is when you have none.”
Amen to that Gord. While I appreciate the utility of the phone, I hate the things - they are so impersonal. Now we have a whole generation growing up completely unable to converse with one another. On top of that, they're possibly killing off the bees.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 06:31   #123

Boat: Lagoon 420
Are you suggesting the bees are spending time on the phone these days and neglecting their pollen collecting?
Old 27-05-2007, 10:01   #124

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
different take?

I've just finished reading (with great interest) all of the posts in this thread...took a while. My synopsis ...depends. One thing I noticed was that there did not seem to be anyone saying, "I need 1 mil.+ and a 50'+ Hylas".

25, or so, years ago I bought a 20' Hurley with the idea that I would save up a few thousand $$ and take off cruising the Carib. While working as a waiter (and saving about $200/mo.---total saved-$400) I met a man (Bill)who had just retired at 65 y.o. He bought a beautiful Hinkley and was planning on "cuttin loose and cruising for the next 10 or 20 years." One day, he was down at the boat installing some electronics when he died of a heart attack.

The next day, I quit my job, closed my bank account, untied my dock lines and headed out to Galveston Bay. I turned right at the shipping lane and didn't stop until I reached Isla Mujeres. The $400 I had saved lasted two months. I spent three years cruising the Texas and Mexico coastlines, stopping to work for a few weeks to replenish the kitty every couple of months. It was three of the best years of my young life.

Eventually, I decided to return to land, finish school and work towards saving for that bigger boat and a kitty that would support me for as long as I wanted/needed it to. Distractions, setbacks, successes, tragedies and the like have come and gone and I'm still working on that dream. I am now 2 people + 5 cats.

Given the current state of affairs in the world, we've decided to revise our plan (tick tock). We will work for another year or so, upgrade from our current 27' boat to a slightly bigger boat and "take off". How much $$ will we have?

We will have what we have; more than $400, but less than an amount that will support us indefinitely. We will work some as we go (my wife and I are both doctors of Oriental medicine...acupuncture, massage, etc.), treating our fellow cruisers and looking for opportunities to increase our fortunes both spiritually and materially. Where we go and how far we get is up to chance and fate. We seek not just leisure, but adventure and opportunity. Every individual dreaming of a cruising life must decide for themselves how much is enough. To paraphrase a fellow posters motto..."I have what I have, and that's all that I have."

Will what we have be enough? Don't know, but one thing's for sure; I don't want to end up like Bill.

One more thing. If you hear us on the local radio net offering our services, be sure to give us a call... we may need the money!!

MM
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 11:18   #125

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu, 53 feet - DoodleBug
No right way

The threads “How Much is Enough” and “Annual live-aboard budget” show a remarkably flat “spectrum” of capital assets and income, thereby demonstrating that there is no “correct” way to enjoy sailing. I have long maintained that cruising sailors fall into three categories:

Category 1: Young and broke; just out of college; perhaps wanting an adventure before family and career intrudes. For these folks, anything that floats will do. They will work for a while when they run out of money, paint a fence, clean your hull, baby-sit, whatever it takes.

Category 2: Young professionals and others on a sabbatical; Occasionally with children; on a strict budget; will go back to work when the money runs out. The boat may be new or used and their budget may require selling it as soon as they finish their cruise.

Category 3: Retirees. They fall into the sub-categories of those who sold everything and will stay in foreign parts for hurricane / cyclone season and those who maintain a home as well as a yacht. The latter will probably store their vessel at a marina and fly home for the off-season.

When you read the previous contributors to this discussion, you can usually attach one of these categories.

What all these people have in common is that they are all “out there” doing the same thing, facing the same risks, seeing the same sunsets, enjoying the same cultural experiences. There is no criticism attached to sailing a 25 footer without an engine, nor is it a crime to sail a 50 plus footer. We all seek adventure and use whatever resources we have.
Ed
Ed Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 16:51   #126

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105
Are you suggesting the bees are spending time on the phone these days and neglecting their pollen collecting?
No, just among the current scares such as bird flu and global warming, there is a concern in North America with Colony Collapse Disorder, where whole colonies of bees are disappearing. One theory (as yet unproven) has to do with a single study that showed that bees avoided their hive when a cell phone was placed near it. Just one more reason to hate cellphones.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 12:38   #127

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Steele
The threads “How Much is Enough” and “Annual live-aboard budget” show a remarkably flat “spectrum” of capital assets and income, thereby demonstrating that there is no “correct” way to enjoy sailing. I have long maintained that cruising sailors fall into three categories:

Category 1: Young and broke; just out of college; perhaps wanting an adventure before family and career intrudes. For these folks, anything that floats will do. They will work for a while when they run out of money, paint a fence, clean your hull, baby-sit, whatever it takes.

Category 2: Young professionals and others on a sabbatical; Occasionally with children; on a strict budget; will go back to work when the money runs out. The boat may be new or used and their budget may require selling it as soon as they finish their cruise.

Category 3: Retirees. They fall into the sub-categories of those who sold everything and will stay in foreign parts for hurricane / cyclone season and those who maintain a home as well as a yacht. The latter will probably store their vessel at a marina and fly home for the off-season.

When you read the previous contributors to this discussion, you can usually attach one of these categories.

What all these people have in common is that they are all “out there” doing the same thing, facing the same risks, seeing the same sunsets, enjoying the same cultural experiences. There is no criticism attached to sailing a 25 footer without an engine, nor is it a crime to sail a 50 plus footer. We all seek adventure and use whatever resources we have.
Ed
You are so right Ed. One of the great things I love about the cruising community is the, mostly, lack of elitism. One of the first notable experiences I had was in Galveston Bay as I was headed for Mexico. I was anchored in my 20' Hurley when an older couple (Jim and Francine, I believe) pulled in in a Swan and anchored not too far away. An hour or so later, I was hailed by the man in a dinghy that probably cost as much as my Hurley. "Man, that's a really nice boat", he enthused. And then proceeded to ask me all sorts of questions about my boat. "Boy howdy; I really like your boat!! Come on over for dinner and we can talk some more!!" So I did.
The whole time I was on their boat, Jim just kept talking about how much he loved my little boat (it was a nice little vessel) and then asked me if I would trade straight across. I said thanks but the Swan might be a bit much for me to handle by myself. This act of kindness has always remained with me and I learned a valuable lesson about cruisers. It's not the boat or the bank account; it's the love for what we are doing.

Hope to see you out there somewhere,

MM
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:19   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
It costs a lot to be a good husband - to whit:

A few of us are sitting around in the locker room of a golf club. A cell phone on a bench rings and I engage the hands-free speaker-function and answer it. Everyone else in the room stops to listen.

Gord: "Hello"
WOMAN: "Honey, it's me. Are you at the club?"
Gord: "Yes."
WOMAN: "I'm at the mall now and found this beautiful leather coat. It's only $1,000. Is it OK if I buy it?"
Gord: "Sure, go ahead if you like it that much."
WOMAN: "I also stopped by the Mercedes dealership and saw the new 2007 models. I saw one I really liked."
Gord: "How much?"
WOMAN: "$65,000."
Gord: "OK, but for that price I want it with all the options."
WOMAN: "Great! Oh, and one more thing. The house we wanted last year is back on the market. They're asking $950,000."
Gord: "Well, then go ahead and give them an offer, but just offer $900,000."
WOMAN: "OK. I'll see you later! I love you!"
Gord: "Bye, I love you, too.", and hang up.

After a moment of astonished silence, I ask: "Anyone know whose phone this is?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:43   #129

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Good one Gord
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 14:38   #130
cruiser

Costs more the first three years when you are still thinking like a consumer and buying toys. Then it gets much cheaper. or you could forgo the toys for more cruising time , if you can resist the temptations.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 15:07   #131

Boat: Lotus 10.6
We are now living on a budget so we can cruise more often. My wife has chucked in her CEO job, handed back the company car, cards, laptop, phone and expense account. No pay being banked each Thursday into our account. She was getting close to 1k per working day so it takes some getting used to. We have been "unwaged" for 3 weeks now and so far are surprised on how little you can live on. We never used to think twice if we wanted to buy something. It was usually not really needed and a lot of waste. Doing a lot more walking with the dog and not throwing food out all the time now. (we used to go out for meals and the food in the fridge would expire!).
Just wish it was Summer as it is too cold here to cruise without a heater. Should warm up in 3 months....
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 22:09   #132

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
We are now living on a budget so we can cruise more often. My wife has chucked in her CEO job, handed back the company car, cards, laptop, phone and expense account. No pay being banked each Thursday into our account. She was getting close to 1k per working day so it takes some getting used to. We have been "unwaged" for 3 weeks now and so far are surprised on how little you can live on. We never used to think twice if we wanted to buy something. It was usually not really needed and a lot of waste. Doing a lot more walking with the dog and not throwing food out all the time now. (we used to go out for meals and the food in the fridge would expire!).
Just wish it was Summer as it is too cold here to cruise without a heater. Should warm up in 3 months....
A grand a day !!!! even in NZ money that's a nice earn.

Feel like overthrowing a few countries, or buying an Island nation????

Dave
Old 25-06-2007, 22:45   #133

Quote:
even in NZ money that "WAS" a nice earn
She doesn't earn a dime now Dave. Was means it is now all over and we are watching our pennys.

Four weeks up now. Had to fill the gas tank in the car....ouch. Haven't had to do that for years.

But hey.....life is good and it will be Spring soon.
Old 26-06-2007, 00:11   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Darryl, get over it. ;-)
Your still earning three times what we bring home together. :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 00:13   #135

Still hurts Alan. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr