Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 10:07   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: How bad does this engine look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Figure $10,000 to $15,000 to replace the diesel & deduct that from the price. Those are nice boats & worth bringing back if you can get it right.
this is high end guesstimation.
d3pending on engine could be as low as 2500.00 usd. i found westerbeke 107 in mex for 400 usd. keep eyes open.
is fun to watch the high end rationale but that does not fit everyone.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:20   #32

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
this is high end guesstimation.
d3pending on engine could be as low as 2500.00 usd. i found westerbeke 107 in mex for 400 usd. keep eyes open.
is fun to watch the high end rationale but that does not fit everyone.
Absolutely right. 10 to 15 K would reflect a repower with a new Beta or Yanmar. Plus you may need a new shaft, prop, coupling, cutlass bearing, etc.. Closer to 15 if you pay to have it done. The 30 hp Beta or Yanmar are both priced at about $9,000.

If you're negotiating I'd run with the higher number. You can find used motors but it's not that easy & then you're buying someone else's problem.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:24   #33

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Lets assume that internally the engine is ok. What would it take to get it usable once again? For starters, new pulleys, new water pump">raw water pump or at minimum a rebuild. Probably starter is frozen or about shot anyway from the salt - so new starter. New all other hoses. A complete removal of all externally boted on parts.. If for no other reason but to break loose the bolts/nuts and clean-up and rebed with proper grease. Probably at least one will ring off. Better now than before getting on the water. Then either sand or soda or dry ice blast the engine before ospho, prime and paint.

If doing all that sounds like something you can tackle then might be worth it if some deduction is made in the selling price. Else you might be better off with a repower with either a new or reman engine. Labor on having a mechanic clean this unit up and do all that I listed above would be cost prohibitive IMO.

I don't think this a a "clean it up and hit the button after a little paint" job.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:49   #34

The good news is that this is a boat that's worth repowering. Just think how pretty a brand new bright red Beta would look in her.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:55   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

everyone always spews Buy new buy new and REPOWER!!!
BALDERDASH to repower.
rebuild what you have and stay happy. is less pricy and there is a brand new engine for less than repower with a noncompatible machine thus causing all the rest to require replacement.
come on kids. that is so very UNNECESSARY.
if you love the boat enough to take it on, then you should gave a handle on the project.
btdt.
twice.
one repower one rebuild. go for the rebuild if given a choice.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:00   #36

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Replace with new or repower you never get your money out of it. If the rest of the boat is in the same condition as the engine run away. Those are called money pits.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:01   #37

It's real easy to get a $10K boat for $75K. This might be one of those.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:18   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeapt View Post
I am looking at this 33' Cape Dory 1987 $29,000

As I looked through the pictures i came across the picture of the diesel. The description said that it was just refurbished, idk if this is the most recent picture since then. To me this looks horrible but what do i know? I contacted the seller for more information, so will update as i know more

I would suggest a good light and an inspection mirror, to get an idea if the oil pan is going to rust out. The upper side does not look great the pan could look worse and removing the engine would be required.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:24   #39

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Ya know adeapt, I'd want to run the engine (or try) before counting it out depending on what shape the rest of the boat's in. Someone correctly pointed out that there was a water hose just replaced.. So what if the guy or whomever that replaced the hose didn't wash the engine down afterwards. You did say her husband had died. Also, how many boats moored out for five years without an owner have you seen that are ready to rock and roll?? I remember how my boat looked after my wife and I had to take a sabbatical from sailing, become dirt dwellers again and care for an aging parent. Took us two months to get things right, and I had a week and a half down in the engine room which included painting the entire engine. It was in a salt environment for a year with no love. I'm just saying..
I have to agree, the only way to really tell is clean it up a bit and try to start it.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:29   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Nice helpful suggestion, Cadence. He should also think about how to get the engine out of there, some boats it's lots harder than others.

Ann
Old 08-12-2016, 11:38   #41

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Nice helpful suggestion, Cadence. He should also think about how to get the engine out of there, some boats it's lots harder than others.

Ann
Ann, if the engine needs to come out, I hope he passes unless it is a straight lift out.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:54   #42

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I think you know the answer...it looks like crap!
For that kind of money you can do better. A lot better.

For older boats, you are buying an engine, which comes wrapped in a boat.
Allocate $15000 and 3 months to replace that thing.
The engine condition could also be an indicator of the condition of everything else.
I would pass.

Here is my 1985 Volvo Penta (pic attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 001.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	137696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 012.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	137697  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:09   #43

Ham, fresh water hose for the raw water intake? Really????????
No valve never mind a seacock.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:30   #44

Boat: Intrepid 9 meter, 29.5 feet

If the boat sank, it is likely salt water got into the engine by way of the air intake. If so, it is very unlikely it will turn over. So one of the first tests you should make is can you turn the engine through two complete revolutions. You might try putting a suitable socket wrench on the crankshaft pulley (the bottom one). If it turns over, change the oil before you go any further.
Old Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:36   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
everyone always spews Buy new buy new and REPOWER!!!
BALDERDASH to repower.
rebuild what you have and stay happy. is less pricy and there is a brand new engine for less than repower with a noncompatible machine thus causing all the rest to require replacement.
come on kids. that is so very UNNECESSARY.
if you love the boat enough to take it on, then you should gave a handle on the project.
btdt.
twice.
one repower one rebuild. go for the rebuild if given a choice.
That's one opinion but it's not quite that simple. A friend of mine who also has a Scout 30 decided to have his Volvo 2003T rebuilt after it blew up. Although he had what he thought was a reasonable estimate it ended up costing him close to $11,000. He could have replaced it with a Beta for about the same money. While it's true that it looks & runs like a new motor in reality it is a rebuilt 30 year old motor. He would have gotten a better return if he had repowered with a new motor.

While I will agree that one does not get a dollar for dollar return when repowering I'm not sure that's all that matters unless you're in the business of flipping boats for a profit. If a rebuild costs $5,000 & a new motor costs $9,000 the net difference in price is not $4,000 because the repowered boat will be worth more than the boat with the 30 year old rebuilt motor. If the repowered boat is worth $2,000 more the additional cost of the new engine would have been $2,000. But for that $2,000 the owner gets to enjoy a boat with a new, quieter, more efficient & reliable motor with a warranty. Trust me, I'm as frugal as the next guy but when it comes to boats the cheapest route is not always the best way to go.

Tags
engine