Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2022, 19:41   #1

Boat: Fountain Pajot Helia 44
Have you used Howard S Reeder or ASAP Marine Documentation for the sale of a boat?

Looking for any info on Howard S. Reeder, Inc and ASAP Documentation & Registration Inc in southern Florida. Good, bad or ugly, please let me know your opinions if you bought or sold a boat using their services.
Thanks~
Claudine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:12   #2

Re: Have you used Howard S Reeder or ASAP Marine Documentation for the sale of a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudine View Post
Looking for any info on Howard S. Reeder, Inc and ASAP Documentation & Registration Inc in southern Florida. Good, bad or ugly, please let me know your opinions if you bought or sold a boat using their services.
Thanks~
I had a great experience with Kimberly at ASAP on a fairly complicated and time sensitive import job. She knows her stuff and the cost is ridiculously low for the expertise brought to the table. Highly recommended.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:14   #3

Re: Have you used Howard S Reeder or ASAP Marine Documentation for the sale of a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I had a great experience with Kimberly at ASAP on a fairly complicated and time sensitive import job. She knows her stuff and the cost is ridiculously low for the expertise brought to the table. Highly recommended.
Great response, thanks! Did you import a boat to the US? From where? I am just curious because if your circumstance is anything like what we are about to get into, I could really use your help with some additional information.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:42   #4

Boat: Admiral Executive 38’ Catamaran

I had a great experience with Kimberly at ASAP. She knows what she is doing and crossed all the t’s and dotted every eye. And seemed like she was smiling on the phone.
Act Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 14:00   #5

Quote:
Great response, thanks! Did you import a boat to the US? From where? I am just curious because if your circumstance is anything like what we are about to get into, I could really use your help with some additional information.
Yes, imported French boat from Martinique to the U.S. Happy to answer any questions you have!
Old 09-07-2022, 16:57   #6

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Another happy customer of ASAP (and Kimberly) just a few months past. Our deal wasn't an international purchase, it was a domestic (FL) private party sale, but both the seller and I were looking for a way to protect both our interests. ASAP acted as our escrow agent and handled all of the closing and documentation paperwork without a hitch. The seller and I split the fees and I'd happily use them again.
Old 09-07-2022, 17:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana Daz View Post
Another happy customer of ASAP (and Kimberly) just a few months past. Our deal wasn't an international purchase, it was a domestic (FL) private party sale, but both the seller and I were looking for a way to protect both our interests. ASAP acted as our escrow agent and handled all of the closing and documentation paperwork without a hitch. The seller and I split the fees and I'd happily use them again.
So good to know! I appreciate the info! The person I’ve been speaking with is Alicyn. We are buying from a different country, so my questions are more centered in the handling of the currency exchange with escrows and such because we won’t close on the desk for a few months…
Old 09-07-2022, 17:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Yes, imported French boat from Martinique to the U.S. Happy to answer any questions you have!
Awesome thanks! Right now my main speed bump has to do with the contract and escrow as related to currency exchange.

We agreed on boat price in Euros, and seller is from another country with different currency… so now we have 3 currencies to figure out. She has a lawyer from her country who’s offering to handle escrow in their currency and we would like ASAP to handle escrow in dollars. We feel like we’d be safer having all handled by a US company and in dollars because we aren’t familiar with laws in other countries. By the time we close, the currency exchange will differ… who knows by how much, so I’d rather already exchange money now just in case but then I can’t use ASAP’s escrow and I have no clue who to use.

How did they handle your transaction, what currency, was it a French contract or US contract, how and when was the deposit paid and then the closing final payment?

This is all enough to make my brain melt.
Old 09-07-2022, 21:36   #9
Marine Service Provider

A South African built boat of French flag should be allowed to be imported into the US duty free. Some US customs personnel either don't know this or ignore this international treaty provisions which Pres. Clinton renewed to 2025.

We did this ten years ago with a Robertson & Cain 47' Leopard sailing cat bought in Tahiti from the Moorings fleet. She was imported into the US at Honolulu.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 22:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
A South African built boat of French flag should be allowed to be imported into the US duty free. Some US customs personnel either don't know this or ignore this international treaty provisions which Pres. Clinton renewed to 2025.

We did this ten years ago with a Robertson & Cain 47' Leopard sailing cat bought in Tahiti from the Moorings fleet. She was imported into the US at Honolulu.
We are buying a French made boat with an Australian flag and bringing it to the US.
Old 10-07-2022, 16:17   #11

Quote:
Awesome thanks! Right now my main speed bump has to do with the contract and escrow as related to currency exchange.

We agreed on boat price in Euros, and seller is from another country with different currency… so now we have 3 currencies to figure out. She has a lawyer from her country who’s offering to handle escrow in their currency and we would like ASAP to handle escrow in dollars. We feel like we’d be safer having all handled by a US company and in dollars because we aren’t familiar with laws in other countries. By the time we close, the currency exchange will differ… who knows by how much, so I’d rather already exchange money now just in case but then I can’t use ASAP’s escrow and I have no clue who to use.

How did they handle your transaction, what currency, was it a French contract or US contract, how and when was the deposit paid and then the closing final payment?

This is all enough to make my brain melt.
I just used ASAP for the documentation switch, which is a challenge in itself because between when you deflag in France and get your CG documentation you're in a weird grey area. I used the sellers broker for escrow because they were reputable and only held the funds for less than a day, and I had visited them in person in Martinique. It was a French contract in EUR, so I converted to EUR using Interactive Brokers and wired funds directly in EUR. Your situation is indeed interesting. If the seller agrees I think using ASAP to escrow in USD makes the most sense. If they have currency risk concerns you can always over escrow. There is a recent thread, not sure if it's yours, on the best way to neutralize your currency risk which I highly recommend for anyone who isn't a professional currency trader. You don't necessarily need to convert to EUR now to protect against fluctuations, a futures contact can cover that.
As an aside, despite the extra effort I got an owners version never chartered boat of exactly the model I wanted that was in excellent condition at a good price and now 5 years later I am still glad I went that route. Good luck!

Tags
asa, boat, documentation, marine, men, sale