Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2019, 09:28   #16

Re: Halberg Rassy 38 v Wauquiez Hood 38 Mkii

Re: Bleemus's comment

If memory serves the HR has a synthetic deck core - not balsa. Means that if it is compromised you only have to dry it out as it doesn't rot (4 holes and 2 wet/dry vacuums according to the internet)! Still a PITA, but a mile better than the alternative.

To the original question - it's a hard one ... both are slow old boats, HR is quality and name, Hood is shoal draft and a better reefing system. I like the solid dodger and the center cockpit of the HR ... so that'd be my choice, all other things being equal! You can always go back to slab reefing when you replace the main!

I saw someone online glass in a swim platform on a HR38 ... looked pretty good. Added waterline too.

I'd get the HR!
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 09:58   #17

Do both boats use screws to install the teak decks? That would make a difference. Seems I remember the HR doesn't, but may depend on year?
Removing teak decks is a huge job. I did/had one done. Depends on how/where the decks are laid etc. I had to have the deck and cabin painted to cover all the former teak deck marks etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 10:41   #18

Boat: Looking...

Look at the Bristol 38.8. Same Hood design as the Waquiez Hood 38, easier access to the lovely teak interior, great build quality, vast majority do not have teak decks. Several on Yachtworld for good prices.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 10:48   #19

Thanks, unfortunately I'm in Europe and would be liable to a 25% import tax as well as having to pay for a CE survey and remedial changes to comply, it makes an import impossibly expensive.
Hugh Meagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 17:37   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

The Bristol 38.8, Little Harbor 38 and the Wauquiez 38 were all built on the same hull mold. If you are considering the Wauquiez Mark II you are getting a great boat. The Mark I is less well thought of due to the bridgedeck entrance. Since I own and live on a Mark II I can say the only downsides are . . .

V-drive transmission. The access to the shaft seal is a bit of a pain.

water pump">Raw water pump impeller access sucks but you get used to it.

Galley is a bit small. It was a few more years before builders really realized that galleys sell boats.

Other than than it is rock solid and built like the proverbial brick shithouse. I would sail it anywhere there wasn't ice.

Make sure to have a good look at the starboard bulkhead near the base of the mast. They are known to pool water there. I built an epoxy box with it's own pump to drain the rainwater that comes down the mast to keep it dry.

Make sure centerboard cable has been replaced recently and the centerboard trunk resealed recently by a pro.

Cheers,
Keth.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, hood