Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2009, 06:07   #286

Your going to need a secret language to go with your secret handshake, I suggest this:
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 07:19   #287

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Has anyone yet proposed that we, CFers, form a (secret) mutual-help society, in preparation for the coming cataclysm (whatever form it may take)?
We’ll need a recognition signal, and secret handshake.
Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Good idea Gord....I'll go for the secret handshake.
It'll be handy to know that these folks (having read this thread) will have extra stuff on their boat!
Hey, mebbe we can all meet up somewhere and create our own Colony.
Colony Carib
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 07:27   #288

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blongsea View Post
Where is the long term perspective? Gold has been doing the rounds for 5000 years! Lets have a look what happened to the blokes and sheilas that invested $100.00 ten years ago in various investments:

How would $100.00 go over ten years to today in these investment:

Gold $380.00 (Wooooh haah ha ha..)
Commodities $357.00
Crude oil $268.00
Australian shares $202.00
Treasuries $191.00
American shares ....(red ink here)......$90.00

(All according to Bloomberg Comsec)
Yup, gold's been kicking butt, but i wouldn't bet on Oil, there's been talk in OPEC of pegging it to the euro. If that happens, we're screwed (economically).
Gold decline to $1055-1060 then "North" bound again. if you got, it hold it. If you don't have it wait for the drop then buy. If your in commodities, short to 1060.
IMHO just my .02c
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 07:45   #289
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Yup, gold's been kicking butt, but i wouldn't bet on Oil, there's been talk in OPEC of pegging it to the euro. If that happens, we're screwed (economically).
Gold decline to $1055-1060 then "North" bound again. if you got, it hold it. If you don't have it wait for the drop then buy. If your in commodities, short to 1060.
IMHO just my .02c
Actually, if the OPECers manage to replace the dollar with a basket of currencies as the medium of exchange for oil, investing in oil will be a good bet if you're an American chained to the dollar. Why? Not because more oil will be consumed, but because - relative to the dollar - oil will be more valuable.

As Fishman suggests, if the dollar is no longer the only accepted currency for purchasing crude oil, the purchasing power of the dollar will decline - probably severely. If that happens, it will require more and more dollars to buy a given quantity of oil.

So, relative to oil, the dollar will lose value - just as it has against precious metals since 2001. And even though a worldwide economic downturn will stifle demand for oil, the cost of that oil in dollar terms will actually increase.

TaoJones
Old 30-12-2009, 13:26   #290
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
in the even tall --pardon my french - **** flying hell breaks loose--i will be on my boat with enough pots and pans and stuff ot distill the ocean for salt and water and catch fishies and flirt with any men who thought of this ahead of time lol.....on my boat is where i would most rather be in the event of the event lol.....and out of usa lol.....somewhere .... across the sea.........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:28   #291
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
I just found/refound this site which has a lot of info (or opinions) about what an economic collapse looks like as he went through the Argentine problems in 2001.

Right or wrong he is much in favor of PM's and has some interesting insights on what people really want. (Guns, booze, drugs, sex, cheap ways to make ones self feel better.)

Not sure how it relates to sailing, other than my question about portable wealth.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:29   #292

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I just found/refound this site which has a lot of info (or opinions) about what an economic collapse looks like as he went through the Argentine problems in 2001.

Right or wrong he is much in favor of PM's and has some interesting insights on what people really want. (Guns, booze, drugs, sex, cheap ways to make ones self feel better.)

Not sure how it relates to sailing, other than my question about portable wealth.
Link please....
Old 01-01-2010, 09:05   #293

Boat: Riviera 35
Sex sells, they say. So I will fill my boat with women.

Yeah, I could live with that...

Any volunteers?

I kinda fancy Patagonia. Underdeveloped, sparsely populated and very like Scotland they say.

Ah, but then there would be nobody to sell the sex to.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 14:50   #294
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Link please....
SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA

Sorry - brain dead.

Look on the left side and the past postings are organized by topic. I have read on a small portion of this stuff.
Old 01-01-2010, 15:50   #295

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
I'm amazed that nobody is looking at history!

When the world was in 'liquidation', the survivor was the guy with the biggest boat, as much livestock and fodder as he could carry, and a family he conned with dreams of the South Pacific, but ended up shovelling poop for a few months to stay alive.
But at the end they had their pick of real estate!
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:55   #296

There must have been other boats 8,000 years ago. I have visions of visiting the London Boatshow next week, to witness Island Packet's new 56 footer with pens for chickens, only to be upstaged by Sunseeker's latest menagerie boat, complete with Vulcan-Phalanx and 50-cal mounts.

I was contemplating a Sea-Sparrow mount, but it'd play havoc with the teak decks.

On a serious note though, the earlier posters comments about forming self-help groups has to be the way to go. There is strength in numbers. Now, if only we could all think of the same destination...
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
Old 02-01-2010, 13:39   #297

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightShadow View Post
On a serious note though, the earlier posters comments about forming self-help groups has to be the way to go. There is strength in numbers. Now, if only we could all think of the same destination...
Networks of simpatico folks, are the best defense for economic or currency collapse. On land, food, child care, safe places, and fix-it skills should be sought out. Afloat, the same skills would be of great value, even having youngsters about occasionally to keep us old fart young.

As to a single destination, perhaps one or more of the wealthier CF members can buy a cultivatable island or island group with great safe achorages. Someone mentioned earlier we should have a secret handshake. Sure, why knot? Maybe also, a secret vhf or ssb signal that would allow entrance to the CF haven. Something like:

Quote:
He prayeth well, who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast.
He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small
from Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner might work.
Old 02-01-2010, 15:19   #298

Can't we have something easier that I can remember? If it's gotta be poetry, how about something by Sir John Masefield... One member asks the first line, and the other member answers the second.

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely seas and skys,

I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry.
Old 02-01-2010, 16:51   #299

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 440
The least unlucky continent - TERRA AUSTRALIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
One rather overlooked aspect of "global meltdown" or "world disasters" is that they are not world-wide. .
- - So having a sailboat, ready and able, is a great plan. As others said recently, you can use Mother Natures free propulsion system - the winds - to get south away from the crazy folk.
- - It is much easier in a sailboat as all you need to do is head far enough south and away from 1st world countries and other over-crowded population centers and live quite nicely with fishing, a little garden in the jungle, and some wild jungle animals. A real Robinson Crusoe type life.
Yes, yes, YES! You got it right and the only missing word is TERRA AUSTRALIS, almost TERRA NULLIS because it is actually huge, but with a hot arid almost empty centre. Nobody cares, as this island-continent has got a almost endless uninterrupted coastline that spans three climate zones and five time-zones and YES, still relatively sparsely populated.
The vast majority being adoptable, capable as well as a bunch of nice intelligent and well-educated Christian civilised people. You can't go terribly wrong heading south towards Australia and maybe New Zealand. You probably find NZ totally empty by then as they (especially the indigenous population) have a habit of crossing over to Australia! Australia is already known as the Lucky Country, and in a total Global Meltdown it will be the least unlucky continent, trust me on this one...
Blongsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 19:42   #300
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Among the doomer/prepper types they talk about "intentional communities." That would be, loosely translated, places were a bunch of "preppers" get together and try to balance all the right skill sets to make sure they have what they need.

I always thought that cruisers were way ahead on this front. First of all, cruisers tend to be "handy" and self reliant. A surprisingly rare combination nowadays, from my observations.