Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What insurance do you carry for your boat ?
Fully insured 120 50.63%
Liability only 55 23.21%
Uninsured 62 26.16%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 16:13   #196
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Going Uninsured !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
If I put a sign on my boat saying "uninsured", does that mean people will stop anchoring right on top of me?

no but take down the cf burgee,then they wont use you as an anchor drag alarm lol
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 16:29   #197

Boat: 33ft sloop

I am fully insured for about 3o Euro per month for the EU waters. They handle my heath insurance too. So far I did not loose on them.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:01   #198

Never let an uninsured person aboard because when they go bonkers after walking in on you catching an innocent nap with their wife, they'll refuse to pay for the damage they cause to your boat.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:03   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Nonsense, loads of activities are uninsured. That does not make people irresponsible. Remember it's not called an "accident" for nothing
Carrying insurance against people who might have accidents is not just prudent but it's responsible. Accidents do happen and for now with insurance we'll be covered if and when that happens. The day the world evolves into Waterworld, we'll trade our insurance and lawyers in for some bigger guns.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:24   #200

Boat: Groupe Finot, Steel Sloop, 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
That's the OBVIOUS reason? *I* am looking to commit fraud because I have insurance?

Gee -- I've owned a boat five years. Why haven't I done it yet? What the heck is WRONG with me???

One could argue that it's the people who are NOT insured who are likely to commit fraud. One bad incident on their boat, and what percentage of them would be backpedaling, making up alternate scenarios for what happening, and generally doing everything they can think of to squirm out of their suddenly huge financial responsibilities?

I'd like to see some evidence that the biggest contributor to insurance cost is fraud. My company says it's because I live in Florida, and having moved here right after Florida was hit by four storms in one year, followed by Katrina and Wilma, I rather suspect they're right.

So did anyone report burying that boat? Anyone who knew and didn't report it ALSO committed fraud.
I guess no one can see my Sarcasm in that whole statement, unless they read the whole thing, and how did i commit fraud?...Am i suppose to call police and say "this guy I knows dad is committing fraud?" this was friend of friend...i don't even know his last name.and i was just a kid at the time, this was 20 some years ago..from what i read on here, most people have the "smarts" to comprehend sarcasm and a sense of humor..
Old 02-01-2012, 17:32   #201

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I think it was last week in Coconut Grove? FL. A megayacht caught fire mysteriously before dawn, four or five others were totalled out as the fire spread before the USCG could push one boat out to stop the spread down the docks. A million or two in liability wouldn't even begin to cover what that one is going to cost the guy who owns the boat that started it all. Of course if you have no assets to protect, no retirement fund to lose, no income to be seized, you don't need insurance.
If you think the guy or his insurance company is going to pay for all the damage that fire did, you need to read up on the limits of liability under maritime law.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:41   #202
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor240 View Post
I guess no one can see my Sarcasm in that whole statement, unless they read the whole thing, and how did i commit fraud?...Am i suppose to call police and say "this guy I knows dad is committing fraud?" this was friend of friend...i don't even know his last name.and i was just a kid at the time, this was 20 some years ago..from what i read on here, most people have the "smarts" to comprehend sarcasm and a sense of humor..

Sorry, I thought it was a true story, and if true, yes, you should have told where the boat was buried, or at least that it had happened. insurance companies have investigators to mop up such details.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:48   #203

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

On one of these sailing forums,
Some one mentioned that a few insurance company's were NOT paying up,

You pay your premium and your still not covered,
But out of pocket for your premiums,

Name and shame them,

If they dont or wont pay for an accident, They dont get the premiums in the first place,

Only deal with Reputable Insurance Companys,

Put up the names of Crap Insurance Companys who are just collecting premiums,

I was uninsured at first, (Only because I was in transit,)
And that was scary,
Trying to park a 34 foot Cat in a Marina full of Mega buck boats,
No experience on parking a boat this size,
Still learning what it does or does not do, Hahahahahahhahaha

How does it handle parking with the centre boards up and down,
How long does it take to stop. With and with out reverse gear,
How do I slide it in, so that it slides up to the dock with out whacking the dock.
Does it float sideways with the wind, and how much, Hahahahaha It does, A great deal,

This list is endless,

But, Your coming in for fuel. your almost lined up to turn into the fuel berth, ****, your motor stops, 10 knot sidewind, 3 knot current running towards the parked Mega Buck Cruisers, your heading straight for that 10 million dollar half boat, and you are going to hit two other boats as well.

If I drop the anchor, which I cant, as its on the bow, and I have to go up there, It will swing me around to hit those other 2 Mega buck yachts on the other side any way.

I can park it now, So dont worry about me, Its the other learners you have to worry about now, Hahahahahahaha

If any of the boats involved in an accident and they are all not insured, It means a loss of a few boats, and very broke or bankrupt boat owners,

Cheers,
Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 18:03   #204

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

From Wikipedia

Limitation of shipowner's liability
One of the unique aspects of maritime law is the ability of a shipowner to limit its liability to the value of a ship after a major accident. An example of the use of the Limitation Act is the sinking of the RMS Titanic in 1912. Even though the Titanic had never been to the United States, upon her sinking the owners rushed into the federal courts in New York to file a limitation of liability proceeding. The Limitation Act provides that if an accident happens due to a circumstance which is beyond the "privity and knowledge" of the ship's owners, the owners can limit their liability to the value of the ship after it sinks.
After the Titanic sank, the only portion of the ship remaining were the 14 lifeboats, which had a collective value of about $3,000, and the "pending freight," bringing the total to about $91,000. The cost of a first-class, parlor suite ticket was over $4,350. The owners of the Titanic were successful in showing that the sinking occurred without their privity and knowledge, and therefore, the families of the deceased passengers, as well as the surviving passengers who lost their personal belongings, were entitled to split the $91,000 value of the remaining lifeboats and pending freight.
Another example was when Transocean filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas in 2010 to limit its liability to just its interest in the Deepwater Horizon which it valued at $26,764,083. This was in the wake of billions of dollars liabilities resulting from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill that followed the sinking.[1]
The theory behind the Act was that a shipowner who properly equipped and crewed a ship shouldn't be liable for something that happens when the ship is out of his control. Modern ships are seldom out of the control of their shoreside owners, but the Act remains a viable protection to them.
The Limitation Act doesn't just apply to large ships. It can be used to insulate a motorboat owner from liability when he loans his boat to another who then has an accident. Even jet ski owners have been able to successfully utilize the Limitation Act to insulate themselves from liability.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:05   #205

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
But I would never, never, ever, ever, sue a Skipper for injuring myself on a boat. That is the ultimate rudeness.
Totally agree Ex-Calif. Thanks for posting this. Much appreciate the rational response.
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:20   #206

Boat: Groupe Finot, Steel Sloop, 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Sorry, I thought it was a true story, and if true, yes, you should have told where the boat was buried, or at least that it had happened. insurance companies have investigators to mop up such details.
From your rationing....your saying if I am sitting in a bar, and i hear a guy talking or mentioning insurance fraud, i should record or memorize or write down everything he says, then call all the local and national insurance and police agencies, and try and report the guy? Your right...that is the insurance companies job, and I state that the insurance companies do NOT investigate enough, they simply settle just cause they can, the whole system is screwed up and flawed, its corrupt and people take advantage of the system...its just sad..Can not wait to sell all my land baggage live on my boat, and NOT pay taxes so that my neighbor can live off unemployment for 99 weeks and take is UN-insured boat out...I do have insurance against un-insured boat that hit mine....Mosberg 500....
Old 03-01-2012, 02:39   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i think what zeehag is talking about is corperate greed,the new facism,
in an ideal system if everybody put in a dollar a week in the us you would have a wonderful health system for all,at a cost of $52 dollars a year.
My wife was just at one of those hospitals for food poisoning, here are the accommodation. there was a large room with 30 patients in it, it should be for 20 patients, plus the family members that made about 60 people in the hospital room. family is there because there is only 2 nurses, the floor might be good to sleep on but not for me, my wife was out in the hall way with about 20 other patients in beds and another 7 individuals sleeping next to the patients on the floor. that is socialized medicine, when i had my eye surgery it was a private hospital, And there are few hospitals with the accommodation and service that I had.

For me full coverage would depend on risk of what I am willing to lose and value of what I have. I would at least have liability insurance.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:54   #208
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
My wife was just at one of those hospitals for food poisoning, here are the accommodation. there was a large room with 30 patients in it, it should be for 20 patients, plus the family members that made about 60 people in the hospital room. family is there because there is only 2 nurses, the floor might be good to sleep on but not for me, my wife was out in the hall way with about 20 other patients in beds and another 7 individuals sleeping next to the patients on the floor. that is socialized medicine, when i had my eye surgery it was a private hospital, And there are few hospitals with the accommodation and service that I had.

For me full coverage would depend on risk of what I am willing to lose and value of what I have. I would at least have liability insurance.
welcome to the real world, fact;somalia has 4 doctors for every 100,000 people!!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:00   #209
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Going Uninsured !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

no but take down the cf burgee,then they wont use you as an anchor drag alarm lol
S'funny...... when I flew it on my last trip down from Ireland...
folks disappeared from the area... Marina's... Anchorages.... everywhere...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:19   #210
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
S'funny...... when I flew it on my last trip down from Ireland...
folks disappeared from the area... Marina's... Anchorages.... everywhere...
having met the crew on that trip,
it might have more to do with their lack of house training!......

eddy,obliviously peeing against the crowded macdonalds window was a good one though