Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What insurance do you carry for your boat ?
Fully insured 120 50.63%
Liability only 55 23.21%
Uninsured 62 26.16%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15   #151

Re: Going Uninsured !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
+1 on insurance is a scam--there are only a few marine insurance companies around, and they sit around every week having coffee together and deciding how to screw their clients.

What really PO's me is the shills for the insurance companies who say "you MUST have liability insurance" (no matter what the cost). If you are worried about uninsured boaters, then get uninsured boater insurance and stop whining. In 50 years of boating, I've been hit several times by boats which didn't even stop to leave a note, regardless of whether they had insurance or not.
What a boatload of tripe. Your comments are merely a shade whiter than snow. Painting insurance companies as the bad guys, leaves the ones that struck your boat(s) as the good guys. You can't have it both ways. What I think you're really PO'd about having to pay for somebody else's incompetency.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:20   #152
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The discussion of risk is a little off target IMO. You don't eliminate any event risk with insurance. You reduce financial exposure to the event risk.
Good post.

I've sailed uninsured but would prefer to have 3rd party liability. Coming from europe the very idea of entering a marina without insurance just doesn't happen. Even without the legal requirement I still wouldn't, far too many expensive shiney boats where just a few scratches will cost you very dear.

Further afield it's a different ball game, no marinas for starters and nowhere near enough data (ie none!) to put any figures on if insurance makes any sense.
Another point not mentioned, but I know from experience uninsured I am even more blimmin careful
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe
What really PO's me is the shills for the insurance companies who say "you MUST have liability insurance" (no matter what the cost). If you are worried about uninsured boaters, then get uninsured boater insurance and stop whining. In 50 years of boating, I've been hit several times by boats which didn't even stop to leave a note, regardless of whether they had insurance or not.
I already take the risk, self insure, for hit and run. It is an acceptable risk for me.

However we are talking about your liability for my boat if you catch fire at a dock.

I accept the risk of my failures, I begrudgingly accept the risk that there may be a hit and run - I actually had one on the mooring at my club and I had to affect the repairs myself.

What I should not have to accept is your faulty wiring burning my home to the ground with no remedy from you to make it right. My eventual boat is gonna be my only and prime residence and will be worth around $300k.

I will definitely become a profiler and if some sketchy looking liveaboard pulled up in a dock next to me I will be harrassing the marina to find out the insurance status asap, or move me.

I carry liability insurance if I damage you. It runs me about $20us a month. I have received a 10% cumulative discount for every year with no claim. That seems fair to me.

If your boat harms my boat and you have the cash to make it right, I am totally cool with that.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:33   #154
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Here's a sample form to start with.
thanks for that though our family law firm drew one up for us,so if they hurt themselves,they are liable to end up owing us money.............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:41   #155
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks for that though our family law firm drew one up for us,so if they hurt themselves,they are liable to end up owing us money.............

now, THAT is insurance worth having......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:53   #156

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I can't tell you what to do for the insurance, but I think a survey is a good idea .... but I don't know how you're going to get a good survey for $250. I'm jealous!
no storms, middle of winter, and I have a list to go through. He was the first number i tried. The norm is what $18 a foot (i got a 26ft), so roughly half price. I didnt call anyone else, guy gave me a good vibe, been doing surveys for forever, thought his price sounded very fair if i decide go that way.

Not paying $250 bucks (or so) to Boat US a year, unlimited tow and the liabilty insurance, for me, would be just stupid. One stupid , not my fault, but still my boat, thing goes wrong and I'm screwed. I dont own much, but i'd like to keep what i do.
i agree with whoever said" if you cant afford liability..."
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:12   #157
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Never had it never will. Insurance is a tax imposed on the masses by the mega rich. My last foray into construction really told the real story. WC wanted 40% of gross payroll. On top of that was required bonding , commercial vehicle policy (with no commercial vehicles) and liability. this was for a family business. Automatically over 50k annually for me an 2 boys to work legally. I carry no insurance at all! Been sailing 25+ years and havent been sued or found the need to sue anyone. Poor chumps saying lawsuits are the reason for high premiums. Its just plain greed. When you go into any major city, see those hi rises. Think lawyers own them, nope insurance companies. Look at the payroll structure. Its a money printing machine. seahunter I think Id feel nervous with my boat around yours. Ive seen that attitude before. its the people who think its all right to come in the marina with the tide running instead of waiting for ebb. Or running a breaking inlet instead of waiting offshore for favorable weather. A license and insurance doesnt make you a better sailor, just gives a false sense of confidence. We lose our freedom a little at a time by lobbyists passing law after law to benefit insurance companies. They then use the police force to enforce these profit seeking motives while our personal freedoms go down the tubes and our society turns more and more into a police state. So bow down and take it from behind. Pretty sure insurance will be mandatory anyways soon with attitudes like yours. Then we can all support some more billionaires.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:19   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OCCUPY CF!!!!,you saw it first here,citizen smith is alive and welll up the revolution,down with super yachts!!!!!*(they should anchor out side and stop inflating prices for the grotty yotti)
Old 02-01-2012, 11:34   #159

Boat: One-off 1904 Gaff-rig, 28' LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
You may not be able to get comprehensive, but if the boat isn't worth much, you don't need it. What you need is liability insurance, and you can get that.
Not always; it depends on where you intend to cruise. It is by no means a given that this is possible.
vcsmithuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:41   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Never had it never will. Insurance is a tax imposed on the masses by the mega rich. My last foray into construction really told the real story. WC wanted 40% of gross payroll. On top of that was required bonding , commercial vehicle policy (with no commercial vehicles) and liability. this was for a family business. Automatically over 50k annually for me an 2 boys to work legally. I carry no insurance at all! Been sailing 25+ years and havent been sued or found the need to sue anyone. Poor chumps saying lawsuits are the reason for high premiums. Its just plain greed. When you go into any major city, see those hi rises. Think lawyers own them, nope insurance companies. Look at the payroll structure. Its a money printing machine. seahunter I think Id feel nervous with my boat around yours. Ive seen that attitude before. its the people who think its all right to come in the marina with the tide running instead of waiting for ebb. Or running a breaking inlet instead of waiting offshore for favorable weather. A license and insurance doesnt make you a better sailor, just gives a false sense of confidence. We lose our freedom a little at a time by lobbyists passing law after law to benefit insurance companies. They then use the police force to enforce these profit seeking motives while our personal freedoms go down the tubes and our society turns more and more into a police state. So bow down and take it from behind. Pretty sure insurance will be mandatory anyways soon with attitudes like yours. Then we can all support some more billionaires.
So if the unmentionable happens and you cream a boat, you got the money to replace/repair it right?
No, i dont carry uninsured boaters, anyone hits me, they'd better have insurance or the ability to pay me, with cash and then that hand shake. If ya aint got either, we got issues. Your boat, damage and all will look real good. Especially if your nice boat, hits my 1970's, cheap, gets my family safely on the water, boat. God help if anyone harms my family, all bets are off then.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48   #161

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

I do believe all insurance (medical, life, auto, home, boat, etc) are rip-offs. Still, we carry full coverage insurance on our boat. Every marina and boat yard that we have used has required a copy of the policy face page and proof that the insurance was still active.

FWIW, IMHO every boat should carry liability coverage for a reasonable policy limit. When our boat was berthed in a marina in the BVI in spring 2006, there was an explosion nearby. Several boats caught fire. Floating embers from those boats dispersed throughout the marinas nearby and damaged several boats. We were lucky and our boat escaped damage; but floating embers from one of the burning boats caused several burned spots on the boat next to us. There were lots of insurance claims for all boats involved.

Another cruiser we knew in 2009 hit a reef when entering the pass to a relatively remote Pacific island. Their boat ended up on the reef. They escaped unharmed with the assistance of the local villagers. They were not allowed to leave the island until they paid $10,000 for damage to the reef and the cost of removing their ruined boat. They had let their insurance lapse just a few months prior to this accident. It cost them dearly before they were allowed to leave that country.

Think you don't need liability insurance?

Better think again. Those days are over. Every country considers environmental damage seriously today.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:49   #162
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
So if the unmentionable happens and you cream a boat, you got the money to replace/repair it right?
No, i dont carry uninsured boaters, anyone hits me, they'd better have insurance or the ability to pay me, with cash and then that hand shake. If ya aint got either, we got issues. Your boat, damage and all will look real good. Especially if your nice boat, hits my 1970's, cheap, gets my family safely on the water, boat. God help if anyone harms my family, all bets are off then.
in insurance speak it if far more liable to be you hitting him................looking at the statistics,and totalling the family lol
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
in insurance speak it if far more liable to be you hitting him................looking at the statistics,and totalling the family lol

What?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:57   #164
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
What?
sad but true..............this is why they have excess's for first time drivers like yourself lol
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58   #165
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
For those that don't have liability insurance - what will you really say to me if you 40klb boat loses power entering the marina and your bow sprit goes through the side of my coach roof and into my salon?
Ooops
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote