Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2018, 19:42   #1

Getting back on land frequently

I've wanted to do some liveaboard cruising for 20 years or more. We are both in our 30s, I have a portable job that pays sufficiently to make this happen on a moderate budget. We are leasing a home with a lease that expires soon, no kids... two dogs, which is one of the biggest sticking points but I gather it can be done. I think it's fair to say this is about as good as it's going to get.

I've done a lot of reading over the years but I feel like there's a pretty glaring hole in my knowledge that I just don't see discussed that much:

What are the options for getting back to land?

The two dogs I mentioned, realistically, are going to need to be walked frequently. The plan is to sail the coast so it's not as though we will be stuck in one city. Even still, I get the impression free docks are rare at best and come with some significant security concerns. I'll admit for a long time I envisioned something more like customer-parking for boats. I imagined businesses and restaurants gladly offering a dock for a few hours for a customer. I get the impression this is not really the case. And for better or worse I'm the kind of person who hates to pay for parking.

What I wouldn't want to do is be forced to pay $1, $3, or more dollars per foot (we are looking at a 48' model) to get groceries, walk the dog, or maybe get dinner. It occurs to me that I could probably drop everyone off with a tender and go back to the boat (or leave tender and boat both unattended) but this feels like I would either be a prisoner (or at the very least, held hostage for transient fees) or be worried about theft and/or people upset about where we came ashore. I don't have any problem hanging out on the hook when we aren't on land, it just never occurred to me that it might be difficult or costly to get to gain access to a city for a few hours.

The idea of having $40-$50 held over my head every time we wanted to get off the boat is frightening. I hope I'm missing something.
vreference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 02:07   #2

Re: Getting back on land frequently

I have never had an issue finding a place to land my dinghy for a couple of hours. Always security concerns of course ,a lock on both the motor and the boat with a large cable is the best I know how to do
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 08:08   #3

Boat: Pearson Coaster 30
Getting back on land frequently

I’ve been faced with a similar problem, I’m anchored near NYC and have had to make trips ashore for groceries and water among other things. I found a stretch of abandoned coast, I actually think it’s a state park, tow the dinghy ashore with the kayak and either hide them in some brush or lock them together in a position that is relatively secure. No motor for me to worry about, I just pack my paddles out with me and i have a hard time believing anyone is going to walk the boats 3 miles out to where they can get a vehicle to pick them up. My theory is I’m going to do what I have to as long as there aren’t signs prohibiting landing or until someone tells me to stop.

Lauren
edge0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 08:51   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

Sometimes you'll see an hourly or daily dinghy docking fee. In the FL keys for example, such a place might be $5-10 a day. Other places will let you dock your dinghy for a while if you eat at their restaurant or buy whatever service they provide. Other places have free public dinghy landings or docks to tie up at. Some places even have free temporary docking for the boat. And theres always the option to get creative with it like Lauren suggested.

On the US east coast, if you're outside the major cities or south Florida you'll have an easier time of it. It's not always going to be convenient, but that's par for the course for the lifestyle writ large.

I cruised the US east coast with a large dog while working a remote based job for a few years. I often found it more convenient to stay at a given place for a while and pay a monthly dockage rate,which is typically a lot cheaper than a transient nightly rate. Would come into a town, stay for a month or two, then move on.

Got very good at biking with my dog as a way to get him run. Bred as a squirrel dog, we often had very exhilarating bike rides as he darted after squirrels on the leash. Great sport actually.

Bottom line, your plan is workable. Just be prepared to be wet, uncomfortable and inconvenienced sometimes. Totally worth it.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 10:54   #5

Lauren. I did that many years ago while power boating and looking for a place to BBQ. I gather there's a bit of Park along the coast, especially the east coast. I was looking at satellite maps around VA and saw small islands designated as parks. As far as I know if it's a park, it's fair to land and generally be in that area.

...although it feels like a lot of parks have rip-rap along the waters edge. It's definitely not an inviting place to try and get out of a tender. ...I wonder if it's allowed.

laika, I suppose there's not really a better way than to arrive in an area and scout around or scour the internet? It sounds like it would be a little unusual for a city on the water to not at least have some reasonable options to dock a dinghy.
Old 20-09-2018, 12:28   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Scouting is difficult and the rules vary widely on landing at parks, etc., and actual rules and enforcement on the ground sometimes vary (in either direction) from the published laws.

I have been using these publications, which are available for portions of the Great Lakes and inland rivers:

https://scmaps.com/all-outdoors-atlases/

They are well worth the money if you're trying to find shoreline that is publicly owned and figure out boundaries and whether it's a park or game refuge or whatever. There are other similar publications out there also.

Dealing with riprap, you are better off anchoring the dinghy in waist-deep water, and walking in the rest of the way in wetboots or waders.

There are places where I've found free city docks, for day use only, that aren't charted or advertised, you have to look for them to find them.

Can also use public water accesses (boat ramps) in many places although rules on leaving a boat unattended can be a problem at some.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 09:14   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

What part of the world are you contemplating doing this? It makes a big difference on how you might approach it.
LACHLANC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 10:06   #8

Boat: Boatless

First can you find a home for the dogs while you cruise???

If not it will just be a hassle for the first few months and yes if you do not want to take a transient slip for a night or two it's back and forth in the dinghy. I don't personally worry about security so much.

I would wager that after 2-3 months of cruising you will be ready to settle down for awhile, either on the hook or more likely in a marina. Plan for the 500-700/month in advance and do not be shocked when the time comes. I would imagine this is the most common scenario for many.

If heading outside the states (I'm assuming that is where you are starting from) the dog issue becomes a much bigger hassle.

Good problems to have! Beats going to work every day!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 10:44   #9

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Lots of sailors seem able to deal with dogs aboard, at least in the US. I admire their resolve.

Just an anecdote. This May, we were in the Garrison Bight mooring field in Key West for a week of 15 to 25 knot easterlies. Gets pretty rough in the mooring field and it's a long (couple miles) run to the dinghy dock. There was a young couple on a small sailboat living aboard with two large dogs. They'd take the dogs to shore for potty often, but I think it was wearing them out. One morning I woke up to the girl yelling loud enough to hear over the wind because the dogs couldn't hold it long enough and let loose in the dinghy.

One the East Coast of the US, you're not going to see rates of $1/foot except in the off season or way off the beaten path. I'd say $2-$4/foot is the usual range along the ICW. $25-$50/night is more of a mooring price. Also, at 48', marinas often charge more per foot than a smaller boat. The cut-off is usually somewhere between 40'-50', depending on the marina. Additional charge for electricity.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 11:05   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

I wouldn't consider cruising with out "mans best friend" but you do have to train them to go on deck, sometimes my dogs don't get off the boat for a week at a time, if on a long passage or weather is bad. i get them off as often as I get off usually, but you can't be a slave to taking them to shore. I tried everything to train them, none of them worked for my stubborn Basset Hound. Vet told me to wait him out, I did and it has been fine ever since, easy to clean off with a bucket, in a storm I heave to and take him out on windward side he does his business and back in cockpit.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 12:39   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had a dog on my boat, and there is no way around it...its a lot of extra work. They need to do their "business" and stretch their legs, or they just won't be happy. I love dogs, but dogs and sailing just don't mix well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swim.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	177750  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 14:13   #12

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

We have cruised with dogs and without. From now until when we swallow the anchor, it will definitely be without.

We loved our pups but foredeck poop cleanup gets old really, really quick.

Old 21-09-2018, 22:55   #13

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

The other thing about dogs... they get sick and vomit also. They get diarrhea just like humans do. I had a German Shepherd. Best friend a man could ask for. When he got sick... oh my goodness. No dignity. I can’t imagine a 100 lb dog on a boat. I can’t even imagine getting him on and off a boat. You have no idea how much hair they shed. It will be everywhere. He could literally pee for minutes... and I’m not talking a little dribble stream.

The story about the dogs letting lose in the dingy. OMG I’m still chuckling 10 min later. What a lovely situation she faced.

BTW, Sea of Cortez would be a fabulous place for u to cruise.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 09:12   #14

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreference View Post
...What I wouldn't want to do is be forced to pay $1, $3, or more dollars per foot (we are looking at a 48' model)...
A 48 foot boat will have significant maintenance and running costs. Trying to go cheap on that sized vessel, and still keep her seaworthy and safe just wont work.
Old 22-09-2018, 20:44   #15

So to answer a few questions: We are looking to sail the east coast and proceed to Europe after a year or two. We are from the midwest so one place is as good as another out there so long as we can keep internet.

I think for everyone involved the dogs are not optional. An open transom has already ruled out the First 47.7 and that won't be the end of the sacrifices. They are two malamutes so we are pretty familiar with shedding. It seems to me that shedding in a smaller space means more hair, but a much smaller area to clean; I expect it might come out in the wash... so to speak.

We'd be doing the astro-turf deck thing. As far as getting sick, walks, and extra effort... Well, I just spent two hours carpet cleaning after both dogs had it coming out of both ends all morning. It happens. Other than some worries about it getting under the sole and onto stores and equipment, I don't know that I see it being significantly worse on a boat than it is in a house; it's not as though it can be ignored for long in the house.

As far as marinas go, if it turns out we want to stay in a marina then I'm afraid it will have been a failed venture. There's nothing appealing to me about staying in the same place. I'm definitely not against a sheltered anchorage, just not the same one for a month.

As far as doing it "on a budget" - I'm selectively frugal. We certainly aren't independently wealthy - which is where the budget comes in - but we are in a financial position that makes this pretty reasonable. If we can avoid a bunch of big ticket unplanned expenses, e.g., grounding/recovery or lost sails, we should be doing fine. It won't hurt to drop $1000/month in car expenses for one. For the most part I do my own work. We'll be sacrificing a probably unusual amount of storage tools including a TIG. But I'll admit I'm having a hard time planning for haul outs with the dogs. Right now the best I've come up with is the dogs going to visit parents and myself doing a lot of sanding alone.