Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 12:25   #76

Boat: Catalina 30' (1984)
Re: Geico vs Boat US Insurance

I realize the thread title is Geico v BoatUS, but others have chimed in with different companies, so here's my input.
Being military, I use USAA for all my insurance and banking. For boat insurance though, they re-directed us to Progressive. For our 1984 Catalina 30' which is used only in the Chesapeake Bay,our annual premium is around $1200. We just renewed last month, and our premium dropped around $10/month.
justakiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 13:07   #77

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by justakiss View Post
I realize the thread title is Geico v BoatUS, but others have chimed in with different companies, so here's my input.
Being military, I use USAA for all my insurance and banking. For boat insurance though, they re-directed us to Progressive. For our 1984 Catalina 30' which is used only in the Chesapeake Bay,our annual premium is around $1200. We just renewed last month, and our premium dropped around $10/month.
Hey Justakiss,

Geico is insuring our '92 Catalina 30 MKII for less than half that for GOM & Florida area, with towing... And we're first-time owners... Wondering if you have something way out of the norm for liability...
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 02:31   #78

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by justakiss View Post
And as long as you don't leave the States that's great. We go through USAA for everything except insurance because of that.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 13:26   #79

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

FYI-Just got my new BoatUS policy for 2017 - 2018 and it is GEICO now! And its 30% less then the past years.
Old 04-07-2017, 13:56   #80

Thoughts on current policy costs for boat in Mexico for a season in the Sea of Cortez?
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 14:22   #81

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

Boat US was great in the US, they processed claims quickly and fully (I never had a claim but many friends did after lighting strikes and severe thunderstorms). If you go overseas, then you will have to find another insurance policy as they, and many others, will not cover you outside the US. Or they will only cover you in the caribbean outside of hurricane season.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 15:43   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Tabby,

We use IMIS as our broker.

I would add to the list of negatives having a steel boat. I won't go into details but it seems having a steel boat is becoming something of an insurance problem regarding survey. I understand we are a small minority of your clientel but it might help having someone specialize in those matters. Avoid confusion.

Frankly I'm a bit concerned about the reasonable viability of steel hull insurance, should trends continue.

We are live aboard moving into the Carribean next season. So our insurance needs get interesting.

Looking forward to choosing our next policy through guys.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 15:42   #83

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I was just informed that USAA (who farms out to Progressive) won't insure wooden boats. Bummer. I did get a quote from Markel insurance for 200/yr for liability only. I have to have the boat surveyed to be eligible for full boat coverage....and another round for those keeping track of endless phone calls and forms to fill out...i hate this stuff.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 17:29   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
I was just informed that USAA (who farms out to Progressive) won't insure wooden boats.

USAA won’t insure larger boats, period. Or wouldn’t when I asked three years ago, just ski boats, smaller boats You tow behind your car etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance