Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2021, 22:05   #1

From Canada and want to buy a boat from an estate in Fiji...

Hi, after researching the boat of my dream, a Corbin MK2, for the last three years, I finally found her, but unfortunately the owner passed away in January and the boat is located in a marina in Fiji. I read a few tread about broker versus no broker and buying a boat from an estate here in the Cruising Forum. I am retiring next year and I never bought a large boat like this before in Canada, never mind over seas.

I am literally all stressed out these days, as I rally would like to buy her, as she is in very good shape from the pictures I saw, but my wife is telling me to be "rational" (as if it is possible with sailboat...) and wait and see if another one will come up here in Canada...

On top of it, to add insult to injury, I can't even going there to look at it right now, as the island is on lock down for foreigner. Anyone of you were in this predicament and find way to buy a boat without seeing it yourself? Any advice to assist me fulfilling my dream will be welcome. Thanks!
Corbin39dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: From Canada and want to buy a boat from an estate in Fiji...

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dreamer.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:40   #3

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

It would indeed be a risk to buy a boat sight-unseen in Fiji at the moment when you can’t even take delivery. I just looked on Yachtworld and there are two 39’s for sale, one in Ontario, Canada.
There is also a Corbin39 association. Corbin 39 Association – Corbin 39 owners, crew, and enthusiasts, but I assume you already know that.
Do some more searching on the web. Good luck, they look like very nice boats.
JR
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:52   #4

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

I’m available to fly to Fiji for work related issues .Let me know if you are seriously interested and I’ll check this boat out for you as it’s just a short hop from here to Figi.Cheers Geoff.
Jacana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:35   #5

Boat: Custom built Skookum 53' trawler

hire a really well recommended surveyor to go look at the boat before you make any offer.
MV Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:51   #6

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

You may also want to consider where you intend to sail the boat - in Fiji or in Canada, or both. Getting it back to Canada will not be inexpensive, even if you sail it yourself unless it is already set up for a bluewater ocean crossing. Hiring a delivery captain or shipping it are alternatives. Recent cost estimates to move a similarly sized boat from the South Pacific to Ensenada in Mexico using a yacht transport company are in the US$30K range.

But as others have noted, finding a trusted surveyor to inspect the boat would be essential - photos rarely tell a bad story.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:34   #7

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Listen to your wife.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 15:27   #8

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

We saw a Morgan for sale in the Bahamas at a great price due to a death. . Wife and I decided to make a vacation out of it. If we loved it we’d sail her home If not, we would have a nice vacation! We had a great adventure sailing back to the Chesapeake!
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 15:39   #9

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Keep in mind the boat may be in arrears if moored someplace, which you would need to pay if you bought it. If it has been in the water a long time, it may need a lot of repairs. Almost certainly a haul-out, cleaning and repaint. If people in Fiji discovered the owner passed away, they may have entered and stripped it.
I don't know Geoff (Jacana) from above, but that sounds like a good offer, if you feel he is honest, maybe he could discretely inspect it and report back with lots of pictures.
It sure would be great to start your vacation on a boat in Fiji.. that would be amazing.

Hopefully you already know you enjoy sailing and have some skills.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 15:57   #10

Where do you intend to use the vessel.

The distance from Toronto, Ontario to Fiji is:
7,689 miles / 12 375 km flying, By sea it is much further through the Panama Canal.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 18:51   #11

If you get down on your knees and beg for it, you will get it. (Find another Corbin39. They built 200 of them)
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 19:35   #12

I saw them all, but a few are from the first generation of Corbin Mk1 built before 1982. There are a few MK2 for sale as well with a wider cockpit but this one in Fiji is one of the last ever built in 1991 with an aft cabin and a center cockpit.
Old 03-05-2021, 19:39   #13

Your killing me! ��
Old 03-05-2021, 20:05   #14

Boat: Beneteau 50

Err. Normally this would be do-able, but the world is far from normal ATM. I briefly looked into buying a dream-boat in Fiji, but quickly realised it is all too hard - and I am in Australia. Even if all the stars somehow aligned and you bought it. Where would you go from there? NZ, Aus, and pretty much all of the Pacific nations are closed. Fiji is one of the few places making allowances for incoming cruisers.
That said, I ran into the Zatara people in Fremantle the last week and they somehow managed to get into Australia from Fiji - they are from the US. Maybe check out their YouTube channel to see if they mention how they pulled it off. I started to watch an episode that seemed to involve a lengthy "discussion" with Australian immigration at port of entry, but I fell asleep and when I woke up, they were in.
Or call one of the brokers in Fiji. The one I spoke to was very helpful, and knows the situation there very well. At least if you can get a broker involved, it will help you work out whether it is even possible, and exactly what your hurdles will be.
Old 03-05-2021, 21:14   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moana Bella View Post
Err. Normally this would be do-able, but the world is far from normal ATM. I briefly looked into buying a dream-boat in Fiji, but quickly realised it is all too hard - and I am in Australia. Even if all the stars somehow aligned and you bought it. Where would you go from there? NZ, Aus, and pretty much all of the Pacific nations are closed. Fiji is one of the few places making allowances for incoming cruisers.
That said, I ran into the Zatara people in Fremantle the last week and they somehow managed to get into Australia from Fiji - they are from the US. Maybe check out their YouTube channel to see if they mention how they pulled it off. I started to watch an episode that seemed to involve a lengthy "discussion" with Australian immigration at port of entry, but I fell asleep and when I woke up, they were in.
Or call one of the brokers in Fiji. The one I spoke to was very helpful, and knows the situation there very well. At least if you can get a broker involved, it will help you work out whether it is even possible, and exactly what your hurdles will be.
Thank you Moana Bella. It is really unfortunate, as she is just what I am looking for. My plan is to stay in Fiji for at least a year to make sure all the systems are good to go and that I am totally comfortable to sail her "in any conditions", minus hurricane hopefully. Just a "simple" change of plan, that's all! Also, since I am a diver, as part of my plan B now, I will be able to check off one item on my bucket list. I will certainly plan a passage for sure in direction of your neighborhood, to dive the great barrier reef in Australia. A little passage south east to New Zealand and up we go to the Polynesian Island to start my first year. This is why having an opportunity to get my dream boat in Fiji could be a blessing for me...

Tags
boat, Canada, Fiji