Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 04:26   #1

Fly and skiff?

I'm wondering how feasible it is to:

- fly somewhere warm,
- buy a cheap fiberglass skiff or rib,
- attach a new, quality motor,
- use this for >2 months,
- sleeping on the boat sometimes to save costs and in hostels in others
...and then sell both the boat and motor to a chandler at a (big?) loss at the end.

It sounds wasteful to do this every month. But if moving like this every 3 months perhaps it's not much cheaper than liveaboard costs. The difference is that after selling you have the freedom to try something else.

I did own a campervan a few years ago but I basically found it wasn't as free as I really wanted.

I got this idea chatting to a boat owner in Java. $1500 for the wooden boat (new). $500x2 for noisy outboards. I wonder how this compares to modern stuff.

I don't like motorboating and prefer sailing but could this be the least stress free way to bond with the ocean? I'm prepared to lose some hippy feel good if this is workable. I love to freedive, surf and fish. While I get to feed this thirsts land dwelling and travelling, it's not enough.

What are going to be the problems with moving frequently like this? What do you envision as being the hassle of this plan? - getting orientated with mooring, selling a nearly new engine, easier to dispose of the hull rather than wait to sell? Paperwork (examples?)? Temptation to bring equipment with you, such as a handheld radio. Limitations of a small boat. Buying new makes it a lot easier but does that push the price up too much. Anything else you can think of?
And also where? Small bays and estuaries is interesting for this size boat. Where are some places that don't quite suit this and some places which might. Places I'm familiar with to help me orientate what you are talking about and a scenario of use compared to charter: Hong Kong, Poole/Solent, Canary Islands, Buenos Aires

Do you have some phrases that I can search for?

Finally, I just managed to get a hirecar for a month in the canaries for $7/day as it's low season. If only the same thing was available for boats...
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 04:37   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Fly and skiff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post

- fly somewhere warm,
...and then sell both the boat and motor to a chandler at a (big?) loss at the end.
How about you buy an inflatable sea kayak and bring it with you everywhere
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 03:41   #3

Its feasible. I have a paddleboard inflatable in storage but never use it, preferring to travel light...
Hmm.... Could post it I suppose... 15kg maybe... Hmm...
Old 30-05-2015, 05:46   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Canaries: will be difficult to sell off a skiff. Relatively easy to sell an outboard. Just place it on second hand websites immediately when you buy it, not when you are going home.

Canaries are NOT the kind of area you want to visit/sail in a skiff (define: skiff, to me it is a 29er or 49er, etc.). Big seas, plenty of wind, relatively few anchorages. If you can hire a van cheaply, this will be the less expensive way. Or just fly in with a rucksack, then sleep in a bivy on the beaches or in the interior - you will not be bothered. Mind we are ISLANDS and ferries between the islands are not cheap. But if you select the right island, you will be able to spent a month in the semi tropics for EUR 200 or less (depending on your camping survival skills).

Have fun.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 06:14   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Barnikiel,
I think by skiff the op means a flat bottomed runabout like a Carolina skiff

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/j.html

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 07:39   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. Must be this sort of skiff. Then not really usable in Canary Islands, except for short trips along the protected shore of one island (unless one is willing to ferry the skiff to another island).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 07:46   #7
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Have you thought about the paperwork requirements? Some places are going to require registration and possibly insurance. Might be able to get around that if you take some kind of self or wind propelled boat with you.
Old 31-05-2015, 08:29   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post

- fly somewhere warm,

It sounds wasteful to do this every month. But if moving like this every 3 months perhaps it's not much cheaper than liveaboard costs. The difference is that after selling you have the freedom to try something else.

I did own a campervan a few years ago but I basically found it wasn't as free as I really wanted.

I got this idea chatting to a boat owner in Java. $1500 for the wooden boat (new). $500x2 for noisy outboards. I wonder how this compares to modern stuff.

I don't like motorboating and prefer sailing but could this be the least stress free way to bond with the ocean? I'm prepared to lose some hippy feel good if this is workable. I love to freedive, surf and fish. While I get to feed this thirsts land dwelling and travelling, it's not enough.

What are going to be the problems with moving frequently like this? What do you envision as being the hassle of this plan? - getting orientated with mooring, selling a nearly new engine, easier to dispose of the hull rather than wait to sell? Paperwork (examples?)? Temptation to bring equipment with you, such as a handheld radio. Limitations of a small boat. Buying new makes it a lot easier but does that push the price up too much. Anything else you can think of?
And also where? Small bays and estuaries is interesting for this size boat. Where are some places that don't quite suit this and some places which might. Places I'm familiar with to help me orientate what you are talking about and a scenario of use compared to charter: Hong Kong, Poole/Solent, Canary Islands, Buenos Aires

Do you have some phrases that I can search for?

Finally, I just managed to get a hirecar for a month in the canaries for $7/day as it's low season. If only the same thing was available for boats...

I can think of a number of problems with this approach.

But, I don't want you to think I am a naysayer. I think "open minded" discussions are the best and a forum like this should welcome them.

A few things to consider:

1. I think the LOCATION where this will be used will be of most importance. You said "warm." There is a big difference between "warm" and "hot" and "sweltering heat" and "oppressive heat and humidity." Time of year may or may not make a difference, if you are near the equator.

2. Everyone has different tolerances for comfort. I have traveled and slept in a hostel, backpacked in wilderness areas for weeks, slept on hard ground and floors, slept in rain forests, and generally "roughed" it in a variety of places from Alaska to Central America and to Caribbean Islands. So I know I can do it (have done it). But, would I choose to do it now (I am now 54)? Probably not, if I had a better option. But travel is a great thing to experience, even if some of the experiences can be uncomfortable, and is often easier on the body when one is young.

3. The typical RIB does not have much open floor space. I like to sleep stretched out. I am 6 feet tall. I don't think a typical RIB will be a comfortable place to lie down to sleep, especially if it is full of camping gear and supplies. One night of being curled up on the RIB would be too much for me. So, that leads us to sleeping on the beach, assuming you drag your RIB up onto a beach and can do that by yourself and launch it by yourself.

4. Sand fleas, No-See-Ums, and biting flies (habitants of beaches and marshes) can be vicious and drive a person crazy!!

I would MUCH prefer to be on a boat anchored offshore, in a breeze. I read a website somewhere a few years ago. It showed how the native islanders (those who live there, not tourists) on a remote tropical atoll, had their sleeping hut out on the water on stilts. Reason? The sand fleas/flies (noseeums) were terrible and drove them off the beach at night.

There can be a HUGE difference in comfort that can be felt when two locations may be only a few meters apart. Fifty meters off shore will be different from on the beach or just inside the trees near a beach or near a marsh. Big difference!

Some of the most challenging times I remember near saltwater are when the mosquitoes from a salt marsh attacked. Another was when mosquitos attacked when I was in Alaska. Vicious bloodsuckers! But, as bad as big mosquitos can be, they are only second to the No-See-Ums when it comes to their unstoppable ferocity and the aggravation they cause a human.

5. Being on an open boat exposes you to ALL the weather conditions, including rain and sun. In the tropics, without any shade (on the skiff) you will roast/burn. In the tropics you may experience daily rain showers and all of your exposed gear will be soaked. "Shelter" of some kind is important for comfort, health, and long term survivability.

6. In many cruising locations, an open boat is a needed tool for the locals and an untended one loaded with personal gear will be a temptation to thieves. IF your skiff is loaded with valuable gear and brought to shore, it and everything in it and attached to it is going to be a target for theft whenever you leave the skiff to do anything ashore. While the skiff may be there when you return, your motor, or all of your gear may be gone.

My Suggestion: Offer to crew for cruisers or other sailors where you want to sail or visit. Save your money for beer, gifts for the locals (or skipper), and enjoy the travel in good cheer!

Good luck on your adventure travels and if you do decide to "Skiff It" around the world, make sure you come back here and post something about your experiences.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 19:30   #9

Thanks for the info steady! That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Crewing. Yes, an option for sure. Not really the same of course. I'll get back to this in a minute.

With those problems you didn't mention paperwork or some places where this might work better?
Thanks regards the deck space problem. I was expecting I might be able to find something with enough space to sleep but that doesn't seem common enough. Yeah it can probably be addressed but then it's work. Likewise for mosquitos I was thinking epoxy 4 bamboo rods on and attach a mosquito net from ebay. But yeah, again it's work and probably get hammered. Are these things a show stopper in of themselves? I haven't been in tropical areas enough to figure out if 50m offshore is enough to deter mosquitos.
Hong Kong bali and java has been a really difficult environment being in the tropics. The canaries was a lot easier - sub tropical is a lot easier on land... I guess the same for coastal too.

Security.
Not sure what to think. I had this concerns with my van. I never actually became victim to it.
I guess budget this in as a risk... just make sure the loss is not too great and do everything possible to reduce it. The things I'd be risking would be the outboard ($500?) & a surfboard ($300) but not much more since if I'm not there I take it with me. Maybe a wetsuit too ($150)...

I kept the outside of the van looking rough deliberately. Perhaps this helped. I guess this isn't going to work the same with boats. I could imagine though having a boat looking exactly the same as what the locals use and mooring this up in among the locals.

Dragging it up the beach isn't going to work. Dragging anchor could be a problem.

hmm, problems and hassles.
i still like to think they can be overcome. If nothing else it's a useful learning process for other ventures

I'm going to investigate more regards crewing but keep it away from this thread for the moment. My concerns were having a surfboard, a girlfriend and unpredictable work schedule... but maybe I can find a way round these things. The truth is that whenever I find an interest needs other people to do it with, it's a lot less likely to actually happen. I have that problem right now with freediving. Hence the investigation