Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2009, 23:01   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Florida Boat 'Repo Man' Messes Up - Twice

Sure, times are tough, and one of the first things people stop making payments on in hard times is their boat. So while those repossessing boats are finding themselves busier than ever, you might think they would be certain they have the right boat before they take possession.

Uhm . . . Not always . . .

From the Los Angeles Times of May 25, 2009:

"A Florida company that claims to be the biggest boat repossession firm in the world has run into trouble for twice seizing the wrong vessel, once with the owners inside."

To read the rest of the story, go to:

Florida repossession company twice seizes wrong boat - Los Angeles Times

TaoJones
Old 24-05-2009, 23:10   #2

I've known several people in that industry and I can tell you first hand, they are NOT the sharpest tool in any shed!! Don't get me wrong, they are my friends, but man I've seen them do some crazy stupid things that I thought was pretty obvious.. So, not tooooo shocked!! Nice story though.. thanks for sharing!!!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 07:14   #3

Boat: Privilege 39
I find it interesting that state attorney considers it a civil matter... Repossessing the correct boat - fine. Repossessing the wrong boat is theft. Hope it all works out for the boat's owners.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 07:59   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
it's not theft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
I find it interesting that state attorney considers it a civil matter... Repossessing the correct boat - fine. Repossessing the wrong boat is theft.
...it's piracy. Seems that the state attorney never cracked a book on maritime law.
Old 25-05-2009, 08:04   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I'm no lawyer, but I suspect the reason the attorney general wants it in civil court is that the repo men didn't have intent to steal, just really poor investigative judgment.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:34   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I had a customer remove their vessel from a marina to parts unknown without paying their bill.....the States Attorney here in Maryland says it is a civil matter....but if you take your car off of a dealership lot without paying a bill it is theft of services....go figure.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 15:09   #7

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Florida is yet another one of those states that are anything but consumer friendly in such matters (although they are better than many places). The only experience I have ever had with repo people was mostly pleasant. I had a car that I had financed through the dealership and because I was getting out of the army within a year of buying it had (tried to be responsible and) paid double payments on it for the whole time. After 18 months of paying on a 36 month note I called in for the payoff thinking it would be a few thousand and I would be able to be free and clear upon getting out and be able to focus on the boat savings plan

When I called for payoff I was told it was aroudn 16 grand (about 4 grand more than the initial principle had been in the first place!). The whole thing turned into a big mess with the dealer, the finance company, and even the Tennessee AG's office apparently being all caught up in a series of auto finance schemes that targeted military personnel.

My lawyer finally advised me to let them repo the car since the cost of fighting the whole mess was quickly approaching a point where it was going to surpass what I had paid and what the car was worth.

In the end, the repo company was very nice and actually forced the lender to credit my balance for the REAL amount they got for the car at auction and a few other things. The lender however was still as crooked as ever, and I ended up having to wait 5-7 years for a false 6 thousand dollar debt to drop off my credit report.

Oh well lol (yes I realize that this post probably is totally off topic now that I've finished writing it)

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 15:57   #8

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
In my book if you take something that doesn't belong to you, it's stealing.
If you take something because you are stupid, you still took something. Once maybe I would have a little understanding (I'm sure it's not an easy job) but twice! If nothing else he ought to do 30 days just to wake him up.
Old 25-05-2009, 21:17   #9

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
The car repo guys that I've known were tough rather than smart. Mostly big & tough but not an Einstein or a Stephen Hawking in the bunch.I had a car repo'd due to a credit union error during a merger. The 2 guys at my door were each half a foot taller and 100#'s heaver than me and more pissed off than they had any reason to be. They kind of wanted to get in my face so I told them that I was not even close to stupid enough to start fighting with them on my front lawn on a nice Saturday morning and then they mellowed out a bit.
I'm really not surprised to hear that they took the wrong boat twice.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 03:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Generally, Repo’ guys are private citizens acting on behalf of private business; and they cannot trespass after being lawfully ordered to leave by the property owner, and they cannot disturb the peace - even during a legal court-sanctioned repossession.
This is why the smart ones come by boat (no tresspass on private property), and late at night (avoids confrontation).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 05:56   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
In my book if you take something that doesn't belong to you, it's stealing.
If you take something because you are stupid, you still took something. Once maybe I would have a little understanding (I'm sure it's not an easy job) but twice! If nothing else he ought to do 30 days just to wake him up.
No. The law says that one of the elements of the crime of larceny -- stealing -- is animus furandi -- an intent to steal. If they honestly and reasonably thought they had the right to take it, or if they had no intention to convert the boat to their own use, there is no crime.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 17:36   #12

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Ok Dockhead, you are proably right. At least they should be convicted of multiple counts of stupidity. Oh yeah, thats right there is no law against being stupid. Talk about clogging up the court system. All right I will settle for him just being fired, and no unemployment.

Tags
florida