Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2013, 21:22   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: First Boat Purchase... Going to Have a Look at a Bristol 32

I wouldn't bother with a survey at that price. You can put the money into upgrades for the boat. If you discover anything major after purchase, part it out and you are bucks ahead. Could probably sell the jack stands and engine and break even.

Don't know what that picture of the bolt was all about but it indicates a leak that needs to be taken care of. I'd remove all the hardware, use a Dremel with a 199 bit to rout out the core around the fastener, fill with thickened epoxy, redrill the holes and reinstall the hardware with Butyl or LifeCaulk. You'll save yourself from any future problems with the core and stop any leaks. I'd pull the chainplates just to be sure that there is no crevice corrosion where they pass through the deck.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to put the boat in the water if you can leave it where it is and it's convenient for you to get to work on the boat. You won't have any deterioration from salt water corrosion while it's on the hard. Any improvements that you want to make to the boat will go way faster and you'll get more done with the boat out of the water. When your ready to launch it, put it in the water.

The boat is a proven design and it's doubtful that you'll find anything earth shattering out of a sail other than you might get seasick. Here's a blog by a guy who sailed a B32 from the East Coast to Ireland via the Azores. He's a good writer and the account of the sail is an entertaining read. Unfortunately, he developed Lung Cancer and has passed on.
S/V Kestrel - The Boat.

Goof luck with the boat. Think you've got a gem there and the price is definitely right.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 22:24   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That appears to be a Universal M25 engine. It appears to have the alternator bracket upgrade (necessary) already done.

We have a TON of M25 engine information on our C34 website:

Diesel Engine - C34

Good luck, looks sweet.
Excellent eye. The link and knowledge is much appreciated. -K
Old 19-06-2013, 22:55   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I wouldn't bother with a survey at that price. You can put the money into upgrades for the boat. If you discover anything major after purchase, part it out and you are bucks ahead. Could probably sell the jack stands and engine and break even.

Don't know what that picture of the bolt was all about but it indicates a leak that needs to be taken care of. I'd remove all the hardware, use a Dremel with a 199 bit to rout out the core around the fastener, fill with thickened epoxy, redrill the holes and reinstall the hardware with Butyl or LifeCaulk. You'll save yourself from any future problems with the core and stop any leaks. I'd pull the chainplates just to be sure that there is no crevice corrosion where they pass through the deck.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to put the boat in the water if you can leave it where it is and it's convenient for you to get to work on the boat. You won't have any deterioration from salt water corrosion while it's on the hard. Any improvements that you want to make to the boat will go way faster and you'll get more done with the boat out of the water. When your ready to launch it, put it in the water.

The boat is a proven design and it's doubtful that you'll find anything earth shattering out of a sail other than you might get seasick. Here's a blog by a guy who sailed a B32 from the East Coast to Ireland via the Azores. He's a good writer and the account of the sail is an entertaining read. Unfortunately, he developed Lung Cancer and has passed on.
S/V Kestrel - The Boat.

Goof luck with the boat. Think you've got a gem there and the price is definitely right.
Thanks all for your replies, information, and encouragement.

Roverhi, I have been thinking along these lines as well; purchasing it and slowing my rush to the water. I also believe that I could part it out as a last ditch option and make my money back. My co-purchaser / silent partner has no experience whatsoever with boats and sailing and is pretty insistent on a survey and her reasoning opened my eyes a bit to some selfishness on my part: if it were to only be I aboard this new-to-us craft, gambling on it's ability to keep me safe directly impacts me only. The minute I invite friends and family aboard, the responsibility and weight associated with that gamble increases tenfold. In other words, don't unnecessarily put others in harms way by shrugging off prudence. Fair point I must say, though, can't we all be a bit less risk averse ?

The bolt in the photo was a single bolt coming through the cabin roof on the port side just forward of the companionway. It was the only bolt coming through the cabin roof that showed signs of rust. Wish I has thought to better photograph it's environs.

Finally, the Kestrel is perhaps the most well known B32 due to John's writing and I knew of him prior to finding this current B32 I'm wanting to buy. Sadly coincidental, part of my haste in this endeavor stems from my grandfather's recent diagnosis of stage 3 lung cancer and my desire to share with him new adventures, however small, when/if he enters remission. It's no reason alone to make hasty, self-serving financial decisions, but I'd be lying if I claimed that desire didn't add weight to the "buy it" side of the scale.

Will be calling the owner tomorrow to discuss options and deposits.

Thanks again all, I'm sure you'll continue to hear about it.

-K
Old 20-06-2013, 03:09   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

For $8k all in she could be a very good deal - but she could still be a money pit (including unknown to the Vendor).

Having a Plan B (in this case parting out) is a comfort, but I would include in Plan A the fact that you will be spending cash (and time) on her, likely at least a couple of k (even though won't ever be 100% sure at the getgo on what!).....I mention that because if the $8k will completely max you out will not be a happy way to start your boat owning life. Doable but less than ideal........on which note, if that is the case now is the time to ask about owner financing! (not after the deal done!).

Whilst there is much sense in not going for an early splash, nonetheless I would caution about getting sucked into doing too much work at the getgo with her ashore - easy to end up with a disassembled boat ashore for all good reasons!, and they go back together a lot slower than you think. Personally I would settle for watertight (no water coming up ) and fix any leaks coming down when in the water - plus the other odd jobs mentioned. For sure some will be a bit less convenient, but the upside is you still have a useable boat!

With the mast down a good time to have a rigger look at it, as said already if the rigging is old (or unknown age) then will need to factor in replacement sooner or later - but as long as won't be heading off on any great voyages on day 1 and nothing visibly wrong (frayed wires) then IMO not strictly necessary to re-rig her immediately (just don't blame me if the mast comes down!). But a rigger casting eye over will spot whether anything else needs fixing now or simply talk you through what to bear in mind for later - arguably as much about being a comfort (and gaining knowledge) as anything else. Also don't be totally surprised that when the mast goes up that something useful has gone walkabout or no longer works since the mast came down, likely nothing major (frozen nuts? ) but having a rigger on hand rather than solely DIY for first mast raising would be useful........obviously always easier to spend someone else's money!

On a side issue, as you mentioned a partner - would be wise to have a formal agreement between the two of you. Agreements between partners very much like fences between neighbours - having a good one makes life happier for both sides by providing certainty......with a fair wind should never even need to read it (after signing!), but it's purpose is to make sure from day 1 that everyone's assumptions of how the deal works are the same! (see recent thread about the dispute between new partners - 1 week?! - about having glassware onboard, or not!)..........and both having an exit plan in writing is useful for when (not if!) personal circumstances change.

Anyway, fingers crossed all goes well
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 16:26   #35

Boat: Watkins 29'
I like this boat, sounds like a winner. As far as the survey goes, you will probably need to get one for insurance purposes anyway, an insurance survey will not be 20 bucks a foot, it will also not be as in depth as a purchase survey. You should be able to negotiate a little due to the fact you are the one taking the risk, keeping her where she is until you get her sorted out should also be worked out. Good luck with whatever you decide.. Also, avoid starting the diesel for short periods, not good for the motor, get water to it and bring it up to temp next time you run it..
Old 20-06-2013, 23:16   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Gotta say, I'm with all on this one...For $4K, forget the surveyor and slap a down on it...NOW... with an agreement to find transportation within 30 days.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 15:32   #37

I have the same engine in my 1983 Cape Dory 31. It is an M25 21Hp Universal which Westerbeke bought out some time ago. It is actually a Kubota tractor engine and then Universal did the marine conversion on it. My engine sat idle for 3 years, it was never winterized, the owner pulled in his slip, turned it off and there she sat for 3 years. I pulled the engine thinking I was going to have to replace it and I had my mechanic go through it while it was out of the boat, clean fuel, strong start battery, and water. Third try, she fired right up, and just hummed. The engine would probably be a good portion of the price of the boat. I would be in total agreement to offer a buy. That is a Ted Hood design, quality designer. I have a friend who has one here and we went out sailing not long ago, she sails very much like my Cape Dory, full keel attached rudder, tender at first but then locks in and picks up waterline length as she heels. Nice Boat.
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 15:55   #38

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Hey, that sounds nice.
Locks in and picks up water line length.
Your a sailor for sure.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 07:46   #39

So...

Now that the figures are on paper, and plan (kind of) in place, and discussions had with co-purchasers, and a decision to go forward with it has been made... don't you know I can't get a hold of the seller.

Figures.
Old 22-06-2013, 07:47   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post
Also, avoid starting the diesel for short periods, not good for the motor, get water to it and bring it up to temp next time you run it..
Thanks for the tip.
Old 22-06-2013, 09:22   #41

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
sorry, I had some extra cash laying around and thought it was a good deal.

Haha, just kidding.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 09:45   #42

Haha so you're the guy from Atlanta putting me in the hot seat. Seems like today is decision day as he's get another seriously interested party.
Old 22-06-2013, 10:22   #43

If the engine ran well, and everything looks good: rudder solid and not loose etc. I'd probably just buy it. Then go thru things before launch (bottom paint, packing, inspect prop shaft) and be done with it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 17:40   #44

Boat: Tartan 40
See, that's the thing about the market today... Well priced attractive boats sell quickly. I thought it was underpriced....
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 21:46   #45

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalksp View Post
Haha so you're the guy from Atlanta putting me in the hot seat. Seems like today is decision day as he's get another seriously interested party.
Every buyer says they are serious until they need to pony up. What did you mean by co-purchaser?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase