Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 21:10   #31

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radvas View Post
Just yesterday I was watching a history channel special about the Coast Guard. It included a segment on the rescue boat training facility the CG has at Cape Disappointment (near the mouth of the Columbia).

It was something watching the 47' rescue boat roll in the waves and right itself. The waters look like they can get quite inhospitable in that area in the right conditions.

From the Oregon State Marine Board, here is a publication about the Oregon Coast.

Oregon State Marine Board OSMB Library
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 21:46   #32

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by radvas View Post
It was something watching the 47' rescue boat roll in the waves and right itself. The waters look like they can get quite inhospitable in that area in the right conditions.
It's been said the Columbia Bar is the most dangerous waters along the entire West coast of the United States. Having come through there just a couple of days ago with 20+ foot breaking seas, I'm inclined to agree.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 14:29   #33

I grew up in OR, have spent a lot of time on the sound, and live in Manette, WA.

House with a dock for a 40-50 foot catamaran on the puget sound or san juans? Holy crap expensive. Basically no chance you will ever be able to build a dock if there isn't one there.

Would I want a 40-50 cat pulling at a mooring buoy? Not sure...my aunts/uncles had mooring buoys and both have had them break off at least once that I know of. And that's with no boat moored on them.

Would you even be able to put down a mooring buoy if there wasn't one already there? I wouldn't bet too much money on it...regulations here are very strict when it comes to anything involving building and salt water. I guess you could always do it and beg forgiveness.

My parents bought a 3bd/2.5ba waterfront house for four and a quarter with a dock just recently...but it's a very small dock and dries out on low tides. You get a view of the mudflats at that point which some dislike. You may be able to find a house with mudflat frontage that would be OK for a cat if you're willing to have that view/smell and have your boat go aground every day.

The boating here is great. The sailing not quite as good. Not too much wind in the summer when the weather's good and most people don't want to go sailing the rest of the year. You have to be somewhat hardy to enjoy sailing in the winter.

To pass on a joke..."if you're thinking about owning a boat in the NW, go into the bathroom, fill the bath tub with ice water and sit in it, then start throwing $100 bills into the toilet. If you enjoy that you'll enjoy owing a boat here!" I love it but many people hate the weather and the water is always cold except in a few spots (from what I remember desolation sound has some odd currents that allow there to be warm water, but it's been a long time).
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 15:59   #34

Boat: Tartan 37 - Betty Lou
I have a 50 foot slip in a private marina in St. Helens on the Columbia River. Fits my Tartan 37 just fine, but there are not many slips or even side ties for multi-hulls along the Columbia.

That said, mooring costs on the river are some of the cheapest in the country, with 50' slips available for under $200/month. We bought our slip for $17k. There are nice condos for sale at the head of the ramp, and there are a few nice homes along the river with private docks, but they would be expensive.

As for the sailing on the river, we get good wind almost every afternoon in the summer, but do a LOT of short tacking. The trip over the bar and North up the coast is not that bad if you wait for the right conditions. I go up to the West Coast of Vancouver Island in the summer... it is 30 hours from Astoria to Barkley Sound.

jk
alpinista55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 18:45   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Capcook --

Waterfront real estate can be had up here, so long as you're willing to be a fair distance from Seattle. The closer to Seattle, the more expensive it will be, even in this market. Moderate to high bank salt waterfront will be cheaper than low bank, but moderate to high bank on Bainbridge (where I live), with a nice house, you're still looking at $850K and up, today. Low bank, 1.2mil + (you're paying for the incredible views, too). The nice thing, right now, is that there's lots to choose from and since practically nothing is moving, you might be able to get a good deal.

Waterfront will be much cheaper in the outlying areas like Shelton, Hood Canal, Olympia. Being in the rain shadow around Port Townsend, Sequim will be a bit more expensive, but less than Seattle/Bainbridge. Poulsbo/Kingston area is a bit less and is quite nice. You've already seen listings for Bremerton and that area has improved quite a bit over the last number of years.

The earlier posters are totally correct about docks and mooring balls. If already there, then you can keep it and "repair" it, but building new or making significant improvements will require permits from several agencies and they are very tight about it. There are lots of salt waterfront lots, though, where you wouldn't want to put a dock, even if you could get the permits. Simply not enough protection and the best views will also mean lots of fetch. Winter storms here can occasionally be quite vicious, too.

Most people just get a dock at a marina or yacht club and those are actually relatively cheap, at least compared to Florida and the E. Coast.

Like others have said, the best sailing is in Spring and Fall, when it is still cool. If you're OK with that, then it can be spectacular. Summer is pretty much motoring. But doing so in some of the prettiest scenery to be had.

ID

(Not a real estate agent, but a PacNW resident of 30+ years)

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 19:34   #36

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Thanks guys... this is all very helpful... I would be OK with a Condo and a Marina slip...in fact that would probably be my preference... be nice to be within walking distance... I will check out options on the River...

Thanks again...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 19:35   #37

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
If you're not totally bummed by now and the prospect of a smaller boat might appeal, take a look here:

Lagoon Point Home Page

It's not an all tides entrance/exit, but the real estate values might get your attention. I have a 25' beam and draw 5' with the centerboard down, and can come and go on a mid tide. The bottom at the entrance is basically "0" tide. Take a look at "Waterway Photos" at a minus tide. (We have extended and improved the jetty since these photos were taken.)

Google for Island County, WA.

Steve B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canal looking south _Med.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	10374  
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 20:00   #38

Not many condos here on the Kitsap Peninsula and a decent quality one, especially one with a marina slip, can be very expensive.

Might want to think about renting before buying to get a feel for the area. On the west side of hood's canal you are way away from anything. In Shelton....well, it's Shelton. I wouldn't want to live there. Bremerton has a lot of bad parts too.

If I didn't have to work I would think about Skagit and Whatcom Counties. Not much in the way of work but they're a lot closer to the choice cruising grounds and not too expensive. A lot of people seem to like Bellingham. Also relatively close to Seattle.
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 21:08   #39

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Ever consider a partnership? Is this conducive to how you plan to use your boat. Many working people here cover a lot of our ~200 mile long cruising grounds by sharing. One partner sails north for a week or month. The other puddle jumps, or drives, up to them and they trade places. I have freshwater moorage on 22 mile long Lake Washington in the Seattle city limits. Its reasonable daysailing for a big cat and some people "cruise" overnight to some of the 10 or so large parks around the lake ..... but I am also 2-3 hrs via canal & locks to Puget Sound. Let me know.

Eric

To all you other posters about this region, I thought we all agreed to not tell anyone about this part of the world Now repeat after me: "It rains all the time in Seattle, you do not want to move here".

Eric
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 21:57   #40
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Yes, Eric, I forgot. Today's weather forecast:

Tonight
Cloudy with a chance of rain this evening...then rain likely after midnight. Lows in the 40s to lower 50s. East wind 10 to 20 mph.

Wednesday
Becoming breezy. Rain in the morning...then showers in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 50s to lower 60s. Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming south 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon.
» ZIP Code Detail
Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy. A chance of evening showers...then a chance of rain after midnight. Lows in the mid 40s to lower 50s. South wind 10 to 15 mph.

Thursday
Cloudy with a chance of rain in the morning...then rain likely in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 50s to lower 60s. Southeast wind 10 to 20 mph.
» ZIP Code Detail
Thursday Night
Breezy...rain. Lows in the upper 40s to mid 50s. South wind 15 to 25 mph becoming southeast 10 to 15 mph after midnight.

Friday
Rain. Highs in the lower 60s.
» ZIP Code Detail
Friday Night
Showers likely. Lows in the upper 40s.

ID

P.S. Really, it rains all the time here. When it isn't raining, it is cold. Really, really cold. Mountains? What mountains? All I see is fog, when it isn't raining, that is.

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 11:29   #41

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Yup, thats the forecast I'm talking about
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 12:26   #42

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Dang, That must be why its so green and beautiful!
You folks on the Eastern side, any snow today?? Any baseball games cancelled due to snow?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oregon, Washington