Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2008, 12:02   #1

Boat: Wharram Pahi 31, Oh Be Joyful, ohbejoyfuljourney.blogspot.com
fair price

Howdy gang, I'm thinking of purchasing a new boat and am seeking some advice. Right now I have a catalina c15 and I've really fallen in love with sailing. I would like to get a larger boat that my wife and I could use inland but trailer to the sea of cortez next summer. I live in Gunnison, CO and the largest reservoir in the state is just down the road. Right now I'm looking at a used 1994 Macregor 26c. Here's a list of features that the seller has provided. Any adive would be appreciated. cheers
Chris
Standard features of the MacGregor 26C: water ballast
Pivot center board
mastraising kit
trailer
original sails
enclosed head w/ porta potty
galley and sink
pop top and pop top enclosure
8HP 4-stoke Honda Outboard motor
closed cell cockpit cushions
Extra gear included: Bimini
Custom full batten mainsail and jib
spinaker
Fish/ depth finder
solar panel trickle charger
canvas hatch and cowl cover
swim ladder
CD player
Deck speakers
life vests
anchor Improvements to the hull, deck, rigging, engine, or interior: Shore power installed
Recovered interior cushions
Interior carpet General condition and any additional information: This boat is in very good condition. Has been sailed in fresh water lakes and lightly used. Price $8,300 US Asking price
Dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 12:28   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
There is a fella that pops in here once in a while. He is in the Bahamas right now on a MacGregor. Seems to be having the time of his life too............
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 12:44   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
It is probably a fair price. But.. there are many more boats out there that will sail a whole lot better than the McGregor . A quik trawl on Yachtworld might be worth the time, I just had a looksie and saw a very nice Bristol 27 for $6k that would not only sail better but would also hold its value much better, and is a pretty boat ( Life is too short to sail Ugly boats!) IT might not have all the nice new equipment but in the long run it will teach you how to sail better, and its trailerable.
Just my 0.0000002
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 12:54   #4

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Dudeman,
If you are looking to sail, you might look in a different direction. The Bristol 27 is a nice sailing vessel. When I went lake sailing with my McGregor, I had a very difficult time putting the boat back on the trailer. The ramp was not steep enough. The boattrailer swayed all the way home. With the swing keel there was a lot of drift sideways when sailing. The swing keel did not offer enough resistance and the boat slide across the water more than a full keep boat. The mMcGregor was fun and it has its place in the boating world.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 18:34   #5

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Id stay away from the Mac. they dont sail as well as other boats the same size. your probably on your way up in boats so you'll want to find something you can re-sale in a year or so when you move up again.
Many have spent many good times on a C22 or a C25. both can be trailered very easy, they sail very well for a production boat and best of all, can be had for a reasonable price, and when selling, you can get as much back as you spent for them.
their just a good all-round boat..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote