Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 20:45   #1

Dry Storage Fees Around the World Question

I have heard much about keeping a cruising boat below 40 feet/12 meters because the slip and dry storage fees increase dramatically above that size. The limited information I have found online suggests the increase is more gradual and that a 43 foot/13 meter monohull is not really much more than one below the 40 foot mark.

We plan to leave in two years and cruise the world. We will likely be leaving the boat in various locations for as much as 6 months at a time, so we would like to get a grip on the nuances of dry storage fees as we make our final boat selection.

Does anyone have any thoughts or observations on storage fees as it relates to boats in this size range? Is there a large increase in fees or is it simply linear?
Barefoot Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 05:36   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Dry Storage Fees Around the World Question

Our experience dealing with hundreds of marinas over the years is that they charge by the foot, so a yard that charges $3.50 per foot for storage will only cost a 40 foot boat $3.50 over a 39 foot boat. Some marinas do charge by the slip size and that would work against you. If your boat is 36 foot and will have to use a 40 foot slip, you pay more. Get the boat you are comfortable with. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 19:05   #3

Thanks AnchorageGuy. That's what I have found in the US and Caribbean. Though I've heard otherwise, what pricing I can find for Europe seems to be about the same (though in meters, not feet), and I think that's logical. Just wanted to try to make sure so we don't inadvertently bust the budget before we ever even leave the country.
Barefoot Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 21:07   #4

Boat: none

If or when you ever get to Phuket in your travels, there is a great new dry storage yard,newly opened just 12 mths ago and run very professionally by a local . Great infrastructure ,free wifi ,can liveaboard. Great for lifting cats up to 20tons with a new Rodberg? lifting trailer.
For a 53ft cat only $370 au per month
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees, round the world, storage