Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 11:00   #1

Do not pay 3rd party insurance repair

Hello, I am new to post to this forum, but have been reading it since forever.
Now that it has become clear I have been played by insurance company Mapfre, I want to let other cruisers to learn from my experience.

December 2018 in Gran Canarias marina Pasito Blanco I was hit by local boat during berthing maneuvers in calm weather.
Marina people helped to translate and contacted Mapfre inspector and found company to repair the damage, which is 2x10cm hole through gelcoat to fiber.

Pictures and information were exchanged between me and inspector. Local boatyard calculated a quote for the fix, which Mapfre inspector approved via email.
It was important to fix damage quickly so that voyage towards Cape Verde could take place as there is simply no infrastructure in Cape Verde to lift boat on hard. If anything need to be fixed, do it in Canaries. Waiting too long with the fix would let sea water to seep in to the fiber.

Now comes the tricky part: marina wanted me to pay the repair myself, so they do not need to await insurance company. I felt this is just reasonable as they have no role in the damage, why should they need to wait their money?

Still today, June 2019, six months after damage, Mapfre has not made contact, let alone sent compensation. And to my horror I have come to realize there is NOTHING I can do about it. They. Just. Do. Not. Pay. Mapfre Spain - big and sinister corporate as it is - maybe wants to teach foreign yachts to use their own respective kasko insurances instead, by delaying compensations forever.
Maybe there indeed is a pattern here... like... a new business model?

Lesson learned: never pay damage yourself. Always agree with the yard for them to get payment directly from insurance company.

Regards,
Jouni Lahdelma
Little Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 16:46   #2

Re: Do not pay 3rd party insurance repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jim View Post
Now that it has become clear I have been played by insurance company Mapfre, I want to let other cruisers to learn from my experience.

December 2018 in Gran Canarias marina Pasito Blanco I was hit by local boat during berthing maneuvers in calm weather.
Marina people helped to translate and contacted Mapfre inspector and found company to repair the damage, which is 2x10cm hole through gelcoat to fiber.

Pictures and information were exchanged between me and inspector. Local boatyard calculated a quote for the fix, which Mapfre inspector approved via email.
It was important to fix damage quickly so that voyage towards Cape Verde could take place as there is simply no infrastructure in Cape Verde to lift boat on hard. If anything need to be fixed, do it in Canaries. Waiting too long with the fix would let sea water to seep in to the fiber.

Now comes the tricky part: marina wanted me to pay the repair myself, so they do not need to await insurance company. I felt this is just reasonable as they have no role in the damage, why should they need to wait their money?

Still today, June 2019, six months after damage, Mapfre has not made contact, let alone sent compensation. And to my horror I have come to realize there is NOTHING I can do about it. They. Just. Do. Not. Pay. Mapfre Spain - big and sinister corporate as it is - maybe wants to teach foreign yachts to use their own respective kasko insurances instead, by delaying compensations forever.

Lesson learned: never pay damage yourself. Always agree with the yard for them to get payment directly from insurance company.

Regards,
Jouni Lahdelma
If this is common behavior among insurance companies then I doubt you'll find a yard willing to take on the pain of collecting from the insurance company for you, they'll just refuse the work knowing that you have to get it done regardless. Or you'll have to be willing to compensate them for the pain you don't want to incur that they'll have to incur for you by taking on the collections chore.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 17:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do not pay 3rd party insurance repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jim View Post

Regards,
Jouni Lahdelma
Just be prepared for them not to launch the boat till the Insurance company pays up.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 17:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jouni.
Sorry to learn of your insurance woes.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:02   #5

Suggest you follow up with this link...

https://www.mapfreglobalrisks.com/ri...aims-spain.jsp
Celticsailor45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 17:02   #6

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Interesting little clip from their site...

"Prior to presenting a claim or complaint, there must have been an action or decision taken by MAPFRE with which you are not in agreement."

So if I take this literally, it means that if they do not act, they have taken no action or decision, so complaint cannot be logged? I sure hope that it is NOT that way with this company, because fewer insurance companies mean less competition for clients, and that means higher premiums and even poorer customer service levels.
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 19:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Why would the marina pay? Was the local boat berthed in the marina? Does the marina require all boats to be insured?

You have a witness about the local boat? Shouldn't they be paying? In theory, I assume they have no insurance....
Old 12-06-2019, 19:14   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico

That is a big company to be pulling that type of shenanigans. They even have a pretty big US presence. I would be the biggest thorn they ever had, and this forum is a good start.

I am going to link to this thread on Twitter. Let the word get out.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance