Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2020, 11:54   #1

Boat: Pearson 303
DIY Marina South FL?

We're looking to get a haul out in December for a fresh coat of bottom paint and some under the waterline projects near Miami (ideally not more than 1-2 hours of driving), 30' mono hull.

My understanding is that DIY marinas in the area are rare and I found Catamaran Marina in Key Largo recommended but the price quote I got was nothing short of daylight robbery ($1200/month, plus $100 here and $200 there for blocking, pressure wash etc).

Does anyone have any other suggestions around the area? We have a 1987 Pearson, so neither need red carpets or gold coated travel lifts.

Fort Lauderdale have a lot of marinas, are they all super yacht shops? Anything further north or down the Keys?
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:29   #2

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320
Re: DIY Marina South FL?

Playboy Marine in Fort Lauderdale. Reasonable rates and lots of contractors on site if you need help.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:50   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350

Hurricane Cove on the Miami River. DIY or you can hire their people if you need help.

https://hurricanecovemiami.com/
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 14:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMarc View Post
Hurricane Cove on the Miami River. DIY or you can hire their people if you need help.

https://hurricanecovemiami.com/
But so many bridges! I'd rather spend a day bobbing along on the outside than half a day doing bridges.
To be serious, it's definitely an alternative, I just dismissed them as they're the only marina around so I assumed they'd be expensive and we need to spend a few weeks.

I reached out to Playboy now, I'll report back pricing in case anyone comes back to this thread.
Old 30-10-2020, 09:01   #5

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinung View Post
We're looking to get a haul out in December for a fresh coat of bottom paint and some under the waterline projects near Miami (ideally not more than 1-2 hours of driving), 30' mono hull.

My understanding is that DIY marinas in the area are rare and I found Catamaran Marina in Key Largo recommended but the price quote I got was nothing short of daylight robbery ($1200/month, plus $100 here and $200 there for blocking, pressure wash etc).

Does anyone have any other suggestions around the area? We have a 1987 Pearson, so neither need red carpets or gold coated travel lifts.

Fort Lauderdale have a lot of marinas, are they all super yacht shops? Anything further north or down the Keys?
Playboy Marine in Ft. Lauderdale is a good choice.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 09:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We have used Playboy Marine Center Do It Yourself Boat Repair Facility in Dania Beach - DIY Boat Maintenance Yard | Playboymarine.com

If you need a contractor for doing some or all of the bottom work, I recommend
Contact Absolute Boat Care, Dania, Florida | Absolute Boat Repair It's a family run business. Ask for Dario. He and his brother have been taking care of our sailboats for over fifteen years.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 10:07   #7

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Cracker Boy Boat Works Ft Pierce $40 a day plus haul out blocking
Go there all the time Great folks
Russ
Old 30-10-2020, 12:27   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

Playboy is good, but requires that you buy all your below-the-waterline supplies (bottom paint, zincs, etc) from them at inflated prices. Most DIY yards have similar requirements. The only one I know that does not is Seminole Marine in Palm Beach Gardens, just under 2 hours drive from Miami.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 12:44   #9

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Don't know whats going on now, but the yard at the end of the New river, in Lauderdale was a DIY operation.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 13:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Playboy is good, but requires that you buy all your below-the-waterline supplies (bottom paint, zincs, etc) from them at inflated prices. Most DIY yards have similar requirements. The only one I know that does not is Seminole Marine in Palm Beach Gardens, just under 2 hours drive from Miami.
At $30/day for first 2 weeks, $45 for the next weeks, then $55 et for Playboy makes it pretty ridiculous for > month.
Looks like the marina business is what we all should've been doing during covid, they must be up to their ears in deep pocket customers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Don't know whats going on now, but the yard at the end of the New river, in Lauderdale was a DIY operation.
Do you happen to know the name, or can pinpoint where it was? Looks like there's a few marinas on the river.

Tags
DIY