Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2015, 22:07   #1

Defender Marine Price More Than Double Competition

Defender used to have very fair prices. They are rarely competitive any lone. Example: A marine refrigerator Isotherm Bl 75 is sold by Defender for more than $1800 U.S. The regular (not on sale) price is 1163 Euros on a European website and that includes a VAT (value added tax) of 22% which is not applied if the item is shipped out of the Euro zone. Thus the actual price in U.S. dollars would be $907.14--Less than half of Defender's price.
Defender did not make an appearance at this year's boat show">Annapolis boat show, the first time ever. I wonder if they are about to go bankrupt and if this could explain their change in pricing structure. I used to buy thousands of dollars of equipment from them but they are no longer competitive.
You can see for yourself by going to this website: I wonder why the Isotherm BL 75 is sold by Defender for $1824.95 while being offered by a European website for 1163 Euros minus the 22% VAT which would make the actual price $907.14 in U.S. dollars. Defender price is more than double. There must be an explanation for this very large difference. In any case, please give me your best price and explain why you can not match the French price. Here is the French website showing the item with price.
http://www.yachtshop.it/produit_osculati/5004200/Osculati%20-%20R%C3%A9frigerateur%20BI75%2075%20litres
MorganSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Defender Marine Price More Than Double Competition

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Morgan.

Are they still on strike? ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ke-152519.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:41   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Defender made a business decision to stop going to boat shows. This wasn't a decision of weakness, but rather they have decided to maintain a certain size and operation style, and boat shows don't fit into this. AFAIK, they are still making money hand over fist and are not in debt.

As for prices, once in a while I run across outrageous specific examples like yours. I suspect these are due to some type of mistake, but I have never had a reason to ask them directly.

In general, however, I find their prices overall to be lower than many other top-end places and higher than only a few small drop-ship-only places whose business is hanging on the next order.

And Defender's service and support is first-rate, including their willingness and ability to muscle manufacturers on your behalf should something be intrinsically wrong with a product.

On certain things they are about the best prices and inventory. For example, we recently bought a new dinghy and they were the second best price we could find, but the only company in the US that actually had them in stock. It was delivered the next day, while everyone else had a 4-8wk wait.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:45   #4

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

I don't see that brand/model in the Defender catalog....

They just added on huge addition to their warehouse/store so I doubt they're in any trouble.
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:59   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You do have to do your due diligence on everything, you just cannot assume anything.
I don't know why, but I have seen several thousand dollars difference in prices of certain big ticket items, as you say do people actually pay double for something? Apparently the answer is yes.
Sometimes Defender is the best price, sometimes not, often I will buy from them as simply put I trust them, but many times I have saved much going elsewhere.

Do be very careful of who you buy big ticket items from, sometimes they are not an authorized re-seller and if not, often that means you have no warranty, so make sure they are authorized.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
As for prices, once in a while I run across outrageous specific examples like yours... In general, however, I find their prices overall to be lower than many...
My experience exactly. Now and then one of their items seems to be unusually high, but for the most part their prices match, or are less than, West Marine and other similar retailers.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:07   #7
cruiser

this might be clickbait... a first-time post with a link and complaint. SPAM is becoming more subtle, I'll give it that
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:29   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I am always suspicious of a noob who's first post is dedicated to slamming or defaming a particular product or service.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post
this might be clickbait... a first-time post with a link and complaint. SPAM is becoming more subtle, I'll give it that
Good point. I had not noticed that this was a first post. Perhaps a legitimate question, but certainly a bit suspicious.

In any case... Defender is, and will continue to be, my first stop when shopping for marine goods. If nothing else, you can be pretty certain that if you find it for less than their price, then you have found it for a very good price indeed.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:48   #10

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

I's always difficult to compare prices in different countries let alone different continents.

Hard enough between Canada and the US; I know from first hand experience.

Why don't you buy the unit from Italy and let us know how much you have paid by the time you get it ?

Good Luck,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:00   #11

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

They settled their strike about three weeks ago....
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:46   #12

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that a product made in Italy would have a lower purchase price from an Italian retailer than from a US retailer. I suspect when customs and shipping costs are applied the price difference will largely disappear.

Of course that didn't use to be the case. I remember talking to a Brit back in the 80s who purchased a Lokata RDF (Brit product) from Defender and had it shipped to the UK because it was cheaper than going to a local retailer.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:12   #13

Boat: Sea Ray 270

You should always compare prices. I think Defender is in many cases lower than the competition, but not always. For instance I just bought some liquid gelcoat and it was cheaper on Amazon than Defender. And a LOT cheaper than West Marine. I am also getting ready to buy a refrig system and Defender is the cheapest I can find (Isotherm VE 150 system $675).
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:17   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Interesting how many have jumped to Defender's defense. I have also has good experience with them and they are generally at or near the best prices I can find. If the poster's claim does not check out I agree he should be booted. A first post slamming a business is very suspicious.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:19   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

The ONLY way to make a fair comparison would be to look at a US supplier. Defender does not import these, they buy them from Indel in Florida. Indel controls the pricing to an extent with their wholesale pricing, and that will be the same for any reseller, assuming they are buying the same quantities.

I kinda consider the OP to be trolling....

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender, marine, price