Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2008, 16:44   #1

Boat: Ranger 33
Deck Cargo/Sea Freight

Hello All,
I bought a 33ft Ranger sloop to sail from Long Beach USA to Brisbane Australia. We were intercepted by Hurricane Genevieve and had to turn back. Out of time and money, my only alternative now is to ship her back to Australian as sea freight.

I have received quotes from US$25000 to US$30000..... as I have spent most of my funds preparing the boat for the ocean passage so there is not much money left in the cocky jar.

My question is this, is there a cheaper method to getting the boat back to Australia....like a back load or some other little known method.

If anyone has any insider industry advice or know of a shipper that does great deals please let me know...

Regards

George
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 17:17   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
George--

You've already had the bloody rig removed and now you're asking for advise on shipping? Rather closing the barn door after the horses have gone walkabout no?

Put the rig back up and wait 'till November. Sail the Ha-Ha for training (say hello the Skip Spindler for us) and then take a right at Cabo and make for Tahiti on the "milk run". You should be able to make Oz by mid-Spring, even if you have to do it in hops.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 17:32   #3

Boat: Hartley Tasman 27'3" Kaea (50/50 motor sailor) & Laurent Giles GK24 IOR 1/4 tonner
I can't help with price estimates, as I have no idea. I am curious as to what shipping companies your quotes are from. I have noticed that where I am in New Zealand the majority of deck loaded yachts on container ships, seem to be on Hapag Loyd ships. I don't know if that has anything to do with price or not. If your boat was less than 7'8" breadth and under about 9' height, the cheapest option would be inside a container, though at 33' that would be unlikely. Usually boats take up about three container widths on a container ship which I could see having an adverse affect on price. Another consideration is whether or not it would have to be trans shipped onto another ship on route. Would it be cheaper to go to another port than your home one? Probably unlikely as ships generally work their way south down the Australian coast from the States.

Is it possible to have it loaded as deck cargo on a bulk carrier? Would that have an affect on cost? A ships craine could be used for launching from a bulk carrier.
stuartcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 17:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Have you tried some of the brokers? I found these by doing a Google.

Royal Yacht & Ship Brokerage

Yacht Transport, Boat Transport

YACHTRANSPORT.COM

World Express Inc.

There seems to be a number of ships that specialize in the transport of yachts now so perhaps competition is driving down prices some?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 19:43   #5

Re doing it yourself using project shipping (ie your "like a back load or some other little known method" request) - I suspect this will not turn out to be attractive unless you are very lucky. I also suspect that the cost of any form of transport is likely to be unattractive unless the boat is of high value.

I have had a couple of around 80 foot new power boats transported as deck cargo as a project over a longer passage than you plan by Clipper Elite Carriers ships - www.cecshipping.com with no problems. You will see that they have project offices in both USA and Australia but I don't know how interested they would be in a small load though. The passage was on a ship that was essentially empty after unloading but its route to its next port of loading fitted us with little deviation.

Cost may depend on the availability of the ships and their routing matching your needs, but if you are flexible timing wise that may become easier. You will have to get the boat to the ship, meet a strict loading window and may pay a large penalty if you miss it or otherwise cause the vessel a delay. Cost of the supporting cradle for the boat on deck may be considerable, be required to be approved by the ship if they are not providing it and the insurance risk for shipped keel boats is relatively high compared to many other cargoes. You will also have to make sure all entry and exit costs, taxes, duties, other documentation, stevedoring, land transport, etc are being taken care of by someone and you yourself or someone authorised by you may be required by the project ship's master to be on hand at loading and unloading to sign the cargo off as received in good condition (in my case I was authorised by the owner of the boats to do this and we also arranged to have a representative of the insurer on board to inspect the loading to avoid arguments with them later if damage occurred then or during the passage).

You could use a logistics company to do all this for you but I suspect that will take you back to the result you have now - regular shipping.

I would be surprised if you made significant gains on the price you mention though compared to shipping by regular services, especially if the boat will fit into a 40 foot container the internal height of which is a little under 2.4 meters so almost sure to be too little headroom, or 2.7 meters for a 40 foot High Cube one which might just squeeze in if your boat is of shallow draft (boat weight is not a problem) - but I have never shipped a boat in a container to be sure of the cost advantage. If the mast won't fit in the 40 foot High Cube container see if a 45 foot High Cube is available, otherwise, a long shot but I would look at sending the mast by air. The logistics company you should talk to if intending container or other regular shipping may have other suggestions for all this - I would also ask about letting them use spare space in the container for their other client cargo should you be able to fit the boat in a container, especially if a 45 foot container.

The case I mention was part of a bigger project so I can't remember the final shipping costs but was originally estimated to be approx USD100,000 per boat but turned out to be considerably more, that a few years back. It was a slightly longer passage than you contemplate and did not require cradles (they were cats so were able to be sat simply on timbers laid on deck - the shipping need was known when they were designed so they also had tie down points already built into their structure, so all very simple) - in this case loading/unloading was to/from the sea so no stevedoring charges applied either.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 19:24   #6

Thanks for all your input. The cradle is being built as we speak and I'll get her remeasured and then go shopping around for better prices Its tough...lol..thanks again...I'll keep you posted on the results...

Cheers
Old 17-08-2008, 20:20   #7

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Try Loadaboat, Google it. I got a quote of $11,000 base cost from a rep. That was less than I was going to charge for delivery from San Diego to Hawaii (the boat needed gear and work to be sea ready).
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 20:24   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'd wonder if dropping the keel would make the difference needed to fit the boat in a cargo cube. And, if you were paying by pound, if it made sense to leave the keel behind and replace it in Oz. All in all, dropping a keel and rebedding it is a minor job if it allows you to fit the boat in a cube & lower the overall bills. Sometimes, if the boat is too wide to fit level in a cube, it can be canted (tilted) to fit.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 21:03   #9

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
How old is it the newest I can find is 1978 and there only upto 20k for a good one It looks like a case off good money after bad.
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 04:35   #10

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'd wonder if dropping the keel would make the difference needed to fit the boat in a cargo cube. And, if you were paying by pound, if it made sense to leave the keel behind and replace it in Oz. All in all, dropping a keel and rebedding it is a minor job if it allows you to fit the boat in a cube & lower the overall bills. Sometimes, if the boat is too wide to fit level in a cube, it can be canted (tilted) to fit.
Nice thought but the keel is encapsulated in the hull...

thanks though
Old 19-08-2008, 04:42   #11

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Try Loadaboat, Google it. I got a quote of $11,000 base cost from a rep. That was less than I was going to charge for delivery from San Diego to Hawaii (the boat needed gear and work to be sea ready).

I'll give them a go...thanks Roy
Old 19-08-2008, 04:50   #12

Boat: owned a 6m single hull sailing boat, a HIRONDELL 23 cat and chartered modern +8m ELAN boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Put the rig back up and wait 'till November. Sail the Ha-Ha for training
+1
25000$
Old 19-08-2008, 12:51   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I wonder if you could contract with a sailing school: contract or lease-back with them, let them use the boat for a "trans-pacific delivery class". They charge the student crew, handle the expenses, return the boat to you at the end.

Even if you still subsidize part of the operation...
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 13:02   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Let the Shipping companies and brokers know that you will go on standby for a 40% fee of regular rates and keep shopping.

Sooner or later, something will turn up….good luck!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 16:22   #15

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Let the Shipping companies and brokers know that you will go on standby for a 40% fee of regular rates and keep shopping.

Sooner or later, something will turn up….good luck!
Thanks for that ...I didn't know that option was available......that's what I'm talking about...this forum is about the best thing around for info....

cheers Pelagic

George