Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 11:26   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Hang it from the dinghy davits...
Just use the spinnaker pole with the main halyard and process the beast on the front deck. Good for a dinghy hoist too.

OF course I don't even like cleaning fish, so there you go.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 17:37   #32

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
Unfortunately, I'm on the boat, so I don't have the available bandwidth for videos. Costs me a fortune to watch them.
Doh! That's true.

Anyhow, in a nutshell, he buys and cooks great healthy food for $21 a week but he is only on day 1. Interested in seeing how well he does the rest of the week.

My wife is now doing the $1 a meal challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Careful about shopping at Walmart and Costo! Somethings are not less expensive or the savings maybe small enough that an extra trip in worth it. . If you can do it, it's better to make a round of stores to take advantage of the best deals in each and plan 2nd for when you can't get to the "best" store for an item.

For example, cream is 8.00 per quart King Soopers and 8.00 per half gallon at Costco. Total no brained right? But Costco is way out of my way if I don't need a long list of items. So I go to Target for cream for 4.19 per quart. Only 40 cents more than Costco for a half gallon.

Another tip: Scout the half price meat bin. The meat will still be good but there might only be a day or two left on code. Cook the meat right away and freeze the cooked meat for later use in casseroles, stews, enchiladas, etc.

The Ramen noodles thing....I did that too for a while. And man was I skinny! Not good!
Good stuff! My wife just scored a huge cuban bread loaf for 30 cents at Walmart. Thats enough for three meals for us.

I have a confession to make... I LOVE RAMAN NOODLES. Add some peas, carrots, shallots, and some pulled chicken... whatever... and it makes a great lunch. I know I know full of MSG.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 08:39   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Doh! That's true.

Anyhow, in a nutshell, he buys and cooks great healthy food for $21 a week but he is only on day 1. Interested in seeing how well he does the rest of the week.

My wife is now doing the $1 a meal challenge.

Good stuff! My wife just scored a huge cuban bread loaf for 30 cents at Walmart. Thats enough for three meals for us.

I have a confession to make... I LOVE RAMAN NOODLES. Add some peas, carrots, shallots, and some pulled chicken... whatever... and it makes a great lunch. I know I know full of MSG.
Very true! There's a restaurant in Hawai'i that serves only Saimin, IIRC, they have over 40 different versions of it. I've dropped an egg into it, added some garnishes, some left over deli meat or chicken. You can really perk it up with just about anything!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote