Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2009, 11:58   #61

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I hope one day you'll be able to get yours in the water and maybe enjoy the cruising life.
Wow Rick! They really are beautiful! Nicely outfitted with great canvas too. Thanks for the thought, and we are on schedule for a summer splashing. I've been at this for over five years, and sometimes I get a little crotchety.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 13:55   #62

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Well, according to Vasco's profile he already has two over 35 feet.

!

Well there ya go!....that will drive any man to drinkin...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 13:57   #63

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post

>We will keep up a house as a "base", pd for but need tax/ins $500/mth

Rent the house out, that will cover it and help pay for everything else. Let's say + $1,500/month (I'm guessing)

>Boat Ins & Maintenance (used 40-50' cat) $850/mth

Never had insurance, would go without it again unless forced to get 3rd party by some countries Do as much maintenance as you can yourself- $250/month (if something breaks down consider tossing it and living without it)

>Stay in a Marina about 30-40% while traveling on land $2,000/mth

We seemed to stay in marinas one or two days a year, neglibible

>Communications, cell, email etc $200/mth

Not necessary

>Fuel for boats/car rentals, Toys etc $500/mth

$50/month is generous

> Gifts/Postage for friends and family $200/mth

Not necessary

> Kids Schooling materials $600/mth

We didn't bother with that either, but did spend a bit extra coz of kids - say $100/month

> Car Insurance need to maintain for rentals and return $55/mth

NOt necessary, only issue was on returning they wanted me to pay heaps coz I had no history , so I bought a 30 yr old Corolla and didn't insure it.

>Health Ins Co-Pay $600/mth

We come from a country where health ins is not the norm so have never had it. Found really good health services most places when required at very affordable prices (except for the US where the system sucks)

> Food and all other living expenses for family of 4 $1,500/mth

A bit high but OK.

> Entertainment e.g. kite sailing lessons/excursions for kids etc $500/mth

We got by on less as the entertainment tended to stem from where we were and what we were doing, lets say $250/ month

Total cash required assuming boat and house paid for $7,505/mth

So can it be done on $500/mth... all you have to do is delete 93% of the above line items..

Cheers

With surplus from the house rental I make it around $650/month.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 17:52   #64

Boat: a sailing boat
1) USD 500 per month luxury to me, unless I am to use a marina, (now I am with this budget in a marina, but it is an inexpensive one). But at USD 500 per month the boat will deteriorate, it is more like a survival or extended and off-shore budget.

2) Has anybody here noticed there is one bottle less in post 25 as compared to post 23 ????

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 01:56   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I think of current "active" cruisers on the forum MarkJ and Nicolle would be a good couple to ask. Probably because I have met them on their stop through here. They are definitely not extravagant but they are enjoying the hell out of their trip.

I bought my modest 26 footer to gather real world data on upkeeping a boat. The boat is in just about as good a shape as when I bought it and it costs $7,700 per year (after 32 months of data) just to keep the boat in good nick, insured and moored.

I could defer maintenance for a year and put the $650 per month in living expenses and be sure I could feed and clothe myself. After a year there would be something needed on the boat and I would be stuck.

YMMV
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 11:45   #66

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I think of current "active" cruisers on the forum MarkJ and Nicolle would be a good couple to ask. Probably because I have met them on their stop through here. They are definitely not extravagant but they are enjoying the hell out of their trip.

I bought my modest 26 footer to gather real world data on upkeeping a boat. The boat is in just about as good a shape as when I bought it and it costs $7,700 per year (after 32 months of data) just to keep the boat in good nick, insured and moored.

I could defer maintenance for a year and put the $650 per month in living expenses and be sure I could feed and clothe myself. After a year there would be something needed on the boat and I would be stuck.

YMMV
Then dump the insurance and when you go cruising the are minmal mooring fees unless you choose otherwise. Now do the sums again.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 12:04   #67
cruiser

I've been cruising BC waters for decades , fulltime, and done several trips to Mexico and the South Pacific for far less than that. One I did without an engine, so there is no excuse for high diesel consumption, other than laziness. I don't know what the port fees in the West Indies are, but I doubt you'd have much problem ,outside of port fees. I haven't put a case of beer aboard in decades and I buy my food largely bulk, after figuring out how much I was paying others to can it for me, and how many toxins they were adding, for their convenience.
I've never bothered with insurance, and I replaced my first boat after losing her on Fijian coral reef for far less than it would have cost me to insure her. I'd rather insure my life against wasting too much of it on the treadmill. Insurance companies won't buy you back the days you've wasted.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 12:08   #68

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
Then dump the insurance and when you go cruising the are minmal mooring fees unless you choose otherwise. Now do the sums again.

Im sorry.......but dump the insurance.....in 2009 are we sailing without insurance, in toronto you cant dock at a marina without proof of insurance

what happens if someone hits your sailboat, and you dont have insurance and they dont have insurance

......well there goes you budget as your boat sinks

I think insurance is something you MUST include in your budget, if your small boat drags and damages my small boat, guess what... your going to have a bad day unless you have insurance
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 13:54   #69

Quote:
I think insurance is something you MUST include in your budget
Maybe you can't get a long-term slip without proof of insurance, but if you're cruising it's different. I've never once been asked for proof of insurance when staying at a marina on a transient basis (that is, out cruising).

It's really just about an individual's perception of risk, I think.

MikeZ
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 13:56   #70

If we are talking about strictly liability insurance, it's not that big of a deal...

Old 15-12-2009, 16:17   #71

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACK OFF View Post

... in toronto you cant dock at a marina without proof of insurance ...
OK, but what sort of insurance? In the EU it is to cover the damage the cruiser can make to the marina/other users - 60 Euro per year, only.

I can't believe you are supposed to have full (TL) insurance! No freedom in America left? Revolutionize!

Otherwise, I think if we go for full boat insurance, health insurance, etc. then there will be very few cruisers left. Another good reason to "go small, go young".

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 16:24   #72

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
IF TL means Total Loss...then no you do not have to have that...what you are required to have for marinas is Liability only and oil spill rider usually.
If the bank holds your title yes you will be required to provide damage and replacement coverage as well.

Sailing around here with million+ dollor boats all around I would not even think about not having liability ins.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 16:24   #73

Guys, you do not need comprehensive coverage in ANY marina that I know of. Some marinas want to see liability insurance...it's really not that expensive. You should be able to afford it, even on a limited budget...

Old 15-12-2009, 16:28   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
I could also save money by not repacking the liferaft...

(Sorry a little cynicism to start the day)

Proof of (liability) insurance is a requiremnt for licensing here.

Mooring costs are $1,000 per year. I reckon I could eat that up at ports of call.

Your suggestion saves about $120 per month.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 16:33   #75

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
alot of places around toronto like Ontario Place and my boat slip in Pickering want you to carry a min. of 2 million liability insurance.

the cost for insurance depends on the year and size of your boat and your previous insurance history and soon they will also include your credit rating to determine your insurance rate.

you do not mention how much insurance 60 euros per year buys.
but I hope it buys alot
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote