Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 16:39   #256

Boat: Horizon 39
Thanks Oirissail. Yer bloods worth bottling

I find banks are a bit like airlines. If you have a good crew you will have a good ride.
Old 03-10-2010, 19:29   #257

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
"Mike43 Thanks Oirissail. Yer bloods worth bottling"

Considering that on occasion it reaches 50 proof, that might be a money-making idea.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 20:01   #258
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Best bets pre-paid cards you can top up as and when online... available in all major currencies

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 21:02   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
"Mike43 Thanks Oirissail. Yer bloods worth bottling"

Considering that on occasion it reaches 50 proof, that might be a money-making idea.
Are you an accountant or a lawyer?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:02   #260
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Top Ten Tips for cruising on the ultracheap

I've been reading the October issue of Latitude 38. On page 110 (at least in the pdf version) is an article entitled Top Ten Tips written by "noted sailing skinflint David Wegman". An enlightening, irreverent, and somewhat potty mouthed read. You can grab the e-version from the Latitude 38 site or your favorite bookstore.

And I'd avoid eating or drinking while reading this. Keyboards and monitors are hard to clean.
Old 04-10-2010, 16:19   #261

Boat: Endeavour 37
Mark is it truly your point that cruising on the cheap is hedonistic while cruising with more financial resources is not? If so, I think after you reconsider your statement you might agree that hedonism is not measured by whether you have the money to fly home to see your parents on their death bed. How each one of us deal with parental morbidity is not so easily catagorized. Rather it is a philosophical question and psychological process that will very drastically depending upon the facts. Therefore, it would be rather inappopriate to label you as hedonstic for cruising the mediterranean instead of staying closer to your mom.

I will agree with you that if you have children or aging parents, cruising without an emergency fund to get you to their location is certainly irresponsible. However, the plane ticket fund is not part of monthly expense, but rather a fixed expense. An expense nontheless that all cruisers should prepare to fund before leaving.

But really Mark, hedonistic for not having the money to fly home. Don't you think that for the most part all cruisers hedonistic. You and the boat are a microcosm, how much more hedonistic can you get.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 16:40   #262
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
To others who may be reading I put a post up and then deleted it before this response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjop View Post
Mark is it truly your point that cruising on the cheap is hedonistic while cruising with more financial resources is not?
Nope, not saying that at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjop View Post

I will agree with you that if you have children or aging parents, cruising without an emergency fund to get you to their location is certainly irresponsible. However, the plane ticket fund is not part of monthly expense, but rather a fixed expense. An expense nontheless that all cruisers should prepare to fund before leaving.
I think it is part of the monthly expense. Its got to be saved for along with everything else. $500 moonth includes fixed expenses.. it has to beacsue where else does the money come from?

The most difficult thing I have found is to have an emergency fund (contingency fund). I always said I would have a $5,000 contingency fund. One of our old and bold members whos not here anymore said: No you wont! Cruising means you'll never have that contingency fund!
Well he was right! But I can scrape together something that a $500 per month cruiser would have much less chance of doing.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 18:36   #263

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
That is why any thread pushing $xxx/month really isn't valid unless strict definitions are outlined about what is and what is not counted in the $xxx/month. When you start including "everything" in your life that costs money including the cruising then you get numbers in the $15K; $30K; and $60K ranges per year for young/healthy/KISS boats; middle aged/few health problems/medium size monohulls and small cats; and old retired/medium health/large monos and cats.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 13:56   #264
cruiser

I have never considered working many decades to cruise in luxury, as hedonistic as maximizing cruising time, by living cheaply and heading out to sea and off the treadmill at an early age.
When I was cruising French Polynesia in my early 20's, in my first boat I never considered those in their sixties, on their first cruise, after having worked their whole lives to get there, as successfully hedonistic as I was.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 14:23   #265
Long Range Cruiser

I wonder what catagory I fit?

Sort of longish lasting and tepid intensity?

But if I live to 8o I would have had more experience at hedonism... if I can remember how to do it, or indeed if I kown I am having pleasure or not....?

Old 07-10-2010, 14:35   #266
Long Range Cruiser

By the way, those on $500 per month US dollars will be a tad disgruntled to know that their currency has gone down in the last little while against the Aussie dollar.

Aussies on $500 per month (or more) are all extreemly gruntled!!!!!!!!

Our $500 is now almost your $500.

Old 07-10-2010, 14:36   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The most difficult thing I have found is to have an emergency fund (contingency fund). I always said I would have a $5,000 contingency fund. One of our old and bold members whos not here anymore said: No you wont! Cruising means you'll never have that contingency fund!
Well he was right! But I can scrape together something that a $500 per month cruiser would have much less chance of doing.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Do you mean you left without a contingency fund or that you found yourself tapping into it once underway?

Thanks,

Peter-Jan
Peter-Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 15:00   #268
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-Jan View Post
Hi Mark,

Do you mean you left without a contingency fund or that you found yourself tapping into it once underway?

Thanks,

Peter-Jan
Hi Peter-Jan,

I thought I would have a $5,000 contingency fund but there was a currency flutuation when I was buying the boat in another country so between the deposit and the main payment my whole stash of cash got sucked into the ether.
In our whole 2 1/2 years I have not been able to restore it.

Consequently I know what its like to live this cruising stuff with little flexability

Mark

Old 07-10-2010, 15:14   #269

[QUOTE=MarkJ;536031]By the way, those on $500 per month US dollars will be a tad disgruntled to know that their currency has gone down in the last little while against the Aussie dollar.

Aussies on $500 per month (or more) are all extreemly gruntled!!!!!!!!

Our $500 is now almost your $500.

With a rental in Aus and a rental in US. Perhaps at last I can burn that candle at both ends.

First must sell wife, well broken in, some maintainance required. Any takers. She'll get the mine.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:24   #270

cup o soups mate, 6 of them for 2 dollars...thats only 10 dollars for lunch for a month
jyoung is offline   Reply With Quote