Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2010, 16:24   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Just get a condo and forget the cruising then you'll be happier.
Old 14-06-2010, 16:34   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Just get a condo and forget the cruising then you'll be happier.

It does eventually come to this for most of us but hopefully after many, many years of being on the water. Getting there soon,maybe. But not yet, although most of the folks I used to sail with are in condoland. I visit one ex-cruiser twice a year (Vero Beach) and it takes fifteen minutes to read all the "NO's" on the entrance to their property. Too many rules.
Old 14-06-2010, 16:50   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
It's hard to think of doing things differently. Maybe better liquor I'd probably eat out more, although I love to cook. I guess I'd stop considering that I'll need to make some money someday

Old 14-06-2010, 18:07   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
geeez--since when does living and sailin gthe waters have to cost a lot of money!!! i made 90k/yr for my last 5 yrs working..LOL...now i clear 1700 per month.does that meani ccanno townmy bots ??
does thatmean i cannot sail them as far away as i wanna sail them??? who is making the rules here???? why are you making these stupid rules?? ther eis no reason on this earth why living on waaay loess is a crime or a problem?? is only a problem for those who are no table to see any alternatives or see the native places they visit when cruising under sail...things do not have to come from expensive stores --- lordie--if they did , i would be in trouble--my ancestors used to tell me to never pay retail!!!!!! go figger..... so please tell me why it is i cannot go sailing???? i only make under 30k/yr......

condos suck dog tails.....muddy ones..LOL....
Old 14-06-2010, 18:12   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Net or gross? The way some peoples taxes are it could be the difference between impoverished or embellished.

Can we count depreciation cost against that?

Life begins where land ends.
Old 14-06-2010, 18:12   #21

The places I plan to cruise $5000 a month would would make me the king and some.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 14-06-2010, 18:23   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
As was said by others - $5K/month is not all that much money. And a lot of contemporary cruisers are doing just that. What is conveniently ignored in all the various threads on cost of cruising is the cost of maintaining your "ties" to land and your home country. Retirement income is not tax-free so lop off 20% or more for that. Then medical insurance; medicare; drug coverage, supplemental takes another 10% off every year. Finally, catamarans, and larger boats with more convenience of life equipment cost a lot of money to maintain - so there goes another 10%. Finally, add in air fares home with car rentals, condos, or even homes kept up for your annual visit home and you have another 10-15% off the $5K/month.
- - What you end up with is really just half that amount or about $2.5K/month for actual cruising on the boat. A number which encompasses a large number of current cruisers. Life is not free, and a comfortable life is what we worked hard for all those decades in the job market. So maybe the OP probably was trying to pick a number thought to be "wild," but it really is a mainstream number - if - you include ALL the costs of living.
Old 14-06-2010, 19:57   #23

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
"So maybe the OP probably was trying to pick a number thought to be "wild," but it really is a mainstream number - if - you include ALL the costs of living. "

Have no actual experience cruising, so take this for what it's worth, but I do run numbers for a living and $5k/mth unless you want to hang out on a uninhabitated island somewhere warm is not lavish by any means... I can't make those numbers work for a 45' CAT and family of 4... need something closer to $75k/yr and $100k/yr is more realistic... but we plan to hang out in developed markets...so much more expensive... I think that single point is what probably make the most difference, where you cruise..

Cheers
Old 14-06-2010, 19:58   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
As was said by others - $5K/month is not all that much money. And a lot of contemporary cruisers are doing just that. What is conveniently ignored in all the various threads on cost of cruising is the cost of maintaining your "ties" to land and your home country. Retirement income is not tax-free so lop off 20% or more for that. Then medical insurance; medicare; drug coverage, supplemental takes another 10% off every year. Finally, catamarans, and larger boats with more convenience of life equipment cost a lot of money to maintain - so there goes another 10%. Finally, add in air fares home with car rentals, condos, or even homes kept up for your annual visit home and you have another 10-15% off the $5K/month.
- - What you end up with is really just half that amount or about $2.5K/month for actual cruising on the boat. A number which encompasses a large number of current cruisers. Life is not free, and a comfortable life is what we worked hard for all those decades in the job market. So maybe the OP probably was trying to pick a number thought to be "wild," but it really is a mainstream number - if - you include ALL the costs of living.
Just get the condo and be done with it!
Old 14-06-2010, 21:07   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
condos suck dog tails.....muddy ones..LOL....
ewwww

Old 14-06-2010, 21:09   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
The places I plan to cruise $5000 a month would would make me the king and some.
King s good though I think princes get all the chicks

Old 14-06-2010, 23:14   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I would like $5k per month, but as others have pointed out its not excessive.

What it could provide us with:

1 trip for 2 home each year including accomodation (Mum refuses to have us sleep on the floor in the nursing home) @ $5,000

Marina visit for a few days each month for provisioning, water, showers, washing, boat boy to do polish?

Marina visit for 2 days per month and HOTEL accomadion to properly wash Nicolle in big luxury turbo spa bath

A few extra restuarant meals (goods places, top of the menu and good plonk!)

Being able to replace, when due, equipment with near top of the range geer.

I think those simple things would really enhance our lovability of the long term, long range cruising life

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 15-06-2010, 03:30   #28
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I would still budget to cruise on $500, but go way over budget on comforts if I felt like it, just like we do when we "flashpack"!!! I would use the rest to pay for a boat guy to watch it in a marina whilst we go skiing.
Old 15-06-2010, 08:30   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Just get the condo and be done with it!
Comments such as this fail to serve any constructive purpose, and ending them with a smilie only tends to emphasize the passive/aggressive stance of the poster.

Members of this forum come from a diverse background of cruising lifestyles and preferences. This divergence is what makes Cruiser's Forum a particularly valuable resource. It becomes counterproductive for one member to play the Troll and criticize the lifestyles of others. This holds true for the as much for the $500-per-month cruiser criticizing the $5,000-per-month cruiser as it would otherwise.

Our "Be nice" standard does not appear to resonate with all who use this forum. Perhaps an alternative ethic would be one of the rules found in nature: Don't foul the nest."
Old 15-06-2010, 09:41   #30

Boat: Miura 30.5ft
I dont think I would do anything different. Will still cruise on $500 a month. I will now just have an a additional $4500 to spend on booze! This could get way out of hand!!
Closed Thread