Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2014, 06:59   #361

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Sounds like a job I would have a problem doing. The head on my boat is a Nature's Way so the thru hull fittings were removed and the holes plugged and fiber glassed over. I have outboards so no thru hulls there. In fact there are no thru hulls on my boat.

Last thing I did was defrost the Engel and wipe the inside down with paper towels and let it air out for a day.
I have a boat that is virtually cost free as well as requiring very little maintenance. No thru hulls (strainers) to clean, no pumps or systems to maintain and of course the boat is very reliable as are most other RIB's. Just don't punch a hole in them and drain the fuel from the carburator and never a problem. Carry a couple of spare plugs and a prop just in case and away you go.

But I thought this thread was about "cruising".

The cruising boat has 9 winches (2 electric) plus in mast furling and the windlass, there are 2 fridge systems ( 2 pumps), 3 aircons (3 pumps), 2 freshwater pumps, saltwater pumps, 2 heads (2 pumps), 3 bilge pumps, anchor bilge pump, most of which have thruhulls as well as thruhulls for the main engine and generator not to mention the deck drains, tank vents etc. In total I think that there are over 20 holes in the hull of the boat above and below the waterline. On top of all that there is a teak deck, relaid 4 years ago, and of course miles of stainless and varnish.

Needless to say, all this requires constant maintenance and upkeep as well as replacement of major systems as they reach their life expectancy. I just spent a week in Phuket installing a new inverter/charger to replace the old heart interface. The old one was still working although it needed a new fan due to bearings. After careful consideration decided to replace due to observed overall condition(s), ie. signs of overheating in past, and relocate new unit to better ventilated area.

In the course of the job replaced all AC wiring, all DC wiring, installed new controller with DC shunt and of course installed all associated wiring. On top of all that completely tore apart the AC and DC panel along with cabling strapping to remove old or obsolete cable runs that had just been cut off somewhere downstream and disconnected from the panel.

This is of course after just replacing the 900ah of Trojan T105 batteries in January.

The cost for parts alone on these 2 jobs was over $7,500.00US not counting my labour. Still have to install 2 RCD's which we couldn't get over here and will have to be shipped from US. More $$$$ I really do not think that you can get a true picture of cruising costs based on spending time in NA.

The wife insists that the only reason we own a boat is so that I will have something to work on and I am beginning to think she is right but everything will seem worthwhile again when we get to spend the next weeks diving in the crystal waters of Thailand.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:04   #362
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
I have a boat that is virtually cost free as well as requiring very little maintenance. No thru hulls (strainers) to clean, no pumps or systems to maintain and of course the boat is very reliable as are most other RIB's. Just don't punch a hole in them and drain the fuel from the carburator and never a problem. Carry a couple of spare plugs and a prop just in case and away you go.

But I thought this thread was about "cruising".

The cruising boat has 9 winches (2 electric) plus in mast furling and the windlass, there are 2 fridge systems ( 2 pumps), 3 aircons (3 pumps), 2 freshwater pumps, saltwater pumps, 2 heads (2 pumps), 3 bilge pumps, anchor bilge pump, most of which have thruhulls as well as thruhulls for the main engine and generator not to mention the deck drains, tank vents etc. In total I think that there are over 20 holes in the hull of the boat above and below the waterline. On top of all that there is a teak deck, relaid 4 years ago, and of course miles of stainless and varnish.
Luckily Cruising is pretty much moving from one spot to another. One need not cross oceans to cruise.

On my little boat I DON'T have any electric winches, windlass, water pumps, aircon. I do have a small 120V 3.5 CF fridge run from a $40 inverter. No teak deck and all exterior wood, (well most of it) is painted. Don't have a RIB either or an outboard.

I don't spend a lot of money on maintenance, as there is not a lot to maintain. I do carry spares for the whale foot pump. Have a spare bilge pump and spare inverter ($40) too. Plus belts, filters, rigging bits, etc, etc.

SO yes if you have a large boat with lots O systems then maintenance costs can and will be rather high. Be more an Amish sailor and the costs are quite reasonable. I can sail for over a year with what that inverter installation cost you.
Old 23-02-2014, 15:21   #363

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Decades ago, whilst I was an impoverished student in Manhattan, I frequented 5th Avenue on garbage night. I never paid a penny for furniture as a result.
One night, a bum started to ask me for a handout. Then, realizing what I was doing, he turned away disgusted, muttering " garbage picker" to himself.
Old 23-02-2014, 15:26   #364
CLOD

Boat: none

sorry, I showed up at the wrong thread and posted anyway
Old 23-02-2014, 17:08   #365

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Just changed my signature, gotta check it. it's from "Drowning" by The Who
Old 25-02-2014, 04:13   #366
CLOD

Boat: none

Based on a few other threads (even on different sites) it appears that the real low cost cruisers (those that post about it but get pissed if you ask for budget details) once challenged start to make a few claims aganist the $5k/mo sailor (this applies down to at least $3k and probably less):

- you people can not trim your sails
- you motor all the time
- you can not anchor and need a mooring/slip
- you need air conditioning all the time
- you couldn't find your way without your electronics
- you need insurance because you are dangerous
- you took a shower, real sailors don't take showers
- you need refrigeration, maybe you should learn to cook and to live on local roots
- you are "scared shitless"
- you can not maintain you own boat
- you have to travel in packs

Whether any of these are true or not doesn't really matter much to me, but I wonder why it matters to them what others do or don't need.
Old 25-02-2014, 05:00   #367

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Based on a few other threads (even on different sites) it appears that the real low cost cruisers (those that post about it but get pissed if you ask for budget details) once challenged start to make a few claims aganist the $5k/mo sailor (this applies down to at least $3k and probably less):

- you motor all the time
- you need refrigeration, maybe you should learn to cook and to live on local roots

Whether any of these are true or not doesn't really matter much to me, but I wonder why it matters to them what others do or don't need.
As someone who has participated in these other threads with you (even on other forums) I can say that YOU have a very skewed, bizarre, and "chip on your shoulder" view of the actual discussions. Did a $500/month sailor steal your dink, scratch your varnish, or perhaps dump their pee bottle in your cornflakes? Most of your posts in the frugal threads are aimed at destroying the discussion, and your comments in others (like this one) seem written only to denigrate and somehow prove to the world that you are right.

YOU come across as a sad and bitter man Don. Perhaps instead of snarling and dragging everyone down who doesn't see the world as you demand, perhaps YOU should seek real help from actual people. YOU are clearly not finding the affirmation YOU so desperately desire here on online forums.

P.S. I apologize to the thread here. I'm enjoying and learning from the discussion as well. Thanks .
Old 25-02-2014, 05:54   #368

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Nice post Mike. Hope it doesn't get removed.

MarkJ taught me my lesson in this thread with an earlier post about letting the $5k bunch have a chat rather than always tending to the frugal side.

The OP has gone over the line in defense of the higher dollar "cruiser" tho.
Old 25-02-2014, 07:39   #369

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I don't understand why 500 to 1000 dollar a month budget is hard to do. If you stay off the beaten path and out of the carib, europe and united states with the money exchange rates these days it shouldn't be that hard. Room and board are taken care of especially if your on the hook, Food is not that expensive at local markets,(and buy a recipe book or better yet download some for free) and early to bed means early to rise right?
Maintenance happens as well as break downs but a good investment account with frugal thinking can go a long way can't it?
Old 25-02-2014, 07:54   #370

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi! I guess it boils down to this...when I was a poor college kid, I used to go camping in a 2-person tent that I pitched in a campground overlooking the ocean. Not far from me, was an Airstream camper occupying a larger site; the Cadillac of campers. We both had the same beach/ocean view. The level of COMFORT was on a logarithmic scale difference, though.

That is what this thread is all about!

Mauritz
Old 25-02-2014, 08:23   #371

Boat: Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi! I guess it boils down to this...when I was a poor college kid, I used to go camping in a 2-person tent that I pitched in a campground overlooking the ocean. Not far from me, was an Airstream camper occupying a larger site; the Cadillac of campers. We both had the same beach/ocean view. The level of COMFORT was on a logarithmic scale difference, though.

Mauritz
Thanks for the post Teknav. When you posted this, I was thinking the same thing. Many of us who didn't come from money had that joyous college experience of living on $500-$1000 per month. While I never resorted to camping (bad idea in the Utah mountains), I did have to get some friends together and figure out how to get our apartment rent down to $125 a person.

Point is that I did it, I enjoyed it, I lived through it, I have fond memories of it, and I would never choose to do it again. Not because I can't do it, or wouldn't enjoy life. Just because for me, I prefer that extra level of comfort.
Old 25-02-2014, 08:31   #372
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post

Mauritz
Hum. I think its more like the airstream pulled by a pickup, pulling into a campground next to a big diesel pusher coach, that has two pop outs and a car towed behind it. Both offer many of the same comforts, but one is a lot newer, with more and newer systems.

That and the folks in the big new RV tend to look down on the older airstream parked beside them.

Don's OK, He's just annoyed that he's still working.....
Old 25-02-2014, 09:07   #373
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

- you motor all the time

But those things are all true!

Old 25-02-2014, 09:15   #374
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Nice post Mike. Hope it doesn't get removed.

MarkJ taught me my lesson in this thread with an earlier post about letting the $5k bunch have a chat rather than always tending to the frugal side.

The OP has gone over the line in defense of the higher dollar "cruiser" tho.
What this shows is that just like in the rest of society these days...there is a fostering of hatred for those with money. They are imediately thought to be bad, evil, corrupt, lazy, and have their money because they stole it from you. They are not "real cruisers" if they don't live and crusie like you...WTF is that about?

Why can't someone cruise on $6000/Mo and be just as great of a person as someone cruising on $1000/Mo but happens to have just made more money in life? This trend of demonizing people that have money is nuts...and that it even happens in the Cruising Community (where all of us are viewed as the evil 1-%ers by those that don't own Yachts) is even worse.
Old 25-02-2014, 09:24   #375
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My main reason for posting to this thread was to counter the notion that all people need $3000 to $5000 to cruise. For the Noob, there needed to be an opinion that says hey, it can be done for less. I mean, even if I had a new boat, I would be really hard pressed to spend $3000 a month. OH OK I could hire a pool boy... That would do it....

David, David, David, There you go, poking sticks into the ant hill again. Poor Don, No wonder he's so defensive.

Don Baby, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with that $3000 a month budget.
Closed Thread